Studs/Sprigs up rule

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly this makes me laugh, the same people complaining about this are likely the same ones complaining when we punish people for the result of a high bump (more if concussed etc). All it takes is for someone to quickly turn around after realising they are under the ball and boom studs in the face. Surely we can all agree we don't want to see that? Let's get that action out of the game...easy

Don't speak for other people. It's a terrible rule with no place in the game. May aswell say the same about knees when marking

That the umpire cited the "studs up" rule kind of misses the point as to why this COULD be a free kick.

Not saying this one was bad enough, but I can see a situation where the feet go in an opponent's back NOT to get a ride, but merely to push them in the back and out of the contest. In that case, there really is no great skill of a speccy on display; it's just pushing someone in the back, aka cheating.

It's not something we really see a lot of, but it is possible that players would start doing it, and I defy anyone to tell me it would be a good look for the game.

Don't know how you'd define the difference between a genuine speccy and a push in the back with the feet. Perhaps if your other foot is on the ground at the time it's deemed a push rather than an attempt to mark? At least if both feet go in (like this case) there is a level of skill required to maintain some baggage and still take the ball.

Toby Greene was just playing kickboxing or karate, and if the umpire did his damn job and blew the whistle and called him for the free kick for push out-high contact (+ dangerous contact), the umpires post-match review no freekin way would have scored him down. It WAS and ambiguous* 50-50 call.

*eh blackcat ya self-talking schizophrenic thirdperson muppet: if it is 50-50 &ambiguous how does one assert "freekin umpire NOT doing his job?"

Well the umpire needed to be prescient with support of precedent he could create★

★ofcourse there are prolly ~±4dozen ambiguous calls in 50/50margin that could have driven IRONCLAD precedent, if the game's stewards had foresight and acuity. They didn't, but the umpire with aid of Toby Greene would leave the game susceptible to the succour-moms[sic] TM . Don't plagiarise it folks, I trademarked it. Goes for you too #cherf, you son, are an incorrigible plagiariser. #meds #dresden 🔥

medusala
Chief

I saw one paid the other day against a player who actually took the mark, simply because the guy placed his studs on the opposition player's butt. How's this tonight then, without marking it:

I saw one paid the other day against a player who actually took the mark, simply because the guy placed his studs on the opposition player's butt. How's this tonight then, without marking it:

View attachment 711616

Noticed this too, very inconsistent. Terrible rule anyway massive over reaction to Greene.

Totally pointless rule that never needed to exist. What Greene did in that final last year the umpire simply needed to call a shepherding free kick against him. That's what it was and they invented a new rule for no reason.

Totally pointless rule that never needed to exist. What Greene did in that final last year the umpire simply needed to call a shepherding free kick against him. That's what it was and they invented a new rule for no reason.
Or not bring in a new rule as there was nothing wrong with Greene's action, one that had been used many many times before, and only pay the free if he collected someone on the head. Like any contest.

Or not bring in a new rule as there was nothing wrong with Greene's action, one that had been used many many times before, and only pay the free if he collected someone on the head. Like any contest.
But he did collect someone on the head.

I'd also suggest that if you draw blood from a player's head (which also means collected player has to leave the field) with a deliberate action with your sprigs, which is what happened to Dahlhaus, it's more than simply a free kick. There's not much difference between sticking your sprigs into someone's face or punching them with your fist. Both should be reportable.

But he did collect someone on the head.

I'd also suggest that if you draw blood from a player's head (which also means collected player has to leave the field) with a deliberate action with your sprigs, which is what happened to Dahlhaus, it's more than simply a free kick. There's not much difference between sticking your sprigs into someone's face or punching them with your fist. Both should be reportable.

Yep, once and was pinged for it.

Another one (perhaps 2) against Jack Reiwoldt today. Bad rule that needs to be rewritten to stop what it was actually bought in for and not players taking speccies.

If you're doing it to elevate yourself over an opponent, good.

If you're using it to block or fend off a player, bad.

I think it's a perfectly sensible rule and it's ridiculous that there's such a furore every time it's paid.

Why object to the Riewoldt one(s)? He cannoned squarely into defenders with the studs of his boots. Did it 2-3 times, one of which caused Sheppard to leave the field with his leg injured by the studs.

Oh but "that's not what the rule was brought in for" Dimma? What is then? Exclusively Toby Greene?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's a perfectly sensible rule and it's ridiculous that there's such a furore every time it's paid.

Why object to the Riewoldt one(s)? He cannoned squarely into defenders with the studs of his boots. Did it 2-3 times, one of which caused Sheppard to leave the field with his leg injured by the studs.

Oh but "that's not what the rule was brought in for" Dimma? What is then? Exclusively Toby Greene?
So I guess when liam Ryan sits on someone's head of should be a free against for high contact?

What about his mark against gawn? Gave him a fair and square push in the back, just with his knees instead of his arms

So I guess when liam Ryan sits on someone's head of should be a free against for high contact?

What about his mark against gawn? Gave him a fair and square push in the back, just with his knees instead of his arms

Yeah but that was different , no yellow sash

Studs up can cause injuries as seen by rewaldt's 2nd of 3 studs up marking attempts today .
Sheppard came off the ground after a studs straight into his knee . Was in a lot of pain .

Riewoldt is blatantly kicking his opponent out of the contest as he is not close enough to jump on him with his knees. No issue with the free for me.

That’s not a speccy

How did he do that? They ran straight towards each other.
I stand corrected, I though gawn was facing the other way. In reality Ryan went studs up with both feet to his face
images

Last edited:
Studs up can cause injuries as seen by rewaldt's 2nd of 3 studs up marking attempts today .
Sheppard came off the ground after a studs straight into his knee . Was in a lot of pain .
Nothing to do with the actual studs tho, a toe kick to the knee would be worse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back