Trav 20

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
The Corridor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
A couple of days ago Jack Viney, who stands at 178cm/86kg, bench pressed 155 kilos. It got me wondering whether he's the strongest player in the AFL from a power to weight ratio.

Fraser Gehrig holds the record at the Saints with a press of 172.5kg, while it was reported a couple of years ago that Stefan Martin was king at Brisbane with a bench press of 150kg.

I'd embed the video here if I had more technical expertise, but below is the link of Viney's press. It's the second video down. Note: this shows a 150kg bench press, but he exceeded that not long after with 155.

https://20four.com.au/athletes/jack-viney/104

Of course, bench pressing isn't the only measure of someone's strength, but it's one of the most recognisable ways of evaluating power.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Power Raid

TheBrownDog
Oct 15, 2004
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A couple of days ago Jack Viney, who stands at 178cm/86kg, bench pressed 155 kilos. It got me wondering whether he's the strongest player in the AFL from a power to weight ratio.

Fraser Gehrig holds the record at the Saints with a press of 172.5kg, while it was reported a couple of years ago that Stefan Martin was king at Brisbane with a bench press of !50kg.

I'd embed the video here if I had more technical expertise, but below is the link of Viney's press. It's the second video down. Note: this shows a 150kg bench press, but he exceeded that not long after with 155.

https://20four.com.au/athletes/jack-viney/104

Of course, bench pressing isn't the only measure of someone's strength, but it's one of the most recognisable ways of evaluating power.
F me

I would have thought 125-135kgs would be about what someone with those stats could lift. That's impressive!

kaiserchief13

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Doing 70% over your bodyweight in bench is very impressive. Yeah Gehrig could lift more but he also weighed 30kg heavier

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Ignoring the bench press type stats and just thinking of who uses their strength effectively on field.

Small guys: Tippa
Med height (slight build): Rioli, Ablett
Med height (stronger build): Martin/Fyfe/Dangerfield
Taller guys: Franklin/Hawkins/McGovern/Rance
Rucks: Gawn/Sandilands

I'm sure there's plenty of others but these were the ones that first came to mind.

demondavey

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've seen Ted Richards lift, he was pretty strong. Squatted about 140 with great form for 5 reps. Benched 120 for 8 reps. You do the maths on his 1RM.

Mkcaptain

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
I think Buckley used to do mid 150s but the only source I can find was BigFooty.

And I think Dane Swan was our strongest player for a while. Not sure what his actual number was though

Top Bottom