Strategy Strengthening the Coaching Box

Remove this Banner Ad

The team so far looks a little light on with experience. Van Berlo has been active with the development side but it reads more likely he will take an assistant coaching role.

Mitchell, Hickmott, Graham and Pratt with van Berlo is not setting the world alight!

Graham and Hickmott both heading into their 7th seasons of coaching, Pratt into his 5th.

I don't have any strong opinion either way about Van Berlo. Probably a good thing, with what Adelaide have been able to do since Phil Walsh.

I would still like to see a strong "Director of Coaching" or something, but really not sure there are many good options out there

I don't have any strong opinion either way about Van Berlo. Probably a good thing, with what Adelaide have been able to do since Phil Walsh.

I would still like to see a strong "Director of Coaching" or something, but really not sure there are many good options out there

Yeah wouldn't mind someone like how Hawthorn had Brett Ratten - someone demoted into a less senior role if that makes sense.

Nothing wrong with promotions but we have Mitchell, Van Berlo and potentially Hickmott as senior assistant all promoted into roles they haven't done before. Can mean they're hungrier maybe but would like someone who knows the system overseeing it all. Agreed that there's not a lot out there though. Anyone with more knowledge know of assistant coaches potentially coming out of contract?

Yeah wouldn't mind someone like how Hawthorn had Brett Ratten - someone demoted into a less senior role if that makes sense.

Nothing wrong with promotions but we have Mitchell, Van Berlo and potentially Hickmott as senior assistant all promoted into roles they haven't done before. Can mean they're hungrier maybe but would like someone who knows the system overseeing it all. Agreed that there's not a lot out there though. Anyone with more knowledge know of assistant coaches potentially coming out of contract?

I agree. I think the way people get cast aside in the coaching caper if they get tried as a senior coach and had more downs than ups and lost their gig is ridiculous. I think those guys, provided they don't have personality issues and that is what they failed, are a very undervalued resource. Guys like Ratten and Voss.

I think they probably make the best assistants and the they get unfairly cast aside when other senior roles open up. The head hunters always prefer the next shiny, new cab off the assistant coaching ranks.

I think of it this way, if you had to have brain surgery would you rather the guy who has performed the operation several times already and had some successes and some failures or the guy the rookie surgeon who is performing the operation for the first time?

I agree. I think the way people get cast aside in the coaching caper if they get tried as a senior coach and had more downs than ups and lost their gig is ridiculous. I think those guys, provided they don't have personality issues and that is what they failed, are a very undervalued resource. Guys like Ratten and Voss.

I think they probably make the best assistants and the they get unfairly cast aside when other senior roles open up. The head hunters always prefer the next shiny, new cab off the assistant coaching ranks.

I think of it this way, if you had to have brain surgery would you rather the guy who has performed the operation several times already and had some successes and some failures or the guy the rookie surgeon who is performing the operation for the first time?
I really like the brain surgery analogy, although coaches probably aren't as clever as that
But whilst experience is a factor, it's also the case in both medicine and coaching that things move very fast. It's very hard to develop expertise in one area or way of doing things and still be able to a) innovate and b) adapt to better ways of doing things.

Innovation and novel ways of doing things are more easily found when you aren't set in your ways, but to be a senior coach requires you to be quite inflexible and consistent in your approach. What makes a head coach isn't necessarily what makes a good assistant.

A big query with the appointment of Eade was whether his style of coaching would be able to adapt to the modem game. Your experience only counts if it's directly applicable to the best ways of doing things now. More experienced coaches have this challenge when entering a new system.

Where I agree with your analogy is that the deficiencies of our list are pretty classic: nurturing the desire to win a contest, to go hard when it's needed. It'd be difficult to say that this fundamental part of AFL has changed much in the past decade or two. The current coaches haven't been able to get this right in our playing group, with the exception of 2015 (where the deficiency was still very apparent when it matters most). More experienced coaching here is less dependent on the two above limitations, innovation & adaptability.

It was clear to most posters here back then after the 2015 gf that our coaching needed a boost in this area. While we can't see what has been trialled behind the scenes, it seems obvious that appointing a coach with experience in this would be desirable.

Will reserve judgment on NVB cos he seems highly rated in development, crow mids improvement this year does speak volumes too. But doesn't alleviate my queries about the hardness of our kids, and the selection of coaching panel.

by getting Van Berlo, WCE seem seriously focused on recharging their midfield, the draft can't come soon enough..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It has been confirmed the coaching staff is all complete.

Van Verlo is the stoppage and mid coach and to work alongside Mitchell and Luke Dwyer.

That suggests Hickmott's been promoted then, he and Cox were in charge of the midfield this year.

Nekminnit - we draft everything but midfielders.
I meant not just the drafting, but they're focussing on midfield like never before, or certainly not for a long time previously..looks like they plan to 'attack' next season full on (the window?).. maybe we wont slump next season (personally doubt we'll slump)..just depends on the mature mids we get at draft..

I'd like mark Williams as an assistant at the club. Seems to have done some good development work while he was at Richmond.

Apologies if I missed this already but Coaching panel hasn't yet been officially finalised has it?

I get the impression from a quick scan of posts that the consensus is no more staff to be added and just waiting on peoples official titles? Wheres that info coming from? I was hoping there still a possibility they will name someone else to be added in a senior role...

Apologies if I missed this already but Coaching panel hasn't yet been officially finalised has it?

I get the impression from a quick scan of posts that the consensus is no more staff to be added and just waiting on peoples official titles? Wheres that info coming from? I was hoping there still a possibility they will name someone else to be added in a senior role...
When the club announced Van Berlo's appointment the announcement clearly said that following the appointment it finalised the club's coaching panel for 2018. That sentence appears to have now disappeared from the club's statement, so who knows?

When the club announced Van Berlo's appointment the announcement clearly said that following the appointment it finalised the club's coaching panel for 2018. That sentence appears to have now disappeared from the club's statement, so who knows?

Ahhh I see! Never noticed that detail obviously....the update in statement is most definitely even more interesting!!!

That's what I've been wondering also, or are Nic Nat & Lycett going to coach themselves:rolleyes:.

Ruck coaches are useless these days. A ruckman will know how to ruck well enough by the time they are drafted. A stoppage coach is the one that teaches the ruckman how to communicate with the mids when they are in the ruck. Mitchell was a gun when it came to setting up the stoppages as a player so it will interesting to see what he has in mind!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back