Discussion Struggling with Mental Health (Call Beyond Blue (1300 224 636), Lifeline (131 114))

i try very hard to turn my brain off . i have been working in the same organisation for over 30 years (doing different things) and still i think i am not good enough. I am wired like this. i hate it.

My wife has had a bit of success with mindfulness and meditation. They are both really about disengaging your excessive intrusive thoughts. It would be worth a go if you can be bothered. It's probably not for everyone but plenty of people swear by it.

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
i try very hard to turn my brain off . i have been working in the same organisation for over 30 years (doing different things) and still i think i am not good enough. I am wired like this. i hate it.
Affirmations, gratitude and meditation are all good. Realising none of us are perfect, not expecting results you can't achieve. Rewarding any progress.

My wife has had a bit of success with mindfulness and meditation. They are both really about disengaging your excessive intrusive thoughts. It would be worth a go if you can be bothered. It's probably not for everyone but plenty of people swear by it.
I have tried both mindfulness and meditation but it never worked for me but it does for some people so its worth a try .

at the moment i cant turn my brain off at night , i usually end up getting up and watching tv or messing around on the computer. i am averaging about 3 hours per night . Usually my bad spells get better quickier but htis one has been going on for about 5 months now , i am getting worried i must admit.

at the moment i cant turn my brain off at night , i usually end up getting up and watching tv or messing around on the computer. i am averaging about 3 hours per night . Usually my bad spells get better quickier but htis one has been going on for about 5 months now , i am getting worried i must admit.
Hey BT66
Just wondering if you've ever gone down the path of using diet for helping with your sleep and depression symptoms
There is an ever increasing body of research implicating diet in many mental health issues.
I've been eating low carb for many years now and most nights my sleep is unbroken and restful (I used to get up 1 or 2 times during the night and my mind would be churning with thoughts)
I have also found that my thinking is a lot clearer and I get a lot less anxious about the problems that life invariably throws my way
I have posted a couple of links below if you, or anyone reading this post is interested in reading further

Jesus, you must feel wrecked. That's tough. With your back you can't even exercise for a break. Blue light from screens is meant to make it hard to sleep. If I watch Netflix in bed it takes ages to drop ff to sleep, if I read I can't stay awake. Might be something to it.

theprospect

Club Legend
Saints Pledge Contributor
Sep 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Don't know why but I feel more comfortable writing on here than actually talking to people. It's s**t, I know. But I've been struggling more with my anxiety lately. I can be fine for most of the day, even week and then suddenly it just hits me and I can't shake it.

Work is causing so much of my stress. I'm working on a project in a team which I've contributed nothing to. I know the more I put it off it's just getting worse and I'm letting them down but I just can't address it, somehow I keep convincing myself that if I just leave it then it will get better. I'm constantly worrying about what everyone thinks of me and try to avoid everyone. I think I come across as being so negative so I try to just stay out of people's way.

I've been knocked back for a couple of promotions lately as well. It's just taking a toll and I need to get out of there. I've got time off over Christmas/New Year so I'm hoping that a break will help but it's just hard at the moment. My sleep pattern is completely out of whack so I'm always exhausted.

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't know why but I feel more comfortable writing on here than actually talking to people. It's s**t, I know. But I've been struggling more with my anxiety lately. I can be fine for most of the day, even week and then suddenly it just hits me and I can't shake it.

Work is causing so much of my stress. I'm working on a project in a team which I've contributed nothing to. I know the more I put it off it's just getting worse and I'm letting them down but I just can't address it, somehow I keep convincing myself that if I just leave it then it will get better. I'm constantly worrying about what everyone thinks of me and try to avoid everyone. I think I come across as being so negative so I try to just stay out of people's way.

I've been knocked back for a couple of promotions lately as well. It's just taking a toll and I need to get out of there. I've got time off over Christmas/New Year so I'm hoping that a break will help but it's just hard at the moment. My sleep pattern is completely out of whack so I'm always exhausted.
Have you sought professional help? Sorry you may have said so above. go to the GP as a start and get a referral if not.

Jesus man, that's s**t. It's doesn't sound odd that it's easier to talk here than in real life. I feel stressed for you. I'm a procrastinator so I get it. If stuff makes me anxious I avoid it for as long as possible, you really should go see someone though. You could look in to CBT or cognitive behavioural therapy. It's about creating coping strategies. It seems pretty common sense. My wife is studying psych, I'm no expert, just read up on it. You can get a mental health plan from the GP and are entitled to free psych access. If you are under 25 you can use Headspace too.

