Stratton joins WWE: Pinches, Stomps, Gestures

Remove this Banner Ad

Now Clarkson carries on about the hysteria over a minor incident....

Apart from the occasional salty Eagles or Cat fan, no one is really calling for 6+ weeks etc. It's widely considered 1 week v 2 for stomping (fair, in line with past punishments) and 1 week v fines for pinching (higher than usual but a higher amount with more significant bruising than past incidences).

Shouldn't mistake people calling out s**t acts as 'hysteria'.

Hawks leadership has missed the spot/point in a number of ways in the past week.

Now Clarkson carries on about the hysteria over a minor incident....

Apart from the occasional salty Eagles or Cat fan, no one is really calling for 6+ weeks etc. It's widely considered 1 week v 2 for stomping (fair, in line with past punishments) and 1 week v fines for pinching (higher than usual but a higher amount with more significant bruising than past incidences).

Shouldn't mistake people calling out **** acts as 'hysteria'.

Hawks leadership has missed the spot/point in a number of ways in the past week.
I'd say he was referring to Robbo who said something stupid like he should get 5 weeks or such.

Not particularly impressed with Clarkson’s comments.

The pinching side of things is one thing - I think it’s a s**t tactic but I’m not going to sit here and pretend it’s really much more than just a dumb thing to do.

Trivialising stomping on someone’s foot on the other hand? Terrible. Stomping with football boots on especially is genuinely one of more low acts there is in the game.

"a bad look … so hopefully it will get dealt with properly"
Richard Goyder comments on Saturday before MRO review.

"I'm bewildered, in a sense, by just how significant the discussion becomes on it … In terms of the severity of things that have happened on the football field, jeez, I think this is minor,"
Clarkson comments about the upcoming case(s) on 360.

"We're bound by the Tribunal system and so everyone in the game, according to its integrity, should now be staying quiet until the Tribunal can run its course … We've got the AFL chief in Richard making comment on the Saturday about a tribunal (case),"
"We're not allowed to comment.
Clarkson on 360.

It reminds of that saying by George Carlin-
"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"
Clarkson, always in the right.

Predictably Clarko is too pathetic to condemn the behaviour. A fish rots from the head.

Yep, the hubris has set in at hawthorn now. Took a long time but like everyone who has sustained success it get's them all in the end.

Not a good weekend for the Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not particularly impressed with Clarkson’s comments.

The pinching side of things is one thing - I think it’s a **** tactic but I’m not going to sit here and pretend it’s really much more than just a dumb thing to do.

Trivialising stomping on someone’s foot on the other hand? Terrible. Stomping with football boots on especially is genuinely one of more low acts there is in the game.
The pinching happens all the time, I reckon his mistake there was going for it all game and on a Friday night after it had been talked about re Cameron. He's going to cop a whack for the sheer stupidity of what he did there.

Niggle happens all the time in the AFL, taggers and defenders use illegal tactics, forwards give little rib ticklers to their opponent to try and elicit a retaliation worthy of a free kick.

The idea that professional footy players are always within the rules and spirit of the game is a fantasy we tell ourselves as supporters.

I'm not a fan of the niggle, I think the AFL should pay the free kicks on the first instance not the retaliation and they should do it consistently, you could pick about 20 out before the first bounce every week

They will stop doing it if they get penalized consistently, or they will get dropped for being too damaging to their own team if they don't

The foot stomp when I saw the initial footage which didn't show he'd been accidentally stepped on first looked pretty bad, like wtf was he thinking.

I still wonder wtf he was thinking but I reckon he thought he'd been stomped as a way to get him off Fantasia and thought I'll do it back to you. Dick move and he's going to cop it for that too as he should.

He's looking at 3 weeks on the sidelines for this though when guys have put elbows into players heads and got less. In that I think the reaction and punishment that is being lined up doesn't match up with how the AFL have gone about other issues this year.

But then it never does, they have no consistency, they make the odd example then go back to doing nothing about future incidents, so again it's on Stratton and the club for being dumb enough.

Robbo was trying to get a quote from Clarko burying his Captain pre tribunal, you can bet he'd have written an article about it, you can bet his coach's comments would have been brought up when they were deciding how long to suspend him. I get why he said what he did, I don't agree with it, I wonder if he'd been on Wednesday after it had happened whether we'd get anything different from him, probably not though he doesn't tend to do that to his players in public.

Reeves the CEO put out a public statement saying Stratton did the wrong thing and it's not what the club is about, reckon that is all we will get on this, right or wrong.

Yeah good work, how is your Stinchy Captain and his Stinchy coach in their bunker going ?

