Strengthening hamstring after knee reco

Remove this Banner Ad

Blakatak

Rookie
Jun 26, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Hey guys just wondering the best/most effective way of strengthening my hamstrings are as I really want to get some strength into it again.

I recently jumped on an Isokinetic Dynamometer at the physio which compared the strength of my good leg Vs my leg I just had a reco on (7mths ago now) and showed that my quad was pretty close in strength to my good leg but my hamstring is prob bout 66% off in strength compared to my strong leg. I know it shouldn't be close to 100% yet as I'm 7mths in my rehab but want to get it around 90% strength before I start my pre-season in late Nov.

I have noticed my hamstring is substantially weaker to before I had the knee reconstruction as they took a little bit out to repair my cruciate ligament and since have done my hamstring a couple times..

So my question is what is the quickest/most effective way of strengthening it as I believe you guys have strong knowledge after reading a few threads here. Cheers ;)

I had a reco years ago and I dont remember all of the rehab work, but I recall the following was excellent for hammy strengthening: laying on your back, dig your heel into the groung and raise your hips off the ground, hold. Should do the trick...

I had a reco years ago and I dont remember all of the rehab work, but I recall the following was excellent for hammy strengthening: laying on your back, dig your heel into the groung and raise your hips off the ground, hold. Should do the trick...

sounds like the pelvis bridge, i was going to suggest that as it helps the hamstrings, ITB, hips, adductors and glutes

Very similar to what I have been doing which is laying on my back, resting my heels on an aerobics ball, then lifting my pelvis and bringing the aerobics ball towards me making my knees at a 90 degree angle then push it back out and resting my pelvis. Very effective
The reason I stopped doing that was that the aerobics ball is now flat and unsure how to pump it back up ;).

Your method is what I'm after. Cheers

When I had a knee reco I went through heaps of work in the gym. I had a patela reconstruction so didn't have the hamstring problems you are having. The importance of strengthening the quadricep muscle on the leg of my reconstruction was stressed time and time again, but when I returned to football it didn't make little difference. I still had heaps of pain, and it was the muscles around my knee that I needed to strengthen. I'd been trying to do some work on this area in the gym, but there's really nothing better for it than just playing. By the later part of my return season, I could notice all the smaller muscles getting stronger, and the pain all but vanished.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back