I went to my doctor yesterday to ask to increase my anti depressant meds , unfortunately I’m already on the limit . That sucks , I didn’t realise . Tonight I’m just lying on my bed listening to music that I like , don’t feel like doing anything. Is it because I’m depressed that all I want to do is sleep or have I somehow got that chronic fatigue thingie , I have no energy , feel tired and sore all over and don’t want to get out of bed . Problem is if I go to the doctor asking about cfs I am going to feel like a hypochondriac as I have had so many issues over the last few years .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I went to my doctor yesterday to ask to increase my anti depressant meds , unfortunately I’m already on the limit . That sucks , I didn’t realise . Tonight I’m just lying on my bed listening to music that I like , don’t feel like doing anything. Is it because I’m depressed that all I want to do is sleep or have I somehow got that chronic fatigue thingie , I have no energy , feel tired and sore all over and don’t want to get out of bed . Problem is if I go to the doctor asking about cfs I am going to feel like a hypochondriac as I have had so many issues over the last few years .

I've had depression for 11 years going on 12 (2008), I was 18 when I was diagnosed after my grandfathers passing which hit me very hard coupled with finishing school and having to go out into the real world, it was a very stressful time that obviously took a lot out of me.

The last five years I have managed it (depression never goes away it can only be managed IMO) by meditating. I do two 20 minute sessions a day, one when I wake up and one when I go to bed. Specifically it's transcendental meditation, because I know there's a few different ones out there.

It has changed my life. When my father passed away six years ago if it weren't for TM I'm not sure where I'd be.

I would give that a go. I am heavily against medications, I don't want to ever rely on them and haven't taken any since 2011.

I have my up days and down days and even my up moments and down moments but I always tell myself the feelings will pass, whether they be good or bad. And they do. If I'm having a s**t day I think back to the fact that it is a feeling and a thought and like all thoughts they come and go...you have complete control over the life you want to live and the mentality you want to foster. For me everything is temporary, it will come and it will go, the big thing is to not act on a feeling or a thought. Let it pass through you. Be centered. You will find your life will become a lot less chaotic.

I was always minimalistic, never relied on material things to show my worth as a person, and I think this also helped me. If you are caught up in having the best car or the best phone or whatever else, it will consume you. It's never ending. People like this keep chasing the 'next thing' in the hope it will change their life. It doesn't. Start from within. Your life can only be changed from within.

I would also speak to support groups. I have never done it but would still recommend it for anyone doing it really tough. Heck, this thread is as good of a support group as any. You can always reach out to me if you need anything. Meditating has shown me how silly our minds are and how our body and our mind are two separate entities. Don't get caught up on what you think. Your mind is simply a tool that you can use. It has no connection to your actual feeling or worth as a human being. When you meditate you notice this almost immediately. The thoughts that pass through your head are almost ridiculous at times. It shows your mind has no concept of who you are. It just takes in information and spits it out.

Hope this helps...I am no expert but have definitely felt a huge change in my overall feeling and "baseline" feeling. I am much more centered. I don't let the environment I am in or others consume me. My best advice to you would be to not act immediately on a thought or feeling. Take a day to sleep on it. If it's still an issue the next day then act on it. If not then make a note of how you felt when something happened to you the day before and how you feel now. You will notice 95% of it you overblow in your head.

:thumbsu:

Apr 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Great post George. I'd just advise anyone who is struggling to try anything and see what works. Try not to be discourage if something that works for one person doesn't have the same effect on you.
We're all affected differently and will respond differently. I've found a range of things that have worked for me but I do them in a way that resonates with me. Life's not perfect but I understand myself, my life and my needs better now.
I hope others are able to find the things that work for them.

Great post George. I'd just advise anyone who is struggling to try anything and see what works. Try not to be discourage if something that works for one person doesn't have the same effect on you.
We're all affected differently and will respond differently. I've found a range of things that have worked for me but I do them in a way that resonates with me. Life's not perfect but I understand myself, my life and my needs better now.
I hope others are able to find the things that work for them.
Thanks mate, the only reason I am against medication is the body becomes immune to the dosage and then you spend your life upping and upping it. True change is found within. :innocent:

I've had depression for 11 years going on 12 (2008), I was 18 when I was diagnosed after my grandfathers passing which hit me very hard coupled with finishing school and having to go out into the real world, it was a very stressful time that obviously took a lot out of me.

The last five years I have managed it (depression never goes away it can only be managed IMO) by meditating. I do two 20 minute sessions a day, one when I wake up and one when I go to bed. Specifically it's transcendental meditation, because I know there's a few different ones out there.

It has changed my life. When my father passed away six years ago if it weren't for TM I'm not sure where I'd be.

