davo99

Club Legend
May 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea
So I'm thinking of studying abroad for a semester in either Europe or the UK. Has anyone here studied abroad? Was it worth it? What where your experiences?

I have on regret in life and that is not studying abroad, I have since gone some way to make up for it by living abroad but I dont think I will ever completely compensate for what I missed out on.

Do it.

Doing a masters in Europe best ******* decision ever as others have said (had friends who bitched out and just did a semester ;)). Drop me a PM.

Care to elaborate a bit on this mate? Considering studying in the US.

Sure, I studied in a small liberal arts college in upstate New York (Ithaca to be precise). I had the advantage on studying in a small collegetown, so every tends to know each other and you will always see familiar faces around town. I studied during the Fall semester (second half of the year) which I highly recommend as you a) get the advantage of the best weather during the year from August through October- starts snowing in November December through to March/April in the northern regions) and b) you get to experience Halloween - college students go INSANE around this time with parties and costumes etc. You also get Homecoming (the football team's first home game) and Thanksgiving (Amercians are some of the most inviting people and you will almost certainly receive a number of invitations to a family's Thanksgiving. They love Australians too, so if you are looking to get laid- trust me, you wont have a problem. The US system is so much more vibrant than the Australian system - everyone lives away from home and goes nuts- particularly in the last couple of weeks around finals time.

Any questions, feel free to PM me, happy to answer them.

Thinking of doing a semester or two next year, however a bit dumbfounded on where to go. Wouldn't mind going to the states or Canada but heard the rent/ board is quite expensive and my uni only allows one semester in north america, plus ill only be 19, so it might be better to go when ill be able to visit vegas, clubs and the like . Somewhere in Asia sounds good for bettering my career options but not sure how much of a 'college' experience it would be given the expected high ratio of Asians who don't know English in China and Japan (could be wrong) and that my experience with Asia is that its good in small doses, although Hong Kong would be good. Europe sounds good but I've heard backpacking is a much better way to experience Europe, so not sold on that either. Any help would be appreciated on good destinations.

Europe is ace. You'll be able to learn another language quite easily if you want. Living here is the **** - backpacking around ******* sucks. What are you studying? PM me if you want.

I did a semester overseas. Had a few options, the main two I considered were Richmond, Virginia and Sheffield, England. As I had previously spent 6 months in the US backpacking and had never been to Europe, I chose England. Had to have a HD average to qualify and I was given a scholarship that covered room + board. Had to choose subjects that matched what I was doing here (Business degree), ended up doing mostly marketing and management units.

Was a great experience. We all had single rooms. Would get heaps of free tickets to sports, EPL, basketball, ice hockey. Great spot for travelling to Manchester, Liverpool, London, Scotland, Ireland, Holland, Paris etc

Would have been better if social media was around back then.

If you are not 21, then the US may not be the best option given their drinking age, unless you are near the CAN or MEX border.

Europe is ace. You'll be able to learn another language quite easily if you want. Living here is the **** - backpacking around ******* sucks. What are you studying? PM me if you want.

Interesting. Where in Europe are you studying? Im doing a bachelor of Commerce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did a semester overseas. Had a few options, the main two I considered were Richmond, Virginia and Sheffield, England. As I had previously spent 6 months in the US backpacking and had never been to Europe, I chose England. Had to have a HD average to qualify and I was given a scholarship that covered room + board. Had to choose subjects that matched what I was doing here (Business degree), ended up doing mostly marketing and management units.

Was a great experience. We all had single rooms. Would get heaps of free tickets to sports, EPL, basketball, ice hockey. Great spot for travelling to Manchester, Liverpool, London, Scotland, Ireland, Holland, Paris etc

Would have been better if social media was around back then.

If you are not 21, then the US may not be the best option given their drinking age, unless you are near the CAN or MEX border.

Was thinking I could get a fakie over here and when I bring it to the U.S they wouldn't have a clue. But England would be fantastic for the history, nightlife, sport and the opportunities to travel the rest of Euro.

Was thinking I could get a fakie over here and when I bring it to the U.S they wouldn't have a clue. But England would be fantastic for the history, nightlife, sport and the opportunities to travel the rest of Euro.

Most U.S bars require passports from abroad, not ID cards or drivers licenses, FYI.

Most U.S bars require passports from abroad, not ID cards or drivers licenses, FYI.
It's such a pain! Ruined many a night when I forgot.

Honestly * going somewhere on exchange were you can't have a social drink. s**t my department gets us trollied minimum 3 x a semester, it's in the budget under student activities :D

I have on regret in life and that is not studying abroad, I have since gone some way to make up for it by living abroad but I dont think I will ever completely compensate for what I missed out on.

Do it.
Why's that?

Genuinely curious, must have a good story or two to share from friends/family.

Would you guys/girls recomend going for a semester or a year?
Depends really. I would do a year if you can. Let's you really get a handle on the language if you're learning one, also Europe is much different in summer and winter so you really want to be able to experience it all. :)

Depends really. I would do a year if you can. Let's you really get a handle on the language if you're learning one, also Europe is much different in summer and winter so you really want to be able to experience it all. :)

Yeah was leaning towards going for a year, I've heard a lot of people regretting going for just the one semester. Its a pretty huge commitment though. Im probably going to head over to either Hong Kong for a year or Canada for a semester.

Yeah was leaning towards going for a year, I've heard a lot of people regretting going for just the one semester. Its a pretty huge commitment though. Im probably going to head over to either Hong Kong for a year or Canada for a semester.
Tell me to piss off, but go somewhere else more interesting and not English speaking. :)

Tell me to piss off, but go somewhere else more interesting and not English speaking. :)

Ive been to Hong Kong a couple times and found it quite fascinating, always a lot to do and the city never sleeps. Plus being a tall white man can have some benefits :p.

Ive been to Hong Kong a couple times and found it quite fascinating, always a lot to do and the city never sleeps. Plus being a tall white man can have some benefits :p.
Oh rearry ;) Will you be able to pick up any Cantonese while you're there? What are you studying if you don't mind me asking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back