Stretching

Remove this Banner Ad

J_Moore

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Do you do it? Does it work? What are some decent stretches?

I wouldn't mind increasing my lower body flexibility a fair bit, particularly to provide a bit more follow through when kicking. As I get older, I'm only getting tighter. I've tried a lot of the standard stretches you learn, but they don't seem to do a great deal, particularly for my calves/hamstring at the knee.

A good one for streching out your hamstring is when you sit down and reach for your toes get someone to put a little bit of pressure by pressing down on your leg just above your knee. Hurts like anything but stretches it quite well:thumbsu>

PNF stretches would be the go... but you need 2 people for them. i havent looked up anything to link but im sure they are all over google. pretty simple idea but work real good

there's a school of thought disapproves static stretching PRIOR to athletic activity. it's better left for after game/activity.

here's a story advocating dynamic stretching as a better means to preparing muscles for activity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/playmagazine/112pewarm.html?em

it focuses on tennis, but can apply to any sport.

that is true but it fails to provide the musculotendonous unit with a prolonged effect. it is better in the short term but for greater long term flexability gains pnf stretches have been show 2 be more effective than dynamic and static

Pre game you aren't trying to increase flexibility, you're trying to increase range of movement, which is why the players do lots of leg swinging actions etc.
THe school of thought about static stretching prior to competition is that it decreases localized muscle temperature and causes microtears to the muscle fibres increasing the chances if injury.

INcreasing felxibiliy is where you incorporate the static and PNF stretching to give you the best results

there's a school of thought disapproves static stretching PRIOR to athletic activity. it's better left for after game/activity.

here's a story advocating dynamic stretching as a better means to preparing muscles for activity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/playmagazine/112pewarm.html?em

it focuses on tennis, but can apply to any sport.

100% agree with this. i always do dynamic warmups prior to activity and stretch post activity.
i had an australian olympic athletics coach explain it to me like this once, imagine putting an elastic band in a freezer or the fridge then getting it out and stretching it. it's highly likely to break because it hasn't been moved and is contracted, this is exactly like your muscles.
i haven't stretched prior since then (4 years ago) and have only had 1 muscle strain in that time (which was my own fault).

Do you do it? Does it work? What are some decent stretches?

I wouldn't mind increasing my lower body flexibility a fair bit, particularly to provide a bit more follow through when kicking. As I get older, I'm only getting tighter. I've tried a lot of the standard stretches you learn, but they don't seem to do a great deal, particularly for my calves/hamstring at the knee.

100% agree with this. i always do dynamic warmups prior to activity and stretch post activity.
i had an australian olympic athletics coach explain it to me like this once, imagine putting an elastic band in a freezer or the fridge then getting it out and stretching it. it's highly likely to break because it hasn't been moved and is contracted, this is exactly like your muscles.
i haven't stretched prior since then (4 years ago) and have only had 1 muscle strain in that time (which was my own fault).

the question wasnt what to do before activity but how can they increase flexability. K.W. was correct with the PNF stretch call for increased flexability. they should be done everyday, twice a day if your keen.

dynamic stuff only prepares you for competition but does not leave any lasting effects on muscle elasticity.

It definitely works, I did 14s training and my legs felt really tight and i couldn't sprint as much, I then did league training and did the proper stretching for like 10 minutes and it made heaps of difference, my legs werent tight and i could keep on running.

the question wasnt what to do before activity but how can they increase flexability. K.W. was correct with the PNF stretch call for increased flexability. they should be done everyday, twice a day if your keen.

dynamic stuff only prepares you for competition but does not leave any lasting effects on muscle elasticity.

please re-read my post and you'll find my reference to stretching post activity which is proven to increase flexibility. stretching muscles when they are warm is far more benificial to flexibility than stretching cold muscles.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stretching/sm00043

"Before stretching, warm up with five to 10 minutes of light activity. Better yet, stretch after you exercise — when your muscles are warm and more receptive to stretching."

a warm up or activity prior to stretching is recommended, whether light or dynamic.
but thanks anyway for your attempted insight:rolleyes:

thanks for your attempted wit with ur clever use of sarcasm.... the emotocon isn't gay either

(like what i did there.... i used sarcasm too..... this game is fun!)

hey unlisted, my post had nothing to do with your post if you bothered to look at it correctly, so unless you're in love with rizzbang i suggest you go away and grow some testicles.
when you have the courage to list your team then your opinion will be validated but until then go away.

Hey now, you big fellas don't need to start a fight over little old me...

But seriously, folks, thanks for the advice. Started on some of these PNF stretches, and they seem like good gear. Can definitely notice the difference.

And yeah, I've been reading recently about the growing weight of opinion against pre-activity stretching. Funny how conventional wisdom can turn out to be totally wrong, hey?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like you guys may be fairly interested in a review article I had to write for a 3rd year Human Movement course at university. Gets fairly technical but has some great references that you could go look up on this topic. PM me with an email and I can send it as an attachment

Yeah, exactly what I was told:thumbsu:.

Yeah, exactly what I was told:thumbsu:.

I try to rub as much deep heat as I can into my legs and then go and job a couple of easy laps. Then i do some exercises eg back rolls/twists just to loosen up the joints then get up run 400m and then stretch from top of my legs to bottom. I usually find this works. In cold times wearing as much heat gear as possible definately makes a difference.

A serious sportsperson should set aside stretching workouts at least 3 times per week. The weekender who decides to do some stretching just before the event is wasting his/her time and possibly causing more harm.

A good warm up is vital to any active sporting activity however the stretching is only beneficial when done as an actual part of a training program which should be done regularly on it's own.
Trying to increase range of movement in a hamstring before going out on the ground is pointless. Warming it up and doing high kick throughs (without ball) on the other hand is a must to avoiding injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back