Stronger and Bolder by Konrad Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

absolute gem of a read for any tigers supporter

The part that stood out to me was the chapter interviewing Nick Vlaustin. He talks about feeling over-coached with too much emphasis on specific actions in games (i.e. take possession in situation x, you must make decision y). He explained how by the time you had identified what you were "coached" to do, you were already being tackled, or the moment to make a good decision had passed. He then comments how things changed drastically in 2017 to what we see now with this more intuitive game-plan, based upon trust & understanding of where team mates will be.

For all Dimma's plaudits, I think his ability to re-invent himself & acknowledge his earlier coaching methodologies were not working is perhaps the biggest feather in his cap. Can't underestimate how much time & energy he would have invested in his previous philosophies, & to put ego aside & change direction seems a very brave & rare occurrence seldom seen in AFL :thumbsu:

The part that stood out to me was the chapter interviewing Nick Vlaustin. He talks about feeling over-coached with too much emphasis on specific actions in games (i.e. take possession in situation x, you must make decision y). He explained how by the time you had identified what you were "coached" to do, you were already being tackled, or the moment to make a good decision had passed. He then comments how things changed drastically in 2017 to what we see now with this more intuitive game-plan, based upon trust & understanding of where team mates will be.

For all Dimma's plaudits, I think his ability to re-invent himself & acknowledge his earlier coaching methodologies were not working is perhaps the biggest feather in his cap. Can't underestimate how much time & energy he would have invested in his previous philosophies, & to put ego aside & change direction seems a very brave & rare occurrence seldom seen in AFL :thumbsu:
“...to put ego aside & change direction seems a very brave & rare occurrence seldom seen in AFL”
Pretty rare to see anywhere - seen as a sign of weakness

its great for any RFC fan (I enjoyed it); but a lesser instalment compared to the 2017 version: if only for the unavoidable limitation he wasn't there for the duration of the season and didn't travel the whole journey (and therefore had less to work with), and the amount of new ground being broken in 2017 was greater than in 2019. for all that, a very worthy and well written document of the last part of a triumphant season.

Over coaching is most of what’s wrong with the league imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I loved it/
However it did paint a very Utopia like place when the reality is there would be conflict and disagreement just like in any other organisation.
Not everyone will get along.

I loved it/
However it did paint a very Utopia like place when the reality is there would be conflict and disagreement just like in any other organisation.
Not everyone will get along.
Agree Tugga. Any organisation that doesn't have some instances of disagreements or conflicts is seriously unhealthy. That would suggest that either the culture is so totalitarian that no disagreement is permitted, that its members are delusional to barking mad or that everyone is on drugs. I think Konrad's book merely looks at the higher level picture of the culture on display here. And intimates that whatever conflicts occur from time to time are dealt with in a positive way.

Rance Retire.jpg

Posted this in the Rance thread, but also wanted to put it here to further emphasise the point I made earlier on about how our club culture is so different to that at other clubs. I think the more people that read the books the more people will understand how special an environment there is at Punt Road

Its great that he has released the book for fans but wouldnt it better for richmond to release in a years time not straight after the season? Surely we would get the same enjoyments without it impacting now.

Agree Tugga. Any organisation that doesn't have some instances of disagreements or conflicts is seriously unhealthy. That would suggest that either the culture is so totalitarian that no disagreement is permitted, that its members are delusional to barking mad or that everyone is on drugs. I think Konrad's book merely looks at the higher level picture of the culture on display here. And intimates that whatever conflicts occur from time to time are dealt with in a positive way.

Oh yeah to change something, anything for the better is hard work...
To make constant positive changes is even harder especially in a large diverse Organization...it requires strong leaders to constantly drive excellence and walk the talk...Keeping everyone focused on the bigger picture and focusing their egos positively...

A Season with Richmond, Yellow and Black...KM...pages 27/28...

...Questioning and challenging are encouraged....Hardwick believes this is part of the default mindset required to play and win Finals...
...Conflict ensures all avenues are explored, all details are shared and understood, and all personnel are on the same page...
...The game plan that comes from such conflict and debate is expected to lead to winning ways...
...It is then up to the head coach to take whatever potential for incremental gains exists at Tigerland and turn it into something that can be trained to go to the next level...

Such a great read...

Last edited:
My mum came over a month ago and bought me a copy for Xmas. Was a good read, but nothing beats the 2017 version.

I finished mine and posted it to;

Nathan Buckley
C/O CFC
Vicshit Park
Whoringwood
Vic, Aus
D1ld0

Knock on Buckleys house.He should've finished it by now.

All jokes aside, I bet he has read the book in detail. He would have taken copious notes to add to those he took from the Y&B book, to figure out Collingwood's 2020 game plan and club strategy. I also don't think he's the only one - expect Adelaide, Essendon, Carlton, Fremantle and St Kilda to have very similar 'positive cultures' and 'outside contested possession/turnover' game plans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back