Stupid AFL questions you wouldn't mind knowing the answers to?

V_23

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Doesn't make sense that you can get called play on when you're out of bounds, but still get a chance to dispose of the ball....

And how come sometimes when you get tackled near the boundary line and go over, its sometimes holding the ball and sometimes no call as its paid out of bounds
The first one's just a bit of a quirk. As long as you stay on your mark, and don't change direction, they let it slide.

The second point is purely up to the umpire's discretion. If they've had prior opportunity and fall over the boundary, as they're being tackled, I'd prefer if that was paid 'holding the ball'.

Don't we all on here?

Should be reserved for ex-players only. Or (in the case of the Norm Smith) be exclusively decided by a panel of ex-winners of the Norm and the Gary Ayres.

Kind of agree, but would this reduce the number of times the winner is 'wrong?'

Ex. I thought Tom Boyd was easily BOG in 2016, but the people who gave Johannisen the 3 votes were Voss and Brad Johnson.

Why does having a journalism degree mean you are qualified to vote on official AFL awards such as the Norm Smith medal?

Agree, each year it should be based on a 5 man panel of coaches and past norm smith winners IMO

TheBigHorne

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2022
Don't ask me about my username
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles, 76ers, Phillies
The first one's just a bit of a quirk. As long as you stay on your mark, and don't change direction, they let it slide.

The second point is purely up to the umpire's discretion. If they've had prior opportunity and fall over the boundary, as they're being tackled, I'd prefer if that was paid 'holding the ball'.
I've seen more of these recently paid HTB and I like it

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Why does having a journalism degree mean you are qualified to vote on official AFL awards such as the Norm Smith medal?

They're actually not journalists - or not all journalists. They're media people, and so includes special commentators, who are generally ex players etc.

It's a hangover from decades back when all the media bodies would do their own season awards (some still do).

Newspapers would name best players or give votes after games. So would radio stations and TV broadcasters.

I guess they thought that all these outlets are used to doing best on ground votes anyway, let's pool all their votes and we should come up with a good consensus.

The only other people who judged best of ground awards were the umpires (the Brownlow), and they didn't do them in finals anyway. Or the club B&F, which obviously wouldn't work.

Makes sense really.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How honest are players when it comes to a touched behind?
Would some guys appeal for touched, even if they hadn't?

That is my "stupid" question.
Mitch Robinson tried to claim he touched this one in last year's semi final despite being about a foot away from the ball (and obviously forgetting there's a video replay) so from that at least we know he isn't honest about it.

1655881820479.png

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Food critics aren't usually trained chefs.

Movie critics aren't usually filmmakers themselves.

Etc.

The difference being that a chef or a movie director is literally trying to impress people with their products. They're trying to impress people just like the critics. Punters from the street that will eat their food or pay 20 bucks to watch their movie.

In that sense, the opinion of the critic is relevant and valid.

But a player is not trying to impress the average punter off the street.

A player's job is to do what his coach asks him to do. The footy journo has no ******* clue what that is.

Same as how umpires wouldn't have a clue.

Ati Tude

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Good one.

Why do they even hit their chest in the first place? I mean, pointing one finger instead of two is what indicates it's a behind and not a goal. It's like if the umpire hit his chest with both hands to indicate it's a goal and then did the goal signal anyway. There's no point.
I believe it was to give a quick signal to the other umpires as to what the score was to help them get a head start on what position they need to be in for the next phase of play. And for example, if they dont touch their chest, that is indicating it is a goal and so the boundary umps have to get the ball to take it back to the centre etc.

Doesn't make sense that you can get called play on when you're out of bounds, but still get a chance to dispose of the ball....

I've often thought this, especially given how strict they are with the man on the mark getting pinged for even taking one step.

V_23

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Not AFL but can someone explain the percentage for the SANFL ladder?

AFL = Points for divided by points against, multiplied by 100

SANFL = Points for divided by (points for + points against), multiplied by 100

Example:

Team has scored 580 points for the season and conceded 476 points.

AFL: 580/476 x 100 = 121.85%

SANFL: 580/(580+476) x 100 = 54.92%

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
AFL = Points for divided by points against, multiplied by 100

SANFL = Points for divided by (points for + points against), multiplied by 100

Example:

Team has scored 580 points for the season and conceded 476 points.

AFL: 580/476 x 100 = 121.85%

SANFL: 580/(580+476) x 100 = 54.92%
Yep.
AFL : points scored as a percentage of points conceded
SANFL : points scored as a percentage of total points (both sides combined) in the matches a team has played

SANFL version has the advantage of making the percentage a score out of 100 as a maximum, which is how many people think of percentages. Both are equally valid, IMO.

Back