Strategy for the next three condensed rounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Megalon

Skills pay the bills
Jun 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
With the next three rounds being condensed and the fact that Freo are playing 3 games in under two weeks, there is a risk of our already huge injury list getting even bigger with less recovery time between games.

My thoughts are that we should rest some players during these rounds (particularly if they have played most or all games this season, or have returned from injury) and give other players a crack. Some of these replacement players might not be ready for AFL level right now but the experience will be valuable, and we might unearth a diamond in the rough - while reducing injury risk to our current best 22 available. In a season like this where we've had so many injuries, and we won't make the finals (our season is cooked, let's face it) - I'd rather we blood young players and give them some experience in the next three rounds rather than risk long injuries to best available 22 players that are still healthy. You wouldn't do this all in one game but would try to spread the changes across the three rounds, but definitely have more changes for the Carlton game as we only have a five day break before that. No doubt we'll get beaten comprehensively - but is that any different to the last two games?

Some scenarios I'm throwing out there - these definitely aren't like for like replacements in most cases though:
Rest Brayshaw and Cerra and Fyfe in different games, and bring in Crowden or Valente or Blakely - maybe Blakely for Brayshaw, Crowden for Cerra. Maybe even North would be considered?
Rest Schultz and/or Banfield for a game or two (many calling for them to be dropped anyway) and debut Isaiah Butters and Henry (if they are confident in his fitness coming back from injury - 50-60% game time I'd be ok with for Henry)
Rest Tabs for a game and bring in Dixon
Rest Hughes and/or Duman for a game and give Carter or Pina a go, also possibly give Conca a game off after returning from injury by replacing with Pina
Possibly rest Lobb for a game and bring Meek in

Feel free to shoot this idea down if you have a different point of view, I won't take offence - just an idea I thought I'd throw out there. It's just an idea about managing players during this unprecedented number of games in a short time frame vs our ridiculous injury list.

Just rotate all players. See who is up for it and who needs to be delisted or traded.

Anyone who is injured needs to be put in cotton wool.

This season is a glorified scratch match and Freo need to recover from the S and C regime.

Going to be good watching some of the fringe guys doing a lap.
Backline is stuffed with Alex Pearce, Hamling and Logue out injured.

Lookin' the the midfield, I have no issues rotating the squad and playing the youth. I don't expect serong and Frederick to play all of the next 3 games.

I want valente and north to get a game. Hoping Dixon gets a game. Play him in the backline if we have too

Going to be good watching some of the fringe guys doing a lap.

Lookin' the the midfield, I have no issues rotating the squad and playing the youth. I don't expect serong and Frederick to play all of the next 3 games.

I want valente and north to get a game. Hoping Dixon gets a game. Play him in the backline if we have too

At least if they get a decent shot we can get an idea if they are worth hanging on to & you know at least 1 of them will shine. I have big hopes on valente & North stepping up.

Winnable games are against the Hawks and Carlton.

Strategy would be:
Collingwood
1. Don’t play underdone or injured players
2. Play the best available

Bye:

8 Day break
Hawthorn
1. Treat it like a mini final and go all out

5 Day break
Carlton
1. Give some of the rookies are break ie Frederick, and Serong and give games to other rookies like Valente and Henry if he is up for it.
2. Rotate a lot of players through the middle
3. Need to rest Darcy and give Meek a go.

We need to aim for second last this season. Lose but with style if that's possible. Do whatever we have to so that result happens. Play ALL the kids in a rotation basis and TANK into a good draft pick. While we're at it...point the bone at Melbourne so their pick two we get from them is early as well. GO FREO...and pick draftees wisely.

