Roast Strip the captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

Are defenders good for being captain? Just a question as Jonas said after the Richmond game that there wasn’t much he could personally do about the onslaught at the beginning of the game as he was in the back half.
I like the idea of DBJ though.
Jonas is a ploddy last line defender but Darce gets up ground a lot more so i reckon thats ok

DBJ is pretty consistent and hard at it, but I'd honestly be going with someone who hasn't been infected with Ken's loser mentality for the past few years - Lycett.
Lycett I can’t see being a clear first ruck in two years time (maybe less) DBJ should still be holding his spot.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Here’s a thought: Darcy Byrne-Jones as captain

- 23 years old (same as when Ollie got the nod)
- definitely a first team player
- not prone to regular injury or suspension (only missed 3 games since debut)
- isnt our worst in games we lose
- tough and hard at it (Dom Cassisi-like)
- not likely to be forced out of the side in the (very) near to mid future
- will hit 100 games in 2020

On paper hes a solid candidate. I don’t know enough about his personality though, anyone got info there?

Can't operate an alarm clock. Trade/delist.

PAFC66

Down a dark alley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
From the outside looking in it's hard to see true leadership values but certainty wines and Jonas on field behaviour show absolutely nothing that looks like leadership. Wines is a sook and Jonas just plays football as a side hobby. If I had my choice I would make Robbie Gray captain. I'm not sure what traits he's weak at that doesn't make him a obvious choice. Seems the quiet type I guess...

To me though that's the obvious issues with this side , we haven't got anyone in this squad that's a standout leader on and off the field.. Boak was but pressure got to him like it does to many of our players and we ultimately fail.

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

On paper hes a solid candidate. I don’t know enough about his personality though, anyone got info there?
He strikes me as a bit of a nerdy recluse. Loves his gaming and what not, doesn’t seem like the type of fella to rally the troops. I’d more lean towards a Dan Houston if you’re going down that line of thinking, but I’d honestly have Hartlett captain for the next two to three and then reassess.

The irony of it all is that one of the primary justifications of this decision, was that there are now more non-gameday related captaincy requirements.

Yet the only time we hear from Jonas is when he is arrogantly dismissing member concerns and we literally never see or hear from Ollie.

Strange in the extreme.

Raffo

Team Captain
Jul 23, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ollie has to be the most overrated player we have. Should be nowhere near the captaincy, in fact I'd like to see him traded at the end of the season while he's still worth something.

Last year Jonas looked great so I can see why we might've chosen him for captain but he has to go now, it's not worked.

Unfortunately I think we've taken the captaincy off Boaky without having a decent replacement. He was the perfect captain: a team player, well spoken, likeable character and a good player, I blame Ken playing him out of position last year for his loss of captaincy and now the messed up leadership free situation we find ourselves in now.

Who should be the next captain? no ****ing idea, can we have Boak back?

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Except for lack of games Houston has it all over DBJ for potential Captain. If he had another 50 under the belt he'd be the standout candidate. Even without them I'd prefer over just about anyone else on the list.

Stryke

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Definite no to DBJ from me. He just isn't inspirational enough, or sure enough by foot to be captain.

It's another huge black mark to Hinkley that after 7 years we have no standout option for captain. The idea of Dixon as captain intrigues me, if he could mark and kick straight and you know, actually play football. I honestly don't know who it should be but Wines and Jonas has been an unmitigated disaster. It would take Wines turning into an AA mid for me to forgive him for his pre-season X Games antics. And Jonas' constant jibes at supporters and terrible hot potato/it's your problem disposal can fk right off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
He strikes me as a bit of a nerdy recluse. Loves his gaming and what not, doesn’t seem like the type of fella to rally the troops. I’d more lean towards a Dan Houston if you’re going down that line of thinking, but I’d honestly have Hartlett captain for the next two to three and then reassess.

Where do you get that impression? Surely if he liked gaming he'd be on the outer?

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Unpopular (maybe?) opinion but I think Ollie will grow into the role. He's had a bad year but he'll get better. Stripping him of the captaincy is a bad idea.

Unpopular (maybe?) opinion but I think Ollie will grow into the role. He's had a bad year but he'll get better. Stripping him of the captaincy is a bad idea.

I'm thinking stick with Ollie as single captain for 2020 onwards. He should carry the full weight of the captaincy and I reckon he'll improve once 2019 is behind him. I doubt he could possibly be any worse and stripping him of the captaincy would probably mean we should trade him out, which I don't want to do.

As much as I love Jonas, I wouldn't be so upset if he ended up in Sydney.

Let them spend a month from mid October to mid November, training with the SAS in the deserts of WA, and a proper leader will emerge.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots

I'd give it to Duursma. He's already got inside the head of opposition clubs and, unlike Jonas, interstate media already know who he is.

MutleyDog

Grumble Bum Extraordinaire
Nov 5, 2014
Straya
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Even before the season started Ollie was an underwhelming choice as a captain. And it has just got worse as the season continued. I wonder how much of the vitriol about co captains was based on the fact he was one of them. I expect Ollie to go as a free agent soon after (not if) Ken gets sacked.

KenOath

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That last kick by Jonas in front of Rockliff and then the clumsy oof prove that Jonas doesn't have the skill or composure to be a captain.

Last chance, roll of the dice stuff and he was literally the last bloke we wanted in possession of the ball or anywhere near the play to be honest!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back