Roast Strip the captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

Other than " it gives us the best chance of winning" has there ever been any explanation from anyone at the club as to why we needed co-captains?
It's the equivalent of me telling my 2yo "because I said so" when she as why she needs to eat her dinner

I suspect the real answer is we didn't think either of them were good enough to do it in their own but if that was the case there wasn't a reason to take it off Boak

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Can’t argue with that. Again, do they have the balls to admit this fu** up and appoint a sole captain next year in Hartlett or Lycett ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gold Coast and Adelaide I reckon. Still a terrible, tradition destroying move.

And they also s**t on the clubs reputation/history in the Maggies the way they handled the Sutcliffe thing: sure given the last few years we don't have as many high quality options for captain but to give the role to someone who hadn't even played a game for us yet was weak. I don't think there could have been a stronger indication from the club that the people in charge are no longer respecting our club's roots.

And they also s**t on the clubs reputation/history in the Maggies the way they handled the Sutcliffe thing: sure given the last few years we don't have as many high quality options for captain but to give the role to someone who hadn't even played a game for us yet was weak. I don't think there could have been a stronger indication from the club that the people in charge are no longer respecting our club's roots.
Sadly they are just rooting the Club's respect...

I’m not in the take the captaincy back camp.

Ollie has been touted as a captain in waiting for ages. Jonas was the players choice. Whilst it’s hard to argue that there has been a worse first season as captain for either player, I think they can learn from this. The club too.

What will be telling is how these lads cope with this crap year. Does it make them better? Do they learn? Do they hunger to make amends? Or does this bury them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If, and I know it's a big IF, there is a senior coach change next season I believe the two captains fiasco would be confined to the rubbish bin of history.

It also wouldn't surprise me greatly if there is a change in the senior role that one of the current `captains' may not be seen as regular best 22 any more, and he could play a number of games at the Maggies.

I’m not in the take the captaincy back camp.

Ollie has been touted as a captain in waiting for ages. Jonas was the players choice. Whilst it’s hard to argue that there has been a worse first season as captain for either player, I think they can learn from this. The club too.

What will be telling is how these lads cope with this crap year. Does it make them better? Do they learn? Do they hunger to make amends? Or does this bury them?
We know the answer to that. They giggle in post match interviews and go skiing.

Ken Hinkley really has set these two up to fail.
To be fair, either or both could have striven to hit some form instead of just shrugging off any responsibility.

Dom may not have been the best player or leader we ever had but he always took his responsibilities seriously. I don't remember ever questioning whether he should be captain.

To be fair, either or both could have striven to hit some form instead of just shrugging off any responsibility.

Dom may not have been the best player or leader we ever had but he always took his responsibilities seriously. I don't remember ever questioning whether he should be captain.

It's a domino effect.

Club floats the idea of co-captains. Supporter base emphatically and passionately rejects it. Club does it anyway. Tells the supporters that co-captains will help us succeed.

Ollie Wines and Tom Jonas are named as co-captains. They didn't make the co-captains decision, but they become the face of it.

As is human nature, the supporters mark Ollie and Tom more harshly as a result. Ollie cops even more heat for the waterskiing incident. Jonas cops even more heat because a certain subset of our supporter base can't get the fact that he played for Norwood as a junior out of their heads.

Fans have now turned on Ollie and Jonas. The team is struggling. Attendances are down and the mood at our games is flat. As is also human nature, Ollie and Tom start to resent it. "Why should I work hard for this fan base which is shitcanning me at every opportunity", etc etc.

If Ollie or Jonas had been named captain of, say, Geelong, I'm confident that they'd both be playing and leading a hell of a lot better than what they are in their current situation. Hell, even if either one of them had been named as our sole captain, they'd probably be playing and leading a lot better than they are now. They're certainly not blameless in the whole situation, but you can't deny that the club set them up with a huge mountain to climb by making the co-captaincy decision in the first place. Captaincy and leadership is a lot easier if you're starting from a position of trust with the supporter base as opposed to starting from a position of having to 'win them back' from a decision that someone else made. Ken Hinkley set the supporters and the co-captains against each other, and now both sides are suffering for it.

Last edited:

Well there was that one time... let's call it, The Nespresso Blunder.

I don't have issue with Jonas' Norwood past nor his Rostrevor mouthguard. I have issue with his football ability, and his public position on our traditions being detrimental to success. He chose to be offside with the members at the beginning and he did not choose his words carefully. It is very hard from his position to win my favour.

Wines is an example of why the club and members should refrain from trumpeting "future captain" with any young recruit. Just because we'd been hearing it since day one a professional outfit would not have made him captain because he has huge flaws in his game and his ability didn't warrant captaincy.

The biggest issue is at the time of the captaincy changeover we didn't have options because of circumstances.

I don't feel confident that Jonas and Wines will be substantially better in 2020.

I don't have issue with Jonas' Norwood past nor his Rostrevor mouthguard. I have issue with his football ability, and his public position on our traditions being detrimental to success. He chose to be offside with the members at the beginning and he did not choose his words carefully. It is very hard from his position to win my favour.

Wines is an example of why the club and members should refrain from trumpeting "future captain" with any young recruit. Just because we'd been hearing it since day one a professional outfit would not have made him captain because he has huge flaws in his game and his ability didn't warrant captaincy.

The biggest issue is at the time of the captaincy changeover we didn't have options because of circumstances.

I don't feel confident that Jonas and Wines will be substantially better in 2020.

This x plenty!

I don't have an issue with Jonas coming from the deadlegs either ( as an example Roger James is one of my all time favourite Power players), but I would be happy for him to go back there. ;)

He dissed our traditions and our members with his reactions to the co captains fiasco, both verbally and with his snow skiing pic, but all the above aside he is in my opinion a very limited player skill wise and often has to play on the edge of legality to be effective, and the 6-6-6 rule has exposed him.

Look at our opponents today. Don't underestimate the effect that trading for a ruthless bastard career winner like Hodge to set the tone has had on their psyche.

I was just thinking about this. If there’s one bloke on their list who can help them win this years premiership, it’s him.

He’s been there and done it all before so we know how high he’ll be setting the bar for Brisbane this September. Plus, he’s not playing on after this year so he won’t be settling for anything less.

If his attitude and determination for success flows through the rest of the playing group then that’ll go a long way to Brisbane winning it all this year.

Good post

Remove this Banner Ad

Back