Stuff-North-did-that-we-didn't-like-Rulebook - 201X Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a centre circle rule that JDR had originally included but edited now.
He's talking about the original centreline rule after the 1979 Prelim.

You're talking about my error with the 10m ruck circle.

Anyone remember the centre DIAMOND (1971-2-3-ish?? or 67-ish?? I've got both in my mind) At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if we had something to do with THAT........

Recalled Centre Bounces - vs Collingwood #2 (2008)
Knee jerk 3. On a glorious Friday night at the 'G, with the game in the balance and the final few seconds ticking away, a wayward centre-bounce skewed away from the ruckmen, straight in the arms of Simmo who was doing his best impression of an express train through the middle. Result - a goal, a Collingwoood loss in a close one, lots of screaming in the next few days from Eddie and suddenly any bounce going out of the 10m ruck circle is SUPPOSED to be recalled. Seems to not be a lot against us, or is it just me?
I hate people who nit-pick the most minor of details, so there's a taste of bile in my mouth as I write this, but it was a Saturday night. I remember it well as I skipped out on a bucks for a few hours to get to The G, then returned to the bucks to give it to the man of honour's brother (a bandwagon Collingwood supporter crowing that 2008 was their year after the prelim loss in 2007) from about midnight to 3am. He wouldn't come near me at the wedding the next week.

Excellent write up mate. I could be wrong here, but didn't Gary Rohan call SEN under an alias to defend Thomas after the leg break in Thomas Rule #1?

It is not a rule but something else that North is responsible for, being the creation of the Gold Coast Suns. So pissed off were the AFL that we never moved there in 2007, that they decided to create the Suns, give them all the good young players in the draft and then for good measure a year later create GWS. Take that North Melbourne, we will make sure you never flourish.

I hate people who nit-pick the most minor of details, so there's a taste of bile in my mouth as I write this, but it was a Saturday night. I remember it well as I skipped out on a bucks for a few hours to get to The G, then returned to the bucks to give it to the man of honour's brother (a bandwagon Collingwood supporter crowing that 2008 was their year after the prelim loss in 2007) from about midnight to 3am. He wouldn't come near me at the wedding the next week.

Excellent write up mate. I could be wrong here, but didn't Gary Rohan call SEN under an alias to defend Thomas after the leg break in Thomas Rule #1?
Spit the bile out - not a problem. Fixed and acknowledged! :):thumbsu:

2012/3 - Separation of rucks at stoppages until the ball leaves he umpires hands.

A reaction to the ridiculous Cox V Goldy game where Cox buried his head into Goldy and milked frees for too high without even bothering to look at the ball from the boundary throw in. Scott invited the umpires to training post match to help their rucks understand what the frees where paid for.

Mclntosh ? Cox got 4 free kicks for sticking his neck in Hamish's armpit as he had them up to contest boundary throw ins.

Anyone remember the centre DIAMOND (1971-2-3-ish?? or 67-ish?? I've got both in my mind) At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if we had something to do with THAT........
I know he is. He didn't see your original post that included the circles, I.e. The post mine was referencing, so he thought I was referring to the centreline rule. I was clearing that up.

2012/3 - Separation of rucks at stoppages until the ball leaves he umpires hands.

A reaction to the ridiculous Cox V Goldy game where Cox buried his head into Goldy and milked frees for too high without even bothering to look at the ball from the boundary throw in. Scott invited the umpires to training post match to help their rucks understand what the frees where paid for.

Ah yes, causing scottywiper to go on one of his Coxtopus rants post game.

Fifty metre penalty awarded to Shannon Grant...on the 50....umpire marches back 50 towards North goal. Stops 15 metres out from goal line!

Andrew Swallow this year vs Bulldogs......10 metres from throw in spot....penalised because his opponent who he has chosen to block is the Bulldogs 'ruckman' according to one umpire but not the other. Free kick Bulldogs.

The Interchange Rule - vs COLA (2008)

Unforgettable game.

And afterwards I impressed my Dad no end by introducing him to the Captain of the club who knew me by name. My Dad's jaw nearly hit the floor. :D

Simmo told me the next time I met him that it was refreshing to chat to someone who only wanted to talk about his junior days at Macleod-Rosanna rather than pick apart the game they'd just drawn in detail....... which was what *I* wanted to talk about!!

Fifty metre penalty awarded to Shannon Grant...on the 50....umpire marches back 50 towards North goal. Stops 15 metres out from goal line!

