Student workouts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Engimal

Cancelled
10k Posts North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor Pantskyle Minecraft Shiny Penny Ruby
Apr 27, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Basically I'm a student who plays for his School Football club and making my re-entry into Club football next year. Being a student in a small rural town, I don't have a whole lot of time for a gym. During the summer, this is fine as I simply swim every day. But in the winter, I begin to form a gut and, unfortunately, Winter happens to be the season for footy.

So, with that in mind, what would you put in a daily(or other) routine to lose fat on a limited timeframe? (school, homework, no car, etc.)

I'm a full time student myself, and to get a good workout in, I get up at 5.30am during the week, and on alternate days, I'll run 10km (occasionally doing some interval work, which I do need to do more of), or spend an hour at the gym - nothing too big, start with a 3km run as a warm up before I hit the weights. On weekends I occasionally do a 16km circuit instead of the 10km. Find it works pretty well, and I'm a big guy, prone to putting on weight (came down from 125kg 2 years ago to 97kg now)

I'm a full time student myself, and to get a good workout in, I get up at 5.30am during the week, and on alternate days, I'll run 10km (occasionally doing some interval work, which I do need to do more of), or spend an hour at the gym - nothing too big, start with a 3km run as a warm up before I hit the weights. On weekends I occasionally do a 16km circuit instead of the 10km. Find it works pretty well, and I'm a big guy, prone to putting on weight (came down from 125kg 2 years ago to 97kg now)

It is a thought. So would you recommend running 3km every other morning for a couple of weeks to begin with?

You only make excuses if you're not committed.

I work FT (40 hours), Uni FT (4 units a semester -16 contact hours a week), travel to and from uni, play footy so train Thursday nights and play on Saturdays, leave plenty of time to keep the gf happy, and I still manage to get into the gym four times and week and cook just about all my meals.

If you have a desire to do it, you will do it!!

It is a thought. So would you recommend running 3km every other morning for a couple of weeks to begin with?
Definitely to start. I started off doing 2.5km runs, and gradually built up.

As above - you will make the time. Think of what you can do without for an hour a day (or whatever you need).

You only make excuses if you're not committed.

I work FT (40 hours), Uni FT (4 units a semester -16 contact hours a week), travel to and from uni, play footy so train Thursday nights and play on Saturdays, leave plenty of time to keep the gf happy, and I still manage to get into the gym four times and week and cook just about all my meals.

If you have a desire to do it, you will do it!!

No excuses indeed. But I'm also 16 and a 45 minute bus ride into the city. Distance is the only real factor.
But yes, I'll start on 2.5k runs. Anything else to add to the routine?

Pushups, chinups and crunches are something that is very easy to do anywhere - before you go to bed do a few. I do sets of 20 until I can't get any more out every night. Nice and quick and easy.

Pushups, chinups and crunches are something that is very easy to do anywhere - before you go to bed do a few. I do sets of 20 until I can't get any more out every night. Nice and quick and easy.

Crunches kill my back.
But pushups are good.

You don't need to go anywhere or even have a lot of time. I'm no expert personally but there's plenty of stuff on the net regarding how to get a real good work out just in your own backyard. Also....intervals.

You don't need to go anywhere or even have a lot of time. I'm no expert personally but there's plenty of stuff on the net regarding how to get a real good work out just in your own backyard. Also....intervals.

Yeah, I've heard interval training is the ticket.
Do you think I could incorporate some footy into the routine. I have a local footy ground nearby and running there is slightly less than a kilometer so it'd be a goon destination for the morning. Any individual kicking drills you can think of?

On your own? (Kick...run...pick up...repeat..run..bounce...run...bounce...repeat) x infinity ?

On your own? (Kick...run...pick up...repeat..run..bounce...run...bounce...repeat) x infinity ?

Pays to practice... my brother was doing this by himself at our local park when a guy came up and offered him $350 a game to play for his country footy team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your best bet is to look up on the internet for activities you can do. If you've got cash, head down to K-Mart who sell bars and weights and start from there, won't cost you adove 100 dollars. Beats paying for gym to be honest. Wish I took that advice before I signed up for gym..

Do lots of running, make sure you run on a hill, different setting each time because when you do the same thing, it gets boring after a while.

For core strenght, do front plank and side plank. Sit ups and push ups are always good as well.

As for individual kicking drills, bomb it in the air as high as you can and chase it, not only it improves your reaction time but also your marking too. Just some of the things I used to do. No chest marks, hands up.

Nothing will beat the equipment you get at a gym unless you're full of cash

They ain't that expensive from K-Mart, I thought 30 bucks for a bar is pretty good and a 10 kg set costs around 30 as well. Lasts you a lifetime.

They ain't that expensive from K-Mart, I thought 30 bucks for a bar is pretty good and a 10 kg set costs around 30 as well. Lasts you a lifetime.

A $200 bar is what i'd class as "cheap", and i wouldn't expect that to last more than a few years or handle much weight. For a good quality bar that'll last a lifetime, you're looking at $500-600 - or more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back