I would give that a go. I am heavily against medications, I don't want to ever rely on them and haven't taken any since 2011.

I have my up days and down days and even my up moments and down moments but I always tell myself the feelings will pass, whether they be good or bad. And they do. If I'm having a s**t day I think back to the fact that it is a feeling and a thought and like all thoughts they come and go...you have complete control over the life you want to live and the mentality you want to foster. For me everything is temporary, it will come and it will go, the big thing is to not act on a feeling or a thought. Let it pass through you. Be centered. You will find your life will become a lot less chaotic.

I was always minimalistic, never relied on material things to show my worth as a person, and I think this also helped me. If you are caught up in having the best car or the best phone or whatever else, it will consume you. It's never ending. People like this keep chasing the 'next thing' in the hope it will change their life. It doesn't. Start from within. Your life can only be changed from within.

I would also speak to support groups. I have never done it but would still recommend it for anyone doing it really tough. Heck, this thread is as good of a support group as any. You can always reach out to me if you need anything. Meditating has shown me how silly our minds are and how our body and our mind are two separate entities. Don't get caught up on what you think. Your mind is simply a tool that you can use. It has no connection to your actual feeling or worth as a human being. When you meditate you notice this almost immediately. The thoughts that pass through your head are almost ridiculous at times. It shows your mind has no concept of who you are. It just takes in information and spits it out.

Hope this helps...I am no expert but have definitely felt a huge change in my overall feeling and "baseline" feeling. I am much more centered. I don't let the environment I am in or others consume me. My best advice to you would be to not act immediately on a thought or feeling. Take a day to sleep on it. If it's still an issue the next day then act on it. If not then make a note of how you felt when something happened to you the day before and how you feel now. You will notice 95% of it you overblow in your head.

Thanks George , i shall certainly give it a go , ive tried before but it was a long time ago . Its worth another attempt.

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda

Brilliant post George. A great share that may help many on here. I guess it's about accessing the tookbox to find what works for you.

Well done

I'd like to share a post of someone I know from another forum on BF. Not necessarily related to Mental Health but it's something some of you might be experiencing.

"I've absolutely loved being part of the SFA in 2019 - plenty of laughs, including some at my expense, as well as a premiership and several other highlights along the way. But always, simmering in the background has been a real life situation that few except my team mates have been aware of. You see, my lovely wife and I have 2 autistic boys: one of whom has been getting progressively more angry and aggressive over the last couple of years. My wife has born the brunt of his aggressive nature, often without warning. He could be doing the same thing on consecutive days, and his reactions would often be polar opposites. For instance, he loves our desk top computer. One day, he would sit quietly at the computer, and you wouldn't hear a peep out of him, while a day later, something would snap in his brain, and the monitor might end up on the floor!!!!

But the toughest part of 2019 has been the physical attacks on my wife - sometimes while she was driving. She would lean forward to get away from his clutches, but he would grab her by the hair, pull her back, and then grab her by the throat. How the hell she never had an accident, I'll never know, but I'll be forever grateful that nothing sinister ever occurred.

As 2019 progressed, the physical attacks - both at home and in the car, increased in ferocity and became more frequent: to the extent that my wife said to me semi-sarcastically one morning, "He only attacked me once this morning." I knew it was time to take action, and when I saw my doctor in late August about an unrelated matter, I told him what had been going on, and he asked me to bring my wife and son to him a couple of days later.

When we arrived at the surgery on the Thursday night, he was quiet at first. Then without warning, he stood up and physically attacked my wife in full view of the doctor!!! The doctor immediately said, "I've seen enough", and said it was time to have him admitted to hospital. We arrived at the hospital on the Friday afternoon, and he duly responded with an extraordinary act of rage: to the extent that the medical staff had to shackle him to a bed before they could treat him. They admitted him that night, and he's been there ever since.

In the 3 and a bit months since, we've seen an amazing transformation in his behaviour. He occasionally shows a glimpse of his former self, but there's a vast difference between what he was then, and what he is now. In the last few weeks, we've received the news that a house will be built for him: fully funded by NDIS - plus NDIS will pay his weekly rent in full. The downside is that he's stuck in hospital for a few more months, while it's being built.

Yeah it's been a tough year, but things are definitely looking up. With our boy being cared for around the clock, we can start to make plans we could only dream about before he went into hospital. These experiences have drawn us closer together as a couple, and we're looking forward to what lies ahead for us.

If anybody in the SFA community is having similar issues, I would urge you to seek help, rather than continue to hope the situation will improve. There's some wonderful people out there, and they'll be able to help you, just like they've helped us. Bring on 2020!!!"

Cheers to philreich for allowing to me share this!