Why are so many assuming we'll have enough players available to do a rotation? My strategy would be just to make sure we have 22 fit (or semi-fit might be more realistic) players so we don't have to forfeit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to aim for second last this season. Lose but with style if that's possible. Do whatever we have to so that result happens. Play ALL the kids in a rotation basis and TANK into a good draft pick. While we're at it...point the bone at Melbourne so their pick two we get from them is early as well. GO FREO...and pick draftees wisely.
We don't need to tank, by round 12 we'll probably only have 23 fit players with Pina holding down a KPD spot.

you can say that again :cool:

There’s definitely merit in what your saying, but the problem is we have a new coach who will want relatively good results to justify his appointment. That would mean, I thought, playing your best possible team.

I’m not interested in wins & losses this season from now on, but are happy to watch the individual development of our players & to see who is worth persevering with.

So it wouldn’t worry me, but there are some supporters including a lot on here who battle to put the current situation in perspective on game day & are expecting a lot from a very depleted team.

I don't think we are being exposed to much of a condensed round, yet.

We've had 8 days, 6 days, 8 days, 5 days

But with no travel involved

no travel is huge as it effectively takes a day off your recovery.

How we are still getting injuries is anyone's guess when we aren't even travelling.

I don't think we are being exposed to much of a condensed round, yet.

We've had 8 days, 6 days, 8 days, 5 days

But with no travel involved
Yeah we often play 3 games in 2 weeks.
Home > 7 day break
Away > 6 day break
Home

3 games in 13 days but a flight to god know where in the middle of it all. Or two flights, one game at home, but same time frame.

We don't need to tank. Aim to win, we're still going to lose. For opposition tall forwards, our outs make near perfect conditions. Not hanging s**t on those thrown in to at least try to put up a defence, it just is what it is. Add to that, other injuries, new coach and a lot of yoof.

With the next three rounds being condensed and the fact that Freo are playing 3 games in under two weeks, there is a risk of our already huge injury list getting even bigger with less recovery time between games.

My thoughts are that we should rest some players during these rounds (particularly if they have played most or all games this season, or have returned from injury) and give other players a crack. Some of these replacement players might not be ready for AFL level right now but the experience will be valuable, and we might unearth a diamond in the rough - while reducing injury risk to our current best 22 available. In a season like this where we've had so many injuries, and we won't make the finals (our season is cooked, let's face it) - I'd rather we blood young players and give them some experience in the next three rounds rather than risk long injuries to best available 22 players that are still healthy. You wouldn't do this all in one game but would try to spread the changes across the three rounds, but definitely have more changes for the Carlton game as we only have a five day break before that. No doubt we'll get beaten comprehensively - but is that any different to the last two games?

Some scenarios I'm throwing out there - these definitely aren't like for like replacements in most cases though:
Rest Brayshaw and Cerra and Fyfe in different games, and bring in Crowden or Valente or Blakely - maybe Blakely for Brayshaw, Crowden for Cerra. Maybe even North would be considered?
Rest Schultz and/or Banfield for a game or two (many calling for them to be dropped anyway) and debut Isaiah Butters and Henry (if they are confident in his fitness coming back from injury - 50-60% game time I'd be ok with for Henry)
Rest Tabs for a game and bring in Dixon
Rest Hughes and/or Duman for a game and give Carter or Pina a go, also possibly give Conca a game off after returning from injury by replacing with Pina
Possibly rest Lobb for a game and bring Meek in

Feel free to shoot this idea down if you have a different point of view, I won't take offence - just an idea I thought I'd throw out there. It's just an idea about managing players during this unprecedented number of games in a short time frame vs our ridiculous injury list.
Brayshaw is apparently sore and battling an injury. Id give him this week off and bring in Aish. Play Cerra in Braushaw's predominately onball role then Aish replaces Cerra in his wing/utlity role. If Hill is fit then I wouldnt mind him going in for Wilson who looks a bit sore as well.
Id give Hogan a scratch match this weekend and then bring him to rest either Darcy or Lobb the week after too unless its dry conditions.
Pina and Henry should debut in the three weeks. They should drop or rest Fredderck or Colyer in one of the weeks for Henry. Pina for Duman or Conca at some pont wouldnt be a bad idea either.
Mundy might need a game to recover a bit. That would be the time to play Valente.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back