Prediction Stringer or Ablett

Stringer or Ablett

• Stringer

Votes: 72 73.5%
  • Ablett

Votes: 26 26.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be annoyed if we gave a first rounder for a player with quite some unresolved issues. Some of which have not been publicised. One being his removal had much to do with player disenchantment as I understand it.

The last thing a club which prides itself on culture and unity needs is someone who has the potential to decimate it.

Anyhow, I'm confident the club won't put in our oar unless he meets the standards we require.

The point wasnt that though it was just that we do have the trade currency (in response to you saying we don't which is incorrect).

I agree with the rest of what you are saying though.

Sure. But sounds like plenty of water has gone under the bridge since then.

Only my opinion, of course. But I think there is more to this than Stringer simply wanting out. Seems to me that the Dogs are actually pretty comfortable with moving him out of the place. That doesn't happen for a player with his skill set unless there are some serious issues in play.

Yes, we should be wary. (We do know, though, that Beveridge can be impetuous - that seemed to happen with Talia, who was gone before he could blink. Later, it seemed like the Dogs might have acted in haste.)

The story that our leaders think they can sort him out is worrying (and I'm leaving out Ablett here - an idea that gets what it deserves above). People don't usually deal with serious issues in such a simple way, no matter how respected the captain is. Are we really going to believe that Selwood is listened to more by his team mates than Bob Murphy is? Will knowing Stringer's family make the difference? Do we think no-one at the Dogs knows them by now?

If it works it would be amazing, sure, but things that look to good to be true - and I reckon we could end up with a Stringer-Thurlow swap, with a same-round pick swap their way thrown in - usually are. But rather than Stringer v Ablett, the far more likely choice we will have to make (in terms of trade currency) is Stringer v. Smith.

And I worry about the effect on our fringe players, esp. young ones who have worked hard, and are on the cusp of a regular spot, being traded out for something shiny/glittery in another jumper.

The point wasnt that though it was just that we do have the trade currency (in response to you saying we don't which is incorrect).

I agree with the rest of what you are saying though.
Fair enough, but we don't have any first rounders as I understand it whereas other clubs who have allegedly shown interest in Essendon, St Kilda (2) and Richmond (2) do. Ipso facto they have more currency.

Neither. If we HAD to take one, Stringer. But both seem to be in the petulant me-before-the-team mindset if what has been suggested lately is true, and I don't think bringing either of them in with that philosophy would be good for team cohesion. Devon Smith hasn't done much to impress me either. Of those discussed so far only Rockliff raises some interest (as he's free).
We have a real lack of young talent, especially young talent that isn't awfully injury-prone. I would much prefer to see us go through the draft, or bring in young retreads, rather than ageing talent (as would be the case with Ablett).

Problem at the bullies is he was the forward leader too early. Win a premiership and go to putty after celebrating too heavily. Hawks did the same in 2009.
If anyone can straighten him out it is far more leaders up forward to put him in his place and give him perspective. Hanging him out to dry to early. Needs to be shown a thing or two about bigheadedness. I think Hawkins, Taylor, Menzel, Ablett, Selwood, Danger, and Scarlett and Scott would sort him out pretty quickly regarding dedication and Making the most of a very small window before it is too late.
Don't hang the boy for being a dickhead at 23, I'm sure a lot of you were too.
He's a very fine talent who needs the right people to show him how important that can be if you put the group before your own parade.
For pete's sake
Ablett Hawk McCarthy
Smith Stringer Menzel
With Parfitt Parsons Gregson maybe Lang (if not traded) to go through there looks pretty fine to me.
A little more mobile than what we currently have IMHO

Linc... Its about degrees and a willingness to change. I have no issue with anyone making mistakes ,especially the young , if they are a learning experience. High level sport is not something for people with major flaws in their capabilities to handle and conform to expectations. To certain degree individuals should probably stick to individual sports .. tennis players are an obvious example but when you decide to play team sports you are basically deciding to have a communal experience.

So if the mistakes are something that is learned from... fine... but if these mistakes are only seen not as mistakes but trifles and as unfair criticism from others who really don't understand what "Im" going thru ... then a truly unfortunate waste is the most likely outcome.

How is it for JS? I have no idea ... but all I'll say is there have been plenty of high level talented players who failed to achieve their potential. Some guys are just the way they are ... and if we do get a Dog , one can not complain that it may bark and need to be taken for a walk.

Trengove > bulldogs
Stringer > cats
Motlop > power
With some minor draft picks being exchanged.
Trade/delist : Murdoch, GHS, ruggles, thurlow, Cowan, gregson, Stanley.
Don't b scared to put Hawkins on the trade table. U have buzza coming through who needs games & is aggressive & competitive unlike Hawkins. Even blitz on the trade table for a smith, not as useful now there is no 3rd man up.

Trengove > bulldogs
Stringer > cats
Motlop > power
Don't b scared to put Hawkins on the trade table. U have buzza coming through who needs games & is aggressive & competitive unlike Hawkins. Even blitz on the trade table for a smith, not as useful now there is no 3rd man up.
Trade Hawkins?