I was down that end when the 50 was paid. I remember saying to my brother "he should be on the goal line."Brother said Öh well shouldn't matter anyway."Still remember the "thwack"sound as it cannoned into the goal post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was down that end when the 50 was paid. I remember saying to my brother "he should be on the goal line."Brother said Öh well shouldn't matter anyway."Still remember the "thwack"sound as it cannoned into the goal post.

Was the beginning of getting my brain-washed daughter to the footy on a regular basis.

We met Kasey Green and Goldy before he'd played a senior game. She got to hold the 77 Premiership Cup and I introduced her to players from the 70's as best as I could, since I was starry-eyed myself.

We were up on Level 2, right behind that goal.

She has NEVER gotten over it..........

Was the beginning of getting my brain-washed daughter to the footy on a regular basis.

We met Kasey Green and Goldy before he'd played a senior game. She got to hold the 77 Premiership Cup and I introduced her to players from the 70's as best as I could, since I was starry-eyed myself.

We were up on Level 2, right behind that goal.

She has NEVER gotten over it..........
I missed the last quarter because the baby was crying too much, I had to take him home.

But guys, it was sooooo long ago. You'd really have to make an effort to remember the distant details and how it felt, through the fog of memory.

Oh, and Melbourne last beat North the year before that.

Yes I do remember the Diamond. What a ridiculous idea that was and how stupid it looked.

Look for the handball to be banned after Cunners uses it exquisitely to set up goals to running players repeatedly on his way to a Norm Smith this year.

#notactuallyjoking

Actually... The banning of the handball is being pioneered over at western. I'm going by the observation that they rack about 15 throws for every legitimate handball.

From comments in the Commentary and Media thread, the suggestion was that this was worthy of a thread of it's own.

Rule changes attributed to North Melbourne

I'll put them in order as best as I can from memory. Where I've put in a (?) I'm asking for help/clarification on dates.

Ten-Year Rule - 1972-3 off season
We saw it coming, voted against it and pounced, shocking the crap out of every other club. Got changed damn quick.

Centreline Rule - vs Collingwood #1
Classic knee-jerk reaction (1) to just one game. Peter Moore's only chance to beat Dempsey in the '79 Prelim was to tangle him up all damn day. The VFL admin thought it was a poor look for the game and from 1980 onwards the ruckmen have been separated by a line across the middle.

Bump #1 - Pickett vs Krummel (1999)
Knee-jerk 2. Out at a reduced size Waverley. In a direct contest for the ball our moving slab of granite cleaned up Krummel with one of the best bumps you will honestly EVER see. The fact that he took one step past the ball to meet the unsuspecting Krummel had everyone up in arms. This was tweak number one to bumping - that you couldn't go past the ball. (I'm vague on this one. I know they changed it but not 100% sure on detail - feel free to help, anyone?!)

Recalled Centre Bounces - vs Collingwood #2 (2008)
Knee jerk 3. On a glorious Saturday night at the 'G, with the game in the balance and the final few seconds ticking away, a wayward centre-bounce skewed away from the ruckmen, straight in the arms of Simmo who was doing his best impression of an express train through the middle. Result - a goal, a Collingwoood loss in a close one, lots of screaming in the next few days from Eddie and suddenly any bounce going out of the 10m ruck circle is SUPPOSED to be recalled. Seems to not be a lot against us, or is it just me?

The Interchange Rule - vs COLA (2008)
Knee jerk 4. A team that plays an entire team press puts an extra man on (yes 19 men on!!) while we are kicking out in the dying stages of a close game. But apparently he went to their backline and had no effect on play, according to the AFL (Despite the fact that which player it was changed three times in the analysis). Bollocks. So the Swans steal a draw, but the world blames Simpson for not calling for a player count, showing their ignoance of the rules becuase it would have cost us the match. Result, a Post-It note farce for the interchange stewards for the rest of the season whie the AFL seriously panicked trying to write rules on-the-run.

Sliding Rule - Thomas Rule #1 - vs Sydney (2012)
Hate this one. Pure accident but yet another knee-jerk (5) reaction by the AFL. Thomas slides in to get the ball in the wet and cleans up Gary Rohan, snapping his leg above the ankle. By the time the press had finished with him you'd think he'd launched at Rohan on purpose Contana-into-crowd-style. Goodes did it consistely for years, wet or dry, but this became the first 'Lindsay Thomas Rule' to the world. Another example of AFL pets getting away with things for years until a North player is involved and rules change. Hard judge on this as it takes away the very nature of players getting in at the ball.

Concussion - Lachie Hanson vs Bombers (2012)
Gone on for years, but when North's involved...... sound familiar?? Yes it's now protecting players, but Caro went damn hard trying to get North staff and players into the s**t over this. What didn't help was that no one was really sure if Lachie was any better or worse, but he DID seem to play better afterward on the night.

Bump #2 - Thomas Rule #2 - vs Collingwood #3 -Rnd 1, 2013
Kneee jerk 6. The beginning to the Thomas Media Crucifixion. Running towards the boundary, again in a direct contest for the ball, Thomas changes direction to shepard and cleans up some lumbering Magpie hack beautifully. But oh my god they clashed heads! Media screams blue murder at Thomas and they change the rules again. The nextt to be known as the 'Lindsay Thomas Rule'.

Ducking Rule - Thomas Rule # 3 - 2015 -> 2016 (?)
Despite the entire Selwood Family tree milking this for years, and the ENTIRE AFL world knowing it, this gets changed after Lindsay gets some clutch goals a few weeks in a row from high frees. Admittedly he didn't do himself any favours for awhile there and despite every AFL fan knowing that the Geelong captain and his brother were the biggest instigators, this becomes the third 'Lindsay Thomas Rule' in the media.

Week off before finals 2015 -> 2016
Fremantle did it the year before and it was regarded as smart player mamangement. We do it the next year and apparently it's downright cheating. So thanks to us, the finals format (along with the entire season's effort working up to it) gets turned on it's head. The Bulldogs have pinched every idea we've ever had, they should be thanking us for this one too.

The Coutndown Clock - no longer in the final 2 minutes
Knee-jerk 7. In the time-old tradition of the AFL writing rules ot fix rules they'd written to fix another problem, Mason Wood, with North less than a goal ahead of the Saints, has the ball on the boundary shooting for goal. The countdown clock starts at 30 seconds, but the runner gets in his ear telling him there's only 20 seconds to go. What riled the world, and the Saints' supporters SPRINTING down the steps to scream over the fence at him, is that he didn't even TRY to hide the fact that he was waiting for the time to just tick itself away. I probably would've been the same if the shoe was on the other foot, but watching St.Kilda supporters still tearing their hair out and popping veins, LONG after Wood had calmly slotted through the goal after the siren was......... just damn funny..... no other description comes close. Result - if it's close and someone has a shot and the clock's not there, you know it's time to start biting your fingernails. Hmmmmm....... maybe this one has finally produced a good result through shear luck of stuff-ups.

Jumper/Gut Punches - 2017
Knee-jerk 8. Pick a player, any player and you'll find one that's done a jumper punch of some sort over the journey. The stars have always gotten away with it. So when you take on a bunch of wanna-be tough guys who can't hack the heat, EVERY touch gets magnified. The media were gleefully replaying Ben "David-Carradine" Cunnington's one-inch jab into the mashmallow-soft Vince, counting the weeks he would get. Robbo compared it to one-punch death's outside nightclubs, and then when Ben got off compared the injustice of the Essendon drugs scandal to Cunnington only gettign a fine. Hysterical would be an extremely mild word for the last few days media coverage. Ridiculous is another........

That's from memory and addtions from the following so far:
Mcarchery
domiroo
koshari
MaccaRoo
SonofSamsquanch
Alpine17
La Flama Blanca
Lavy_Panther
jimandphilbadge

Many thanks, and apologies to anyone I've missed.

And I HAVE to include this honourable mention from Arden in the Commentary thread:

First team forced into a clash guernsey

View attachment 373939

Bravo! Was waiting for this.

What a read.

Frekn conspiracy if you ask me.

The one that always stood out for me was Glenn Archer being rubbed out for a week because he merely attempted to strike Jason Heatley in 1997!
All these years later, it still irks me that Arch didn't do the job properly
Seriously though, has anyone else been suspended under this obscure charge?

The one that always stood out for me was Glenn Archer being rubbed out for a week because he merely attempted to strike Jason Heatley in 1997!
All these years later, it still irks me that Arch didn't do the job properly
Seriously though, has anyone else been suspended under this obscure charge?
Yeah, heaps. Alistair Lynch got four (I think for his GF scrap), Rod Jameson got three weeks in 97, Steven Baker got a couple of weeks in 2006, many more going back over the decades. Even Ron Barassi Sr missed weeks for attempted striking.

Yeah, heaps. Alistair Lynch got four (I think for his GF scrap), Rod Jameson got three weeks in 97, Steven Baker got a couple of weeks in 2006, many more going back over the decades. Even Ron Barassi Sr missed weeks for attempted striking.

The important thing is how they were graded and did anyone miss game time from them attempted strikes??!!

What a lolworthy state the AFL has gotten us into. Instead of grown men watching incidents and penalising sufficiently(the act+outcome), we have cardboard cut outs looking at a list like they are selecting finishes for a kitchen lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back