Or is your real Captain with any real heart or honour playing in the VFL ?
Skeppersap is a Cats supporter, you're too busy trolling to notice though....

I reckon 3 weeks is probably about right.
Caddy only got a fine for stomping on a players hand last year
Crowley only got fined for pinching Boomer "about 300 times"

Doing both in the same game obviously leads to a greater penalty but 3 weeks for this when guys are getting less for hits to the head or knocking someone out in a sling tackle seems like a bit of a disconnect to me

Caddy only got a fine for stomping on a players hand last year
Crowley only got fined for pinching Boomer "about 300 times"

Doing both in the same game obviously leads to a greater penalty but 3 weeks for this when guys are getting less for hits to the head or knocking someone out in a sling tackle seems like a bit of a disconnect to me
I'm sure it does.

3 weeks feels about right to me for the 3 separate issues and the optics involved with each. Strong message needs to be sent.

I think Clarksons point abouit Richard Goider commenting before the tribunal is a good one. A bit of a double standard by the AFL. Stratton on the other hand should be embarrassed that he had to resort to such a feeble way of beating his opponent. Not a good look for anyone.

I'm sure it does.

3 weeks feels about right to me for the 3 separate issues and the optics involved with each. Strong message needs to be sent.
are you including the obscene gesture he's already been fined for in the three issues or something else

From what I read the AFL were looking at a fine to 1 week for the pinching and 1-2 for the stomp

So anything from a big hit to his pocket and a week off to 3 weeks off

I think 2-3 weeks is probably where we will end up based on the optics as much as anything given Goyder's comments over the weekend.

The thing that shits me is that he's going to get a week for something the umps watched him do all game and didn't pay a free for, and I'm sure that will be the case next week when someone does something questionable as a tagger

1-2 for the stomp is fine, I'd be more fine with it if I could believe that the next person to do it would get 1-2 and not a Caddy fine and the media brushing it off.

The AFL wonder why the players keep going back to the well with jumper punches, gut punches etc, well after the crack down earlier in the year its back to business as usual, I suspect this will be as well.

We get this at least once a year with these questionable methods being highlighted though this has been a louder campaign than I can remember but they don't follow through on it so we end up here again with another "strong message"

are you including the obscene gesture he's already been fined for in the three issues or something else

From what I read the AFL were looking at a fine to 1 week for the pinching and 1-2 for the stomp

So anything from a big hit to his pocket and a week off to 3 weeks off

I think 2-3 weeks is probably where we will end up based on the optics as much as anything given Goyder's comments over the weekend.

The thing that ****s me is that he's going to get a week for something the umps watched him do all game and didn't pay a free for, and I'm sure that will be the case next week when someone does something questionable as a tagger

1-2 for the stomp is fine, I'd be more fine with it if I could believe that the next person to do it would get 1-2 and not a Caddy fine and the media brushing it off.

The AFL wonder why the players keep going back to the well with jumper punches, gut punches etc, well after the crack down earlier in the year its back to business as usual, I suspect this will be as well.

We get this at least once a year with these questionable methods being highlighted though this has been a louder campaign than I can remember but they don't follow through on it so we end up here again with another "strong message"
Yep I was but 2 for the stomp 1 for the gutless pinching still sounds about right. Don't care if it 'happens all the time' even though I believe that's a big exaggeration. It has no part in the modern game however often it's supposedly happening.

I know it shits you. It should. We lost a whole game because the umpires refused to follow the rules. s**t happens. Tick tick tick.

Yep I was but 2 for the stomp 1 for the gutless pinching still sounds about right. Don't care if it 'happens all the time' even though I believe that's a big exaggeration. It has no part in the modern game however often it's supposedly happening.

I know it ****s you. It should. We lost a whole game because the umpires refused to follow the rules. **** happens. Tick tick tick.
I think niggling happens all the time, from all clubs, not all players and not all to the same level, I don't think pinching like that does and clearly it doesn't get highlighted if it does

Stomping is pretty rare, seems to happen a couple of times a year at most.

I'm not suggesting that what Stratts did is normal acceptable behaviour, just that there's a lot of dodgy s**t that goes on during the footy that doesn't get highlighted or gets talked up by the commentators as a bit of theatre.

If they want to send these sorts of messages they also need to get the umpires to pay the free kicks during the games and they need to whack the next guy just as hard, and the next.

That's how you get rid of it not just having the odd example and ignoring everything else.

Mind you this is all irrelevant to the situation, just what I'd like to see.

Stratts did the pinching and stomping he's got to pay the price for that and in the grand scheme of it as you say, you guys got robbed 4 points from an umpiring * up, we're just dealing with someone spending some time on the sidelines because they weren't pulled up on something they shouldn't have been doing anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back