Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion

Said it before and I'll say it again.

What also pisses me off about this is the 'sitting on the couch' dig. You wonder why someone with more couch orientated hobbies, like oh I don't know, video games, felt ostracised from the group think, when the captain is clearly implying publicly that that isn't a worthwhile use of one's free time. He has expressed himself in a way that is shockingly ignorant of the fact that people may enjoy different things and if you don't get out and 'live life' there's something wrong with you. On top of this, going to the snow and skiing isn't exactly an activity breaking the mold of things to do on holiday so therte's no need to be on such a high horse.

I wonder if Jonas would feel the same if a player made a status like that on a monday night when most of the group would get together on a couch to watch game of thrones?

Last edited:

Jul 17, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

What also pisses me off about this is the 'sitting on the couch' dig. You wonder why someone with more couch orientated hobbies, like oh I don't know, video games, felt ostracised from the group think, when the captain is clearly implying publicly that that isn't a worthwhile use of one's free time. He has expressed himself in a way that a shockingly ignorant of the fact that people may enjoy different things and if you don't get out and 'live life' there's something wrong with you. On top of this, going to the snow and skiing isn't exactly an activity breaking the mold of things to do on holiday so therte's no need to be on such a high horse.

I wonder if Jonas would feel the same if a player made a status like that on a monday night when most of the group would get together on a couch to watch game of thrones?
And yet one of Brisbane's most popular players literally streams gaming on twitch.

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
Can we just have no captain??
Look how much better Boak has played with the freedom of not having the burden of captain on his mind.

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

What also pisses me off about this is the 'sitting on the couch' dig. You wonder why someone with more couch orientated hobbies, like oh I don't know, video games, felt ostracised from the group think, when the captain is clearly implying publicly that that isn't a worthwhile use of one's free time. He has expressed himself in a way that a shockingly ignorant of the fact that people may enjoy different things and if you don't get out and 'live life' there's something wrong with you. On top of this, going to the snow and skiing isn't exactly an activity breaking the mold of things to do on holiday so therte's no need to be on such a high horse.

It's a big boys club there. Have to be part of the in crowd to fit in is what I've taken out of the Wingard and Polec exits.

I find that laughable from Jonas and our club as anyone who's played any level of footy knows not everyone gets along or is mates, you don't have to be, but once you cross the white line for training or a game as long as you all are in it together it's irrelevant.

I played a lot of footy, was fortunate enough to play in a relatively successful side playing in 3 flags and there are blokes I played with I only spoke to at training, on the field and the customary congratulations after a win or bad luck after a loss and that was it. We were all different but we never pushed blokes out cause they were into different things then others.

Carnegie Oval

Rookie
Feb 7, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I must have missed something. I have never seen Jonas be a leader. He has never marshaled and led our defence. I’m not saying he hasn’t played well and I see he mostly tries hard to compete. So if he’s not a leader then how did he get the captaincy gig?

Ollie should be sent for shoulder surgery immediately... so that he can be fit & ready for the water skiing season.
Dougal captained a pre season match! That means being a dumb footballer must be a pre requisite for future PA captains.
PLEASE PAFC just give the # 1 jumper back to Boak next season, admit our mistakes & move on positively in 2020.

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I must have missed something. I have never seen Jonas be a leader. He has never marshaled and led our defence. I’m not saying he hasn’t played well and I see he mostly tries hard to compete. So if he’s not a leader then how did he get the captaincy gig?
He was very much marshalling and leading the defence last year.

knocking blokes out = captain
feeling bad about it = GTFO

Breaking teenagers jaws? Well now, that's media darling street and million dollar contracts for you if you are Gaff!

Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Ollie should be sent for shoulder surgery immediately... so that he can be fit & ready for the water skiing season.
Dougal captained a pre season match! That means being a dumb footballer must be a pre requisite for future PA captains.
PLEASE PAFC just give the # 1 jumper back to Boak next season, admit our mistakes & move on positively in 2020.
Dougal Captained a regular season match actually, against Gold Cost earlier in the season when Wines, Jonas and Hartlett were all injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Taking Ken out of the equation :D:laughing: is it too simplistic to suggest the main difference between us and the better sides is they have captains/leaders who are reliably good in skill execution, game involvement and generally imposing themselves? We have a problem in that our young players aren't ready and our older players don't deliver anywhere near enough of the above. Hence we went with the co captains once Boak stepped down. They were literally ever so slightly the best of a so so lot of candidates.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This possibly belongs in the unpopular opinion thread at this point, but things could have been completely different if TJ was actually made captain. He could (not necessarily would, but could) have been a good captain.

His behaviour this season is exactly what you would expect after the administration let the team down by not choosing a captain at all.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
In this morning's Monopoly Times a super cool Tom Jonas accepts Kochie's criticsm re last week's performance but also had this to say '... we are doing a lot right. As bad as it might look that we lose one, win one, it’s not absolute panic stations. '

Tom, if you lose this week you will need to win 6 from the last 7 games to reach the magic 13 wins that you need to guarantee a finals spot. You openly admit that the side has trouble winning two games in a row and you are now telling us that losing this week and being faced with winning 6 from 7 is a no worries deal?

Two more losses from three games since Tom's insight and we are faced with winning 5 from 5 to make the eight. So Tom, I was wondering if the panic button has been pushed yet? It is obvious that to be Captain at Port Adelaide these days you have to be seen as a good fella among the playing group and someone who will toe the line. The Port Corp cannot have someone who rocks the boat and calls it as he sees it. That might spur the supporters to ask embarrassing questions about the way the Club is run particularly it's on field operations.

There was a time when the Port Adelaide Corporation meant the Local Council and Ports Corp ran the wharves now days it means the Football Club. This isn't all down to Tom Jonas of course but he is a pawn in the corporate system non the less.

70sDinosaur

Premiership Player
May 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Literally can't stand Jonas this season with his smug wise cracks regarding wake boarding and having a life outside of footy.

Just fu** off.
It is often said that people form impressions of other people within 30 seconds of first meeting them.

I recall meeting and briefly talking to most of the players at the Vic members day a couple of years ago and, oddly enough, the only one I felt any slightly negative reaction to was Jonas.

He does seem to have a certain smugness and arrogance about his demeanor, which I guess I must have picked up on.

Arrogance in a footballer is not necessarily a bad thing, but I think it needs to be directed at your opponents and backed up by your actions on the field. Unfortunately, Tom just doesn't seem to be a good enough player to do this.

To be displaying these characteristics towards those who are trying to support you is just plain dumb.

Literally can't stand Jonas this season with his smug wise cracks regarding wake boarding and having a life outside of footy.

Just fu** off.

He's lost me completely.

I want him out.

Ljc_86

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This co captain thing is a debacle. I’ve never felt so uninspired by Port players in leadership roles.

Being captain of this club is an honour and a privilege I’ve never felt an attachment or had a moment this season when either of them has sparked some inspiration for me during a game.
Club lacks leadership from top to bottom.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back