Its not just your golf that's mad! ;)

Yes, we should be wary. (We do know, though, that Beveridge can be impetuous - that seemed to happen with Talia, who was gone before he could blink. Later, it seemed like the Dogs might have acted in haste.)
Talia has barely played a game in Sydney and was revealed to have drug issues. Looks like Bevo's call was the right one.

Trade Hawkins?

Its not just your golf that's mad! ;)
Yeah maybe!!!
Doesn't compete, chase, tackle, pressure. Only stands there & wrestles with his opponent who then has a 3rd man come in & spoil it or takes the mark.
Throw JK into the trade mix as well, slow, burns the ball, fumbles can't tackle or play well in finals.

Trengove > bulldogs
Stringer > cats
Motlop > power
If we delist Ruggles then we should have kept SJ. Rug was who we got with that pick.

Yeah maybe!!!
Doesn't compete, chase, tackle, pressure. Only stands there & wrestles with his opponent who then has a 3rd man come in & spoil it or takes the mark.
Throw JK into the trade mix as well, slow, burns the ball, fumbles can't tackle or play well in finals.
Not his fault there's no one playing on the third man. That's the forward structure.

Not his fault there's no one playing on the third man. That's the forward structure.
Don't disagree with that either. But more to the point of if he was aggressive in jumping for the ball @ 6ft 4/5 100kg + not going to get outmarked to often with 3rd man up or not. Maybe defenders start to panic then hold/push ect.
Oh well so they got the ruggles pick up wrong that's fine, just move him on. SJ was done, would not have made a difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Linc... Its about degrees and a willingness to change. I have no issue with anyone making mistakes ,especially the young , if they are a learning experience. High level sport is not something for people with major flaws in their capabilities to handle and conform to expectations. To certain degree individuals should probably stick to individual sports .. tennis players are an obvious example but when you decide to play team sports you are basically deciding to have a communal experience.

So if the mistakes are something that is learned from... fine... but if these mistakes are only seen not as mistakes but trifles and as unfair criticism from others who really don't understand what "Im" going thru ... then a truly unfortunate waste is the most likely outcome.

How is it for JS? I have no idea ... but all I'll say is there have been plenty of high level talented players who failed to achieve their potential. Some guys are just the way they are ... and if we do get a Dog , one can not complain that it may bark and need to be taken for a walk.
Beautiful analogy. Have no disagreement there. Surely wells and hocking have sought info from the doggies re his issues given bevos honesty about his having family and behavioural concerns before pencilling him in. Bit worried about our approach though following the menzel dropping.
Club not sticking to proven plans.
Cant win without scoreboard pressure

Don't disagree with that either. But more to the point of if he was aggressive in jumping for the ball @ 6ft 4/5 100kg + not going to get outmarked to often with 3rd man up or not. Maybe defenders start to panic then hold/push ect.
Oh well so they got the ruggles pick up wrong that's fine, just move him on. SJ was done, would not have made a difference.
SJ may have been the difference in last years final against Sydney. So many inside 50's!

Problem at the bullies is he was the forward leader too early. Win a premiership and go to putty after celebrating too heavily. Hawks did the same in 2009.
If anyone can straighten him out it is far more leaders up forward to put him in his place and give him perspective. Hanging him out to dry to early. Needs to be shown a thing or two about bigheadedness. I think Hawkins, Taylor, Menzel, Ablett, Selwood, Danger, and Scarlett and Scott would sort him out pretty quickly regarding dedication and Making the most of a very small window before it is too late.
Don't hang the boy for being a dickhead at 23, I'm sure a lot of you were too.
He's a very fine talent who needs the right people to show him how important that can be if you put the group before your own parade.
For pete's sake
Ablett Hawk McCarthy
Smith Stringer Menzel
With Parfitt Parsons Gregson maybe Lang (if not traded) to go through there looks pretty fine to me.
A little more mobile than what we currently have IMHO
Not just at 23. I've maintained my dickheadedness over the years by taking three dickhead pills with breakfast every morning:D

Linc... Its about degrees and a willingness to change. I have no issue with anyone making mistakes ,especially the young , if they are a learning experience. High level sport is not something for people with major flaws in their capabilities to handle and conform to expectations. To certain degree individuals should probably stick to individual sports .. tennis players are an obvious example but when you decide to play team sports you are basically deciding to have a communal experience. ...

And when they keep you awake at night :cryingcat:, you have a serious problem ...

Just wondering as I saw this was in the Geelong Advertiser. If we could only get 1 of these player who would you choose.
Thanks, foxdoog50, I wish the Addy given the option of "Neither of the Above". I register my vote herewith!

Last edited:
I think Scott was in to much of a rush to make this "his list" and probably cost us a flag on the way.
Maybe with the way he coaches & game day selections could b right. As with tonight when it's wet u bring in Stanley????? Why, can't play down back & won't take a mark inside 50. Bring in another small.

Get back to me when Buzza is capable of kicking even forty goals/year.
Sure will if c.scott plays him in 20 games or so. He will also have 40 or more tackles than Hawkins & maybe also stick his knees in the back of the head of some defenders

Back