Stuart MacGill suing CA for $2.6m

Remove this Banner Ad

Stuart MacGill, Cricket Australia urged to begin mediation by Supreme Court

Cricket Australia and Stuart MacGill have been ordered by the Victorian Supreme Court to attend mediation over the former Test cricketer's $2.6 million injury case.

As reported by Fairfax Media last Sunday, MacGill had left CA puzzled by failing to attend a recent directions hearing in Melbourne. He had lodged a $1.6 million case for loss of match payments and prizemoney, and almost $1 million in interest, plus costs, in January, 2015.

That MacGill had not attended the hearing in person, nor have any legal representation, as confirmed by the court, had left the case in limbo. But a court spokeswoman said last week the two parties have been ordered to attend mediation by no later than July 28. If that is unsuccessful, a trial has been set for August 14.

MacGill, who played 44 Tests and claimed 208 wickets at 29.01, had claimed CA had neglected or failed to pay him injury payments over a two-year period from May 2008 when he was unable to play Test cricket because of injury.

The final amount of $1,640,890 included tour payments for 15 away Test matches ($846,090), tour payments for 11 home game Test matches ($140,800), retainer payments at $297,000 for 52 weeks, retainer payments at $333,000 for 52 weeks and prizemoney for nine Test series at $27,000.

In the writ, MacGill said CA had signed him for one year and offered him a further one-year contract for 2008-09 campaign before he was "incapable" of playing as a result of "injuries and complications from injuries". He played his final Test on the 2008 tour of the West Indies.

Fairfax Media has unsuccessfully sought comment from MacGill on three different mobile phone numbers.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cric...diation-by-supreme-court-20170218-gufwgn.html

If the bloke has 3 mobiles I'm guessing he doesn't need the cash

Could just be that they've been given or come across three different contact numbers, which may or may not be active. Doesn't necessarily mean he's got three active mobile phones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could just be that they've been given or come across three different contact numbers, which may or may not be active. Doesn't necessarily mean he's got three active mobile phones.

That's true, however I got the impression by the fact that they even mentioned a number, that it was almost a snide shot at him - ie. why does a guy busy enough to have 3 mobiles need to sue for such a ridiculous amount?

If it was simply the case that the office contact list had been updated a couple of times it doesn't seem like the kind of thing they'd make a point about.

That's true, however I got the impression by the fact that they even mentioned a number, that it was almost a snide shot at him - ie. why does a guy busy enough to have 3 mobiles need to sue for such a ridiculous amount?

If it was simply the case that the office contact list had been updated a couple of times it doesn't seem like the kind of thing they'd make a point about.

Or it was the latter, and they've just worded it in a way to make him look bad/shady/elusive.

Mate a bloke is sueing CA for $2.5 million. What's the harm in guessing at his financial status when the whole issue surrounds finance?

We do it in footy thread after thread when someone signs a contract or there's speculation about them signing, what they're worth etc.

I'm guessing he has $2,356,278,72638.57

How many phones does that equate to?

Only as a means to an end.

I have absolutely no way of being certain but I reckon he's got a fair bit of coin.

So having "a fair bit of coin" as you put it, excludes him from taking legal action to be paid his rightful salary? (According to him) or as you put it "ridiculous amount"
If it's owed it should be paid regardless of how many bottles of grange he has in his cellar.

So having "a fair bit of coin" as you put it, excludes him from taking legal action to be paid his rightful salary? (According to him) or as you put it "ridiculous amount"
If it's owed it should be paid regardless of how many bottles of grange he has in his cellar.

Where did I say that?

The whole point of my initial speculation was to suggest that he isn't just doing it for money, Which suggests that he has a pretty firm belief in the cause.

Mate a bloke is sueing CA for $2.5 million. What's the harm in guessing at his financial status when the whole issue surrounds finance?

We do it in footy thread after thread when someone signs a contract or there's speculation about them signing, what they're worth etc.
Didn't say there was any harm in it. Just continuously amazes me the sort of specious nonsense that peanuts will assert on this forum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back