Stupid AFL questions you wouldn't mind knowing the answers to?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve wondered for the last decade why they have changed from a count up clock to a count down clock?

I hate seeing the signage on the boundary counting down the seconds for all the players to see at the end of a close game.

Is there a reason they changed this? Did games used to always be a countdown clock?

It just adds so much atmosphere in close games not knowing when the game will actually end rather than watching the seconds tick past.

I’ve wondered for the last decade why they have changed from a count up clock to a count down clock?

I hate seeing the signage on the boundary counting down the seconds for all the players to see at the end of a close game.

Is there a reason they changed this? Did games used to always be a countdown clock?

It just adds so much atmosphere in close games not knowing when the game will actually end rather than watching the seconds tick past.
Never seen a countdown clock at a game.

Never seen a countdown clock at a game.

They had it last night and lots of games I see televised. Along the digital screens along the boundary they have a clock with the exact time remaining and counting down. Don’t know how long it’s up for or how often or just certain grounds but I hate seeing it.

Such as the below. Seems to be more sponsorship once again.

3CB4DC51-8044-49A7-80D7-9AB535FCC815.jpeg

They had it last night and lots of games I see televised. Along the digital screens along the boundary they have a clock with the exact time remaining and counting down. Don’t know how long it’s up for or how often or just certain grounds but I hate seeing it.

Such as the below. Seems to be more sponsorship once again.

View attachment 1431463
Bunch of tissots

If a defending player spoils a ball after the siren into an unaware opposition player, and it goes through, does the score count? The rule as I understand it is the offending team can't deliberately help the ball

It was always count-up. Even on TV until some time in, I think, the late 1990s. Count-up is so much better. I didn't realise they had changed it games, or some games butt I'm not surprised. Once it became available to anyone except the time-keepers it was usually ruined by someone on the crowd saying how long was left anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a stupid rule designed to stop someone breaking there back which i've never seen happen in real life and appears to be a highly unlikely theoretical risk.

So the common opinion seems to be that it's a s**t outdated rule that gets taken advantage of in much the same way as ducking the head. Ok, cool. Wanted to make sure I understood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back