Streaming Stranger Things - Netflix Original *SPOILERS*

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 10, 2000
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought it was really good but not sure about claims of it being great. It felt like a remake of ET with a monster from another dimension thrown in for good measure. Faithful reproduction of some old ideas but nothing new.

Season Two is going to have a hard time living up to the hype, hope they do it.

Loved the first season took me back to the days of hiring b grade horror movies from the video store

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Season Two is going to have a hard time living up to the hype, hope they do it.

Loved the first season took me back to the days of hiring b grade horror movies from the video store

Me too.

I remember going to my local video store with my dad and always browsed the Horror section and seeing vhs covers like The Toxic Avenger,Fright Night etc annoying my dad to hire them lols. Dad was pretty awesome to let me watch Horror films with him when I was like 8 or 9.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Only movie that ever scared me as a kid was Nightmare On Elm Street 3. That puppeteer death...

Grew up watching action and slasher flicks of the 70s and 80s, before everything shifted to PG13 and mainstream R rated franchises became a thing of the past.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Few extra cast members for next season
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/07/stranger-things-season-2-cast-goonies-aliens

Danish actress Linnea Berthelsen has been cast as Roman. Per Netflix, she’s “an emotionally damaged, magnetic young woman who suffered a great loss as a child. Although she does not live in Hawkins, she is mysteriously connected to the supernatural events at the lab…”

Paul Reiser (Aliens, Whiplash) has been cast as Dr. Owens, “a high-ranking member within the Department of Energy on a ‘clean-up’ assignment, tasked with containing the events of last year.”

Sean Astin (The Goonies, Lord of the Rings trilogy) will play Bob Newby, “a kindhearted former nerd who went to high school with Joyce (Winona Ryder) and Hopper (David Harbour) and now manages the local Hawkins RadioShack.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I thought it was really good but not sure about claims of it being great. It felt like a remake of ET with a monster from another dimension thrown in for good measure. Faithful reproduction of some old ideas but nothing new.

I think the way it was done was new but no story is really "new" any more. I suspect if thats the measure youre going to be disappointed with everything.

I think this was great but ill accept some disagree, its just that this critique of it feels like your reaching for something to dislike.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I think the way it was done was new but no story is really "new" any more. I suspect if thats the measure youre going to be disappointed with everything.

I think this was great but ill accept some disagree, its just that this critique of it feels like your reaching for something to dislike.

For me the impressive thing was how many influences and in some cases blatant rip-offs it contained, but the overall package still felt fresh. Just so well done that it didn't grate in the slightest, while giving you all these ultra nostalgic touchstones.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Sean Astin sounds like the perfect choice to accompany the others on an adventure

Probably going to be my favourite of the new cast.

Sean Astin (The Goonies, Lord of the Rings trilogy) will play Bob Newby, “a kindhearted former nerd who went to high school with Joyce (Winona Ryder) and Hopper (David Harbour) and now manages the local Hawkins RadioShack.”

Sep 10, 2000
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Critique of film and tv is very circumstantial and personal, however just off the top of my head I can name recent tv shows that to me were new (which I'm sure will open up a whole other debate).

1. Westworld (Though I've never seen the movie)
2. Game of thrones
3. Silicon Valley
4. Better call Saul
5. Veep
6. House of cards (Again never seen the original

Stranger things I think was deliberately created to feel familiar, much like the latest Star Wars film. I believe "familiar remakes" of tv shows and movies have a place in most people's viewing appetite, I personally do enjoy them, just don't believe they warrant rave reviews for achieving this feat.

jackn

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2006
aus
AFL Club
Carlton
Critique of film and tv is very circumstantial and personal, however just off the top of my head I can name recent tv shows that to me were new (which I'm sure will open up a whole other debate).

1. Westworld (Though I've never seen the movie)
2. Game of thrones
3. Silicon Valley
4. Better call Saul
5. Veep
6. House of cards (Again never seen the original

Stranger things I think was deliberately created to feel familiar, much like the latest Star Wars film. I believe "familiar remakes" of tv shows and movies have a place in most people's viewing appetite, I personally do enjoy them, just don't believe they warrant rave reviews for achieving this feat.
You've named a remake of a movie, remake of a TV show and a spin off to argue that there is originality in TV? I'm not disagreeing but they're not the best choices for supporting your argument.

I realise you're talking new to you personally, just find the choices funny.

You've named a remake of a movie, remake of a TV show and a spin off to argue that there is originality in TV? I'm not disagreeing but they're not the best choices for supporting your argument.

I thought the same thing, add in the book adaptation and the sitcom about i.t nerds.

As phantom13 said there is nothing new anymore, everyone is out of ideas

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Saw fantastic beasts and where to find them last night, now I'd probably argue the whole Harry Potter universe is pretty original but its still steeped in Witchcraft and Wizardry (Merlin even cops a reference) so if you drill down enough everything is "influenced" or directly ripping off something else, im sure people would argue that GoT is just a rip of Dungeons and Dragons (that could even be true for all I know).

I've spoken to a few people who didn't like Stranger Things, which is fine, but arguing that it didn't deserve praise because it was "unoriginal" just sounds like someone told you about it and talked it up and you went in looking for something to nitpick at. Totally your right to do though, TV is completely subjective, ive disliked plenty of critically acclaimed movies and TV shows I just find it strange (pardon the pun) that the nostalgia and referencing it did was what you thought didn't work, whereas most people list that as being one of the most likeable things from the series.

Sep 10, 2000
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

I understand your point but entertainment of all varieties (music/movies/tv) is personal and the fact I have seen ET which I believe Stranger Things is remarkably similar to does affect my enjoyment of it.

The original Westworld/House of Cards while perhaps more widely known that I realize, is certainly no ET in terms of reach or following, though your point stands these are not technically original concepts. I still believe they are original stories to many, who like myself were not aware of the previous makings.

Game of thrones again is not technically an original concept, but certainly original stories to even more people than the above mentioned tv shows considering the limited exposure the fantasy book world has.

Veep/Silicon Valley are original concepts.

Better Call Saul is arguably an original concept as well

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I understand your point but entertainment of all varieties (music/movies/tv) is personal and the fact I have seen ET which I believe Stranger Things is remarkably similar to does affect my enjoyment of it.

The original Westworld/House of Cards while perhaps more widely known that I realize, is certainly no ET in terms of reach or following, though your point stands these are not technically original concepts. I still believe they are original stories to many, who like myself were not aware of the previous makings.

Game of thrones again is not technically an original concept, but certainly original stories to even more people than the above mentioned tv shows considering the limited exposure the fantasy book world has.

Veep/Silicon Valley are original concepts.

Better Call Saul is arguably an original concept as well

Again you are completely entitled to your opinion and to a degree you are right (lots of Tarantinos works are unabashed rip offs but most people have never even heard of the stuff he plagiarizes so to them those concepts are entirely original).

All im saying is it seems like a stretch to say its unoriginality being the cause for you thinking it was overrated. Considering, as others have demonstrated, nothing is entirely original AND the nostalgia and authenticity of the series was in most peoples opinions one of the true triumphs of the show.

The highlighted is an odd thing to say. LoTR, Harry Potter... They hardly have "limited exposure" even my reference to Dungeons and Dragons (a board game ive literally never even seen and a terrible movie from the early 2000's) shows that people know of this stuff.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back