Stuff you wish the coaches would try...

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just defending, we can play our forwards all in the goal square and they will watch their defenders go up the ground
It's not defending when we are on attack and results again and again in either no one in the forward line or one small forward like Ballers or Walters against two or three defenders all taller.

So sick of the flooding debate.

Every team in the AFL floods at times within games. If you have the AFL app, watch any game and turn on the Live Tracking and you will see plenty of times where all their (other team's) players are in the back half. Melbourne smashed us and still had all 18 of their players in our forward half at times - the commentators even mentioned it.

When do teams not flood? When they don't need to. How do you not need to flood? You turn the ball over (or at least force a stoppage) before it gets trapped deep in your d50. When you intercept the ball either at half forward (from f50 pressure) or half back then you will have a bunch players in front of the ball because they all haven't run back yet. You rebound ****ing fast - like the good teams do against us when we regularly turn it over. That's really why the good teams look like they hold better structure and don't flood as often imo. If the ball gets stuck in their d50 they aren't spread all over the field like magnets on a board I assure you.

I hate seeing us having to crowd our back line to defend as much as anyone but I understand why it happens. The solution really isn't AusKick, keep x players in every zone. We need to put more and better coordinated pressure upfield (and tweaking the game strategy may be part of that) to force turnovers and that way we can keep more structure. It's what we did earlier in the season against Essendon and the Dogs. In those two games (watching live) I thought our structure was exceptional. It's easier said than done, especially with a young side.

It's not defending when we are on attack and results again and again in either no one in the forward line or one small forward like Ballers or Walters against two or three defenders all taller.
If there is an online tool that let's you program moving objects with their speed, direction and an area of influence I will make a model that shows how far off their men a defender can play relative to how far away the ball is, effectively how much ground they can protect.

That should show why the defenders do it and why it wouldn't matter if we have a guy standing inside fifty by himself for one of our breaks from half back.

Every team in the AFL floods at times within games. If you have the AFL app, watch any game and turn on the Live Tracking and you will see plenty of times where all their (other team's) players are in the back half. Melbourne smashed us and still had all 18 of their players in our forward half at times - the commentators even mentioned it.

When do teams not flood? When they don't need to. How do you not need to flood? You turn the ball over (or at least force a stoppage) before it gets trapped deep in your d50. When you intercept the ball either at half forward (from f50 pressure) or half back then you will have a bunch players in front of the ball because they all haven't run back yet. You rebound ****ing fast - like the good teams do against us when we regularly turn it over. That's really why the good teams look like they hold better structure and don't flood as often imo. If the ball gets stuck in their d50 they aren't spread all over the field like magnets on a board I assure you.

I hate seeing us having to crowd our back line to defend as much as anyone but I understand why it happens. The solution really isn't AusKick, keep x players in every zone. We need to put more and better coordinated pressure upfield (and tweaking the game strategy may be part of that) to force turnovers and that way we can keep more structure. It's what we did earlier in the season against Essendon and the Dogs. In those two games (watching live) I thought our structure was exceptional. It's easier said than done, especially with a young side.
Well tweaking maybe means we should be playing a half field press switching to man, not a full field press which is harder to play with our players and leaves our forwards out of the forward line and no targets on offense.

This means only put the press on in the forward 50 or to half way. If it gets there or past half, have to go man or have one extra back. Having 17 or 18 in the defensive 50 is not stopping opposition scoring and with Peel V Subiaco and the last two Freo games stops us scoring and any meaningful play.

Exactly this.....case in point was the West coast/GWS game...often players (both sides) had to literally stop and circle back waiting for other players to move ahead of the play as there was no one ahead when they got the got the ball.
The way people go on you would think that Freo is the only team that does it!

- Do the exact opposite of our current setup and load the forward line with 7 players.
- Play on at all costs, attack and let the boys play the game they did on Friday arvos chock-full of No-Doze and Red Bull.
- Blakely and SHill permanently in midfield.
- Roll the dice with Bennell, even if his legs roll with it.
- Neale to spend 50/50 in forward.

Put some thought into uncontested play. How to create space, how to penetrate the zone, how to time leads, how to kick to advantage, how the kicker can influence where the target leads to. Not just in our forward 50 but in our midfield too.

To summarise, learn to play football better.

I still have a dream, a dream deeply rooted in great forward 50 entries – one great forward entry at a time, this forward line will lead up and live up to its scoring potential, "We hold these entries to be self evident: that all forward entries aren't created equal." I have a dream...

freo84 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back