I'd like to share a post of someone I know from another forum on BF. Not necessarily related to Mental Health but it's something some of you might be experiencing.

"I've absolutely loved being part of the SFA in 2019 - plenty of laughs, including some at my expense, as well as a premiership and several other highlights along the way. But always, simmering in the background has been a real life situation that few except my team mates have been aware of. You see, my lovely wife and I have 2 autistic boys: one of whom has been getting progressively more angry and aggressive over the last couple of years. My wife has born the brunt of his aggressive nature, often without warning. He could be doing the same thing on consecutive days, and his reactions would often be polar opposites. For instance, he loves our desk top computer. One day, he would sit quietly at the computer, and you wouldn't hear a peep out of him, while a day later, something would snap in his brain, and the monitor might end up on the floor!!!!

But the toughest part of 2019 has been the physical attacks on my wife - sometimes while she was driving. She would lean forward to get away from his clutches, but he would grab her by the hair, pull her back, and then grab her by the throat. How the hell she never had an accident, I'll never know, but I'll be forever grateful that nothing sinister ever occurred.

As 2019 progressed, the physical attacks - both at home and in the car, increased in ferocity and became more frequent: to the extent that my wife said to me semi-sarcastically one morning, "He only attacked me once this morning." I knew it was time to take action, and when I saw my doctor in late August about an unrelated matter, I told him what had been going on, and he asked me to bring my wife and son to him a couple of days later.

When we arrived at the surgery on the Thursday night, he was quiet at first. Then without warning, he stood up and physically attacked my wife in full view of the doctor!!! The doctor immediately said, "I've seen enough", and said it was time to have him admitted to hospital. We arrived at the hospital on the Friday afternoon, and he duly responded with an extraordinary act of rage: to the extent that the medical staff had to shackle him to a bed before they could treat him. They admitted him that night, and he's been there ever since.

In the 3 and a bit months since, we've seen an amazing transformation in his behaviour. He occasionally shows a glimpse of his former self, but there's a vast difference between what he was then, and what he is now. In the last few weeks, we've received the news that a house will be built for him: fully funded by NDIS - plus NDIS will pay his weekly rent in full. The downside is that he's stuck in hospital for a few more months, while it's being built.

Yeah it's been a tough year, but things are definitely looking up. With our boy being cared for around the clock, we can start to make plans we could only dream about before he went into hospital. These experiences have drawn us closer together as a couple, and we're looking forward to what lies ahead for us.

If anybody in the SFA community is having similar issues, I would urge you to seek help, rather than continue to hope the situation will improve. There's some wonderful people out there, and they'll be able to help you, just like they've helped us. Bring on 2020!!!"

Cheers to philreich for allowing to me share this!

I actually saw a lady in Caulfield the other day dealing with this same situation, the boy would have only been about 13 but was obviously pretty profoundly autistic. At first I thought it was some random attack on a woman walking then realised from what she said it wasn't sinister. But you could see that he was growing and nearly bigger than her, He was grabbing her hair and pulling her over then ended up on the ground beating his hands and feet into the concrete in rage and frustration. It was so hard to watch and my heart was breaking for the woman. She looked so stressed and upset, you don't know if you should offer help or just piss off and mind your own business (which I chose but felt like a bad person because of). It really shook me in a few minutes I saw it, you would have to be strong to cope with it on a daly basis. Hats off to philreich and his wife. I'm glad it seems to be sorted long term for him.

Wasn't sure where to post this, this thread seemed most appropriate. But I just finished reading this book, fantastic read focusing on the positive effects of gratitude, empathy and mindfullness - https://www.penguin.com.au/books/the-resilience-project-9781760892777.

There's a little anecdote in there about Nick Riewoldt when Hugh came and did his presentation to our players a few years ago (spoiler: Nick wasn't interested in participating as he had sat through too many seminars - pretty s**t as the then captain imo)
As the book explains, most elite sports teams in Australia have had Hugh present and educate on these simple measures. Richmond received their presentation 3 years ago, Dustin Martin has been "journalling" as the book talks about for over 1000 days, which seems to co-incide with the time he absolutely exploded as an AFL footballer.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever called Beyond Blue or Lifeline ? Asking for a friend ....... no it’s for me of course . Ive nearly rung them a few times but I’m unsure what sort of response you get .

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
Has anyone ever called Beyond Blue or Lifeline ? Asking for a friend ....... no it’s for me of course . Ive nearly rung them a few times but I’m unsure what sort of response you get .

I never have but I'd be pretty confident they'd be good. I'd encourage you to call them BT. If you don't like the way they interact you can always hang up

Back