Gym & Misc Stupid theories you've heard

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a mate who goes to the gym to lift weights regularly (~4 times a week) but refuses to go for runs or do any cardio because he is adamant that you "lose muscle" when you run. I tried explaining to him that going for a 20 minute jog will only call upon your body's glycogen stores (and burn fat if you are working at around 65-75% MHR) but he refuses to believe this. I then told him that you only use up protein (breakdown of muscle I think?) in extreme situations like starvation or ultra-marathons and then he says "BAM I knew I was right".... some people just don't understand that a 20 minute jog/run cannot be compared to an ultra-marathon or starvation.

Any reference to "I just want my muscles to be toned" is hilarious.

Was having an argument the other day with a girl on Facebook who posted a status saying "I want to get toned up around my stomach how do I do that?". Some people posted some stuff about cardio and diet tips but she just replied with "no, I don't want to lose weight, I just want to be toned".

Drinking green tea makes you lose weight.
Pot is a good bulking tool because getting the munchies makes you eat more.
You can't get big unless you have 487 different variations of chest exercises
If I deadlift I will look too thick around the middle
(Females) I wont do weights because I don't want look like a man

Pot is good for mind-muscle connection though, srs.

Problem is fatigue kicks in pretty damn quick.

What are some of the stupidest, most uninformed things that you've heard people say regarding the gym/training? 'Broscience' if you will, theories past around the gym with no scientific evidence whatsoever.

I've heard quite a few, mainly from a mate of mine who is very overweight and attends the gym. All he does is legs and shoulders because it "adds testosterone". He constantly looks at the big guys and says "I'm bigger than him, I just don't want definition". Every semi-big looking guy at the gym is on roids according to him.

He told me that only some people can have six pack abs because "it's in your genes".

Training with him a few days ago and he asked me if I was "on the protein". I said yeh I take protein, don't you? His reply was "no way, too many carbs". I asked him why he didn't just buy a zero carb protein powder and he looked at me with a very angry expression before drilling me "But protein IS carbs!"

First two aren't that stupid. Aren't compound exercises like deads & squats known to create a spike in testosterone? Maybe not enough for a pronounced affect, but it's not totally wrong. Also, genetics definitely plays a huge role in body shape. Makes sense that some people would carry more weight around the abs than others, making it harder for them to get a 6 pack.

First two aren't that stupid. Aren't compound exercises like deads & squats known to create a spike in testosterone? Maybe not enough for a pronounced affect, but it's not totally wrong. Also, genetics definitely plays a huge role in body shape. Makes sense that some people would carry more weight around the abs than others, making it harder for them to get a 6 pack.
Some people have to get there bf levels down quiet low to get a sixpack 5-6% while the lucky ones around 8-12% range.But like anything else if you really want something you can get it if you keep trying.

Training earlier this evening, I swear I heard this kid say to his friends "Dont curl the barbell past 90 degrees, itill damage your shoulders and youll probably throw your back out. I know man, because ive done it."

What? What kind of form was he lifting that weight under? The sad thing is, now all of his mates wont curl past 90 degrees. But it is kind of entertaining.

First two aren't that stupid. Aren't compound exercises like deads & squats known to create a spike in testosterone?
Sounds awfully close to the long debunked HGH theory. Lyle McDonald has a few articles about this on his website.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ekon Powerbands or whatever they called increase your weight performance.

I don't have a problem with people saying they want a 'toned' look. I get what they mean - they want to be want low body-fat %, with some muscle mass, but not be huge. It's just that its a... poor word to use, and most people who use it don't understand how to get there. If someone was new to the gym and said they want to look 'toned' and you just scoffed at them, it's the fasted way to turn them off going to the gym at all. Everyone starts somewhere.

Dumbest theory I get is from a mate who is convinced that bulk nutrients products MUST be s**t because they aren't expensive.

1. He doesn't touch the compound lifts. Does leg extensions, leg press, shoulder machines and stuff. I definitely wouldn't rule out the idea that a heavy squat could maybe cause a hormone spike of some sort. Love squats myself.

2. True, but he 100% believes that it is genetically IMPOSSIBLE for him to ever have any sort of abs. Not in his genes.

brb, delaying meals to mess with GH because manipulations of GH within the physiological range is obviously going to make a difference
brb muscle confusion
brb must drink protein and dextrose .1seconