Stringer; is he performing to the expectations of the media and public ?

Remove this Banner Ad

For whatever anyone thinks of his output tonight everyone can agree he is super talented. So in a moderate performance for him I was looking for the things that might suggest he is heading in the right direction.

The first thing I noted was in the first qtr he missed a goal from the boundary and Adelaide quickly transitioned forward from the kick in. Stringer had sprinted down to the Adelaide goalsquare and had manned up on a loose Eddie Betts. I knew he’d peter out after that effort alone due to his iffy engine.

Then there is the 7 tackles he laid.

And he was very spirited with the lads whenever we surged.

I think there is a lot of promise in what we saw tonight.

He's obviously got the skills and the burst, but looks to lack an engine to do it all the time.

Poor bloke could cure cancer and you *******s would still find a way to hang it on him.

Give him a break.

On the improve. Was a good deal better in this game than the first JLT game which made it look like Bombers had made a massive mistake. Looks like a confidence player and needs some more conditioning, after he gets both of those he's likely to be a very handy player. Probably will not change him being a campaigner though.

At times he looked like a retired AFL forward playing in the ammos.

Body not 100% capable of doing what it used to, but still able to throw all the fit, young amature players out the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VFL footy is the destination for the package. Of all the things that led to the Bombers having a win, he did none of them. Fair play to Tippa, Hurley, Heppell and Hooker, but the package should be returned to sender. The only redeeming feature is that it is R1.

W

I thought he was pretty decent in a very ordinary game. I don't think 1 or 2 mistakes he made that were obvious to the eye equates to the rest of his game / him being a "dud". I'll be the first one to admit that I thought Stringer's addition to Dons may be questionable but I was surprised at his game. Round 1 and only improvement from here. He could be in for a big year.
Why “only improvement from here”?
He’s just had the biggest kick up the arse in his career and still couldn’t get match fit. There were also rumours of him drinking before the JLT games. Doesn’t sound like he has suddenly become more professional

Last edited:
BigFooty, and particularly Bulldog supporters, genuine concern for Stringer Bell is touching

Take the blinkers off lance, largely Dogs fans are reasonable about stringer.

We had to deal with the same shots at him through 2016-17

If he snagged two goals last night it would be a different story this morning. Aside from not hitting the scoreboard which he was most likely recruited to do, he had a pretty solid game. For someone who is flashy and a bit of an outside player (for his size anyway), he had a few solid contested situations where he was clean, and as mentioned, 7 tackles shows a high work rate. Also noticed a couple of times that he was back and then in the next play was already down forward. Would have racked up his required KM's and then some i'd say.

Used to love the guy when he played for the Dogs. Completely off him after last season. But if we are looking at last night with completely objectively, he had a decent debut for his new club. Nothing more, nothing less.

Stringer is an opportunistic medium sized forward that will look like a goose now and then, ineffective now and then and he'll bob up and do the odd freakish thing.

The whole midfielder spiel was very humorous.

He's probably good for winning a match a year. That's it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back