Streaming Stranger Things - Netflix Original *SPOILERS*

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Little bro just told me tonight that Season 3 was out. Would've started watching it with him earlier this evening if I wasn't watching the Pies and then in the post-game thread on BF for the next 3 hours. So I've only watched the first episode so far. More thoughts on that later, but first...

So I thought Season 1 was near perfection. Just an awesome love letter to 80's movies. So much heart, great characters, setting, story, music. Everything was on point.

Season 2 I thought was pretty disappointing. I tried to temper expectations as, from what I understand, there was no long term arc/expectations of carrying the show on beyond the first season and the first season ended in such a way that it was open ended but still would've been fine to just end it there.

I thought the first episode of Season 2 was good, but then it really dragged in the middle and finally picked up again in the last 2 episodes. I think it suffered from the producers/directors/whoeverthefvck paying too much attention to fans on social media and overdoing the the things fans liked about the first season;

-The main example would be Dustin, who we all adored in Season 1, but was given a bit too much screen-time in the 2nd season and overdid his character like having him say s**t about 200 times and just trying to have him steal too many scenes.

-Mike did nothing but sulk about El for almost the entire season. Okay, I get having him being upset and going into his shell a bit and that would've been fine for the first episode, but it just continued on and on to the point where I just thought "get him off my screen" which I hated to think because he was such a great character in the first season.

-Max and her brother Billy were the right kind of characters to introduce to the show, but I thought they were a bit lost as characters overall. They dragged the whole Max being a tough, stand-offish tomboy character on for way too long before she finally got some character development and Billy was the most generic and one-dimensional badboy antagonist you could get which is a pity as these types of characters were a staple of 80s movies and he either should've had less screen-time or done more than be a bossy prick to his sister and hoon around. They finally did more with him in the last episode and he's being used well so far in the first episode of Season 3. He's an Aussie boy so I hope he has a better role in this season.

-The score wasn't as good as the first season and I really can't think of many 80's songs they played except for the Ghostbuster's theme and Time After Time. In fact, overall the 80s theme in general just wasn't as prominent in Season 2.

-The first season had a better balance of appealing to that audience of people who grew up in the 80s and today's kids/teenagers. Season 2 seemed almost entirely aimed at today's audience while just kind of throwing a bone to the 80s kids with the occasional reference, song, movie etc... From what I've seen in facebook groups and forums a big part of the audience is the children of the 80s so it's disappointing they moved away from that.

-Episode 7 with Eleven going off and finding and joining the X-Men was far and away the worst episode of the show. The episode itself was unbelievably bad, but the idea that there's all these people out there with different super-powers was an awful revelation to introduce into the show. It took so much away from Eleven as a character for so many reasons. Why do it? Are these characters gonna come back into the show and use their powers to help stop the forces of the Upside Down? Man I hated this so much...

-Nancy and Jonathan hooking up is a prime example of listening too much to idiots on social media. Having them not hook up in the first season was a great subversion of fan expectations and should've carried on into the next season. They have no chemistry, and let's not forget, Jonathan was creeping on her big time in the first season. It was fine teasing us a little late in the first season but they should've left it at that. All the tension and build-up to them eventually getting together in Season 2 was pure cringe and dragged the show down so much.

To get to some of the positives of the season; I loved seeing actors like Sean Astin and Paul Reiser introduced to the show as they're so synonymous with the kind of 80s classics the show pays tribute to. The threat of the Underground is ramped up in a big way. Mrs Wheeler is a babe and continues getting plenty of screen-time. Will is forever going to be effected by the Upside Down which brings such a tragic aspect to the character and the show which I love. Again, I thought Season 2 started well, really dragged in the middle, but picked up again big time in the last 2 episodes, so despite being an overall disappointment, it left me still very much looking forward to Season 3. None of the weak points of the Season damaged the show in any irreparable way and some of the underdeveloped characters of Season 2 (Max and Billy) would have more time to continue developing.

Season 3 was a very fun first episode back. 80s nostalgia in full swing and it was great!
-The actor who's playing Billy has buffed up a bit and looks more the part of the quintessential 80s bully now. If his character brings the gorgeous Cara Buono into the show more then I'm happy.
-The threat of the underground continues to ramp up and those sneaky f'n Russians coming into the fold makes things interesting and is a great thing to introduce to the show as Russians were the main antagonist in the Regan-era of movies.
-It's interesting seeing how differently the kids are aging. Mike in particular went from looking 10 in the first season to 16. The rest of the kids only look maybe 2 years older.
-But what have they done to David Harbour? He had great people skills in the first season. He was the voice of reason. Now he's utterly clueless about how to handle dealing with a teenage relationship under his roof? So stupid and not true to the character at all.
-Loving Dustin and his ham radio set-up with that giant antenna out in the open field. You could tell it was gonna be important to the plot and sure enough he's already picking up transmission of those sneaky f'n Russians! Can't wait to see how this plays out!

So overall I liked the first episode. A few things annoyed me, but it's a great set-up and I'm loving falling back into the 80s nostalgia so much. Less 11 and Mike kissy kissy BS and more Mrs Wheeler looking fine and my main man Steve please!

Last edited:
Up to the fifth ep

First two episodes were boring but after that it’s been awesome

I really hate Nancy’s and jonathons storyline’s

I feel like they’re only in the show because of being in the first season.
Or maybe I just hate Nancy

I haven't really followed Stranger Things rumours since the last one, but everyone seems certain Season 4 is a thing? I thought it was a 3 season wrap last I'd heard. Pretty disappointing, it could only get worse from here.

6 eps done.. Would have finished it this weekend if I hadn't wasted the evening yesterday watching my own stupid footy team.
Watching the last 2 eps tomorrow and then I can return and post and read freely.

Really really hard to turn it off just then as need to go to bed for work, but could easily smash it all out tonight really

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smashed through 6 episodes today to finish this off. Last episode is pretty dam emotional.....

Any guesses on who the American is ?
Billy or Hopper ?
Or Brenner ?
Hoping it is Brenner. Watched the Hopper scene again, he has ten seconds from nodding at Joyce until the disintegration. Not sure if I could buy Hopper squeezing through the gate in that time.

Hoping it is Brenner. Watched the Hopper scene again, he has ten seconds from nodding at Joyce until the disintegration. Not sure if I could buy Hopper squeezing through the gate in that time.
From the moment the key started qigging out after putting Russian Terminator into it I thought th eonly way for Hoppper to survive would be to go to the Upside Down, then they'd spend season 4 getting him back. However, they did not develop that option at all and it looked like a pretty clear cut hero-sacrifice moment. However, on the flip side, Hopper was called "the American" throughout the back half of the season soooo

From the moment the key started qigging out after putting Russian Terminator into it I thought th eonly way for Hoppper to survive would be to go to the Upside Down, then they'd spend season 4 getting him back. However, they did not develop that option at all and it looked like a pretty clear cut hero-sacrifice moment. However, on the flip side, Hopper was called "the American" throughout the back half of the season soooo
It would also add a bit of poetic justice to his "keep the door open 3 inches line" to Eleven/Mike. When Owens and Co came in at the end, the gate was left ajar.

Was a really good piece of televsion, returned to Season 1 levels for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The story line with splitting the two groups of kids allowed all to shine, although Mike, Will and Lucas always seem to struggle a bit given who their in competition with in terms of impact and interest.

It would also add a bit of poetic justice to his "keep the door open 3 inches line" to Eleven/Mike. When Owens and Co came in at the end, the gate was left ajar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back