Stupid AFL questions you wouldn't mind knowing the answers to?

V_23

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
What are some small or insignificant things you've wanted to know about the AFL but either never got the chance to ask, or felt too dumb doing so?

I'll start with, are teams actually obligated (contractually or otherwise) to sing the song after a win? If a team won a match, but didn't sing their song in the rooms, would the AFL sanction them, either privately or publicly?

What are your 'stupid' questions?

Also, inb4 troll questions such as:

"Will Essendon win a final in my lifetime?"
"Is Jason Castagna actually a potato?"
"Does Dodo really sleep nude in an oxygen tent which he believes gives him sexual powers?"

V_23

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
How honest are players when it comes to a touched behind?
Would some guys appeal for touched, even if they hadn't?

That is my "stupid" question.
I'm sure it varies player to player. Annoys me so much when they claim touched while being nowhere near it. Should honestly be treated the same as staging for frees as they're both unsportsmanlike.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
See Darren Milburn's sook to the umpire in the 2009 GF for your answer to that one.

Might've been right on half-time??
Yeah was on the half-time siren. Cost us one of those 'double-goals' that were all the rage back then, but evened things up after Hawkins was awarded a goal a few minutes earlier after slamming the ball into the post from 5 metres out. :drunk:

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah was on the half-time siren. Cost us one of those 'double-goals' that were all the rage back then, but evened things up after Hawkins was awarded a goal a few minutes earlier after slamming the ball into the post from 5 metres out. :drunk:
I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you suggesting Milburn touched it? My recollection is that he was a mile from it, but had a whinge anyway. Happy to be corrected on that one though.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you suggesting Milburn touched it? My recollection is that he was a mile from it, but had a whinge anyway. Happy to be corrected on that one though.
Nah I think he missed it then went on a tirade against the umpire and gave up another goal for 'demonstrative abuse'. :straining:

What are some small or insignificant things you've wanted to know about the AFL but either never got the chance to ask, or felt too dumb doing so?

I'll start with, are teams actually obligated (contractually or otherwise) to sing the song after a win? If a team won a match, but didn't sing their song in the rooms, would the AFL sanction them, either privately or publicly?
i believe essendon in 2000 / 2001 didnt sing the song after some wins and no penalty was applied

so i would guess they arent obligated unless there has been a change since then

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
They watch a lot of footy as part of their job, maybe? 🤷‍♂️

Don't we all on here?

Should be reserved for ex-players only. Or (in the case of the Norm Smith) be exclusively decided by a panel of ex-winners of the Norm and the Gary Ayres.

Sep 21, 2009
Melbs
AFL Club
Essendon
i believe essendon in 2000 / 2001 didnt sing the song after some wins and no penalty was applied

so i would guess they arent obligated unless there has been a change since then
They didn’t sing the song at all in 2000. They agreed not to sing the song until they won the premiership. They finally sang it after the Grand Final.

There’s probably something in the broadcast agreement that wouldn’t allow that now. Or at least the broadcasters would whinge if it didn’t happen.

V_23

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Why does the goal umpire hit his chest when it’s a behind and not when it’s touched through?
Maybe so he only has to do one motion instead of two, which may occasionally confuse spectators/statisticians.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Why does the goal umpire hit his chest when it’s a behind and not when it’s touched through?
Good one.

Why do they even hit their chest in the first place? I mean, pointing one finger instead of two is what indicates it's a behind and not a goal. It's like if the umpire hit his chest with both hands to indicate it's a goal and then did the goal signal anyway. There's no point.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Doesn't make sense that you can get called play on when you're out of bounds, but still get a chance to dispose of the ball....

And how come sometimes when you get tackled near the boundary line and go over, its sometimes holding the ball and sometimes no call as its paid out of bounds

Back