Strangest player in the league (past/present)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not so much weird but Chad Wingard has no interest in AFL outside of Port whatsoever doesn't watch any other games or read media.
Is more into NBA infact i recall an interview him saying he'd rather an NBA title any day over AFL, just plays because he's good nothing else.
Also believe he may abit of a loner within the playing group, Port fans may be able to elaborate more

For the last bit, might just be social media but I don't think that could be much further from the truth. Appears as though he's very much right in the thick of it as far as being involved with the group socially and is strongly involved in the clubs indigenous program.

Whilst Wingard has said he has little interest in getting caught up in the football world, not entirely sure how true this could be. Maybe I am just very sceptical, but I get the sense it's a bit of a personal branding thing, where there's a bit of benefit in he/his management portraying himself as the reluctant genius. In any case not too worried as he is a fantastic player regardless.

Going back a few years - Andy Goodwin seemed an interesting type (and possibly the worst 50 game player in Tiger history).

From his Wiki page...

"Following another brief stint at Devonport, Goodwin returned to Wandin, where he played until the age of 39, retiring after suffering a 22nd broken nose."

B: Bob Murphy, Matthew Scarlett, Adam Heuskes
HB: Glenn Manton, Alex Rance, Harry Taylor
C: Heritier Lumumba, Brett Kirk, Robbie Muir
HF: Gary Ablett Senior, Mark Jackson, Steve Johnson
F: Darren "Doc" Wheildon, Warwick Capper, Jason Akermanis
Rucks: Don Scott, Tom Liberatore, Gary Ablett Junior
Inter (from): Brian Lake, Max Rooke, Allen Jakovich, Peter "Crackers" Keenan.

All kind of "strange" in their own way. Geelong seems over-represented for some reason?

Going back a few years - Andy Goodwin seemed an interesting type (and possibly the worst 50 game player in Tiger history).

From his Wiki page...

"Following another brief stint at Devonport, Goodwin returned to Wandin, where he played until the age of 39, retiring after suffering a 22nd broken nose."

I've met Gooders a few times.
Very tall bugger that's for sure.

Went to school with his son too.

All kind of "strange" in their own way. Geelong seems over-represented for some reason?

Don Scott (C) and Aker (VC.)

Ty Zantuck and Laurence Angwin. Was it Brodie Moles who had a pretty epic social media presence after he'd left the AFL?

Lindsay Gilbee, for being renowned as one of the dimmest footballers going around, which is certainly saying something

As for Ablett Jr, I reckon he's done remarkably well to be a fairly normal guy, considering what his upbringing and carrying that name through junior football must have been like.

For people suggesting Bartel, because he seems awkward, I think he's pretty much the prototype ex-footballer who's gone into the media, because he couldn't figure out what else to do, even though he doesn't seem to be a comfortable fit at all. He's actually not a dumbarse (I believe he has a commerce degree), so maybe he should consider doing something else.

For some reason? You created the list...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For some reason? You created the list...
Yep, I did - players selected were those mentioned prominently by others already in the thread ... I did however add Crackers Keenan as my own contribution. He was a very, very strange character.

Yep, I did - players selected were those mentioned prominently by others already in the thread ... I did however add Crackers Keenan as my own contribution. He was a very, very strange character.

Well, in my humble opinion Taylor, Ablett Junior and even Steve Johnson (over the past 10 years) are debatable inclusions, at best.

Well, in my humble opinion Taylor, Ablett Junior and even Steve Johnson (over the past 10 years) are debatable inclusions, at best.
Maybe strange isn't always the best word. Quirky may be more accurate - particularly in the case of Taylor of Stevie J.
Ablett, however, fits the bill as strange.

Maybe strange isn't always the best word. Quirky may be more accurate - particularly in the case of Taylor of Stevie J.
Ablett, however, fits the bill as strange.

Since Johnson has laid off the grog a bit, he strikes me as your typical bloke from country Victoria. On-field, I guess I could live with, but off-field he seems like your average boring AFL player. I can't really think of anything particularly strange about Taylor, maybe at a stretch that he has a touch of the Will Minsons about him, that he's so used to being around thick people that he perhaps seems a bit smarter than he is (working on that theory since I heard him say "verse Sydney" when he appeared on On the Couch a few weeks ago.

Ablett is heavily into religion, but so is Daniel Wells, Andrew Swallow, Zac Smith and Jonathan Giles. Is that the only reason? If so, shouldn't Shaun Hart get a guernsey?

There was some rumour that Matt Primus was rooming with him on an interstate trip and walked in on Simon Atkins (deleted)

Bahahaha

Nothing hugely weird has ever stood out about Atkins. He was a pretty successful VFL coach for many years after retirement, also did special comments for radio. He has a young family and spends a lot of time with his kids. Has had a very, very standard life as a retired footballer.

Gonna call bullshit on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
4c8475b5e8885c9eeed114b69d131c53.jpg

Almost 10 pages and no mention of Andrew Jarman?

When I was a kid my dad used to comment on pigeon-toes as though it was somehow some kind of physical ailment. He was clearly wrong as the AFL is full of pigeon-toed stars. Both present and past.
I will start with naming the Bont and Tim Membrey as two current players.
Who else is there that fits in to this category?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back