Stuff you just realised, that made you feel stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought I'd make a thread, because we do this all the time.
Figured we could laugh at each others stupidity.

I'll start.

I just realized that the Commonwealth Bank logo is the southern cross with the dots connected.
southerncross.jpg

You go!

I'll start.

I just realized that the Commonwealth Bank logo is the southern cross with the dots connected.
southerncross.jpg

You go!

Take a stab at how much that logo cost. Keep in mind that it was the 80s when this was done.

Take a stab at how much that logo cost. Keep in mind that it was the 80s when this was done.

I assume thousands!?
There's obviously a lot of money in advertising, I guess simple is good!

I only figured it out because I started to doodle on a southern cross teleco letter when I was on the phone.

40mill. Actually. Wasn't just the logo, but the entire corporate identity.
Wow. Didn't expect that!

I guess image means a tonne to a company, so fair enough.

Anyway to go with the actual tone of the thread I have one that dates back to my childhood, which is a long time ago as I'm born in the same year as Fletch.

I used to love Sherlock Holmes books. I grew up thinking that he relied upon Dr Watson. Every time he asked Watson for his input he got it right ... Because when you agree with what someone says you reply "on the contrary" .... Don't you?

I remember when I was a kid, there used to be 1 cent coins, they were phasing out when I was in grade 3ish.
My mum gave me lunch money, bought my pizza pocket, all was good in the world.
I remember throwing a 1c coin in the trash, as if to say to my friends "Yeah, I can afford a pizza pocket and throw out the change, what of it?"
That night, Mum had the news on, "The Australian dollar has gone down 1 cent". I thought "*, they're onto me!?" I cried my brains out, confessing it to my Mum what I'd done with that 1c coin thinking the police were going to take me to prison, because this terrible child had crashed the economy.
I still remember her laughing her head off and calling all her friends to tell them how "cute" it was.
Bitch.

I'll start.

southerncross.jpg

You go!
ce9c949d6c73dbfb889f6036bac022dd.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember when I was a kid, there used to be 1 cent coins, they were phasing out when I was in grade 3ish.
My mum gave me lunch money, bought my pizza pocket, all was good in the world.
I remember throwing a 1c coin in the trash, as if to say to my friends "Yeah, I can afford a pizza pocket and throw out the change, what of it?"
That night, Mum had the news on, "The Australian dollar has gone down 1 cent". I thought "****, they're onto me!?" I cried my brains out, confessing it to my Mum what I'd done with that 1c coin thinking the police were going to take me to prison, because this terrible child had crashed the economy.
I still remember her laughing her head off and calling all her friends to tell them how "cute" it was.
Bitch.

You economic terrorist campaigner.

I'm so politics naive, that I thought there was somebody called "Erica Betts", turns out it's a bloke called "Eric Abetz".

I'm so politics naive, that I thought there was somebody called "Erica Betts", turns out it's a bloke called "Eric Abetz".
I thought that too, his parents deserve to be shot. Names starting with "E" that wouldn't make people think he's a girl:

Ethan, Edward, Earl, Easton, Edgar, Edison, Edmund, Eduardo, Edwin, Elgin, Elias, Elijah, Elliott (and it's variations), Ellis, Ellison, Elvin, Emmannuel, Eugene, Ezekial, and plenty of others. One's that make people think he's a girl:

Eric.

I thought that too, his parents deserve to be shot. Names starting with "E" that wouldn't make people think he's a girl:

Ethan, Edward, Earl, Easton, Edgar, Edison, Edmund, Eduardo, Edwin, Elgin, Elias, Elijah, Elliott (and it's variations), Ellis, Ellison, Elvin, Emmannuel, Eugene, Ezekial, and plenty of others. One's that make people think he's a girl:

Eric.

You sure about that mate? Looks like you deserve to be shot too. Unlucky.

You sure about that mate? Looks like you deserve to be shot too. Unlucky.
Pronunciation. The "win" in Edwin is generally harder than Edwina, like "Ed-wihn" rather than "Ed-wee-na" whereas Eric and Erica both have the harder sound.

Thought Chaos was pronounced Chows.

One day in Year 4, I was asked to read a passage out loud in class that included that word. Was very embarrassing. Especially because I didn't know why everyone was laughing, including the teacher , for a good 30 seconds, when the kid next to me mercifully explained.

Not me, but my mum.

I'll never forget the night at the tea table where I was carrying on like a bit of a goose and my sister said to me "you're such a w***er". Before my dad could tell her off for speaking like that at the tea table, mum pipes up with "what's a w***er?".

We laughed quite hard with mum sitting there with a dumb grin saying "what, what's so funny?". I then said there's 2 meanings, 1 of which equates to idiot, the other <insert my sister's name> will explain to you.

EDIT: Wow, what a touchy swear filter. The word used rhymes with "anchor"

Also I was raised a good born again christian. Unlike other forms of christianity we actually read the bible!! So I grew up being anti anti-Semitic. At school when you had a few lollies left you would throw them into the air and exclaim "Jew jump". I had no idea that Jewish people were sposed to be tight-arses or whatever so I never made the connection. In fact I thought we were saying "jube jump" as jubes are lollies.

Oh the shame I felt when I figured it out one day, many years after that was no longer part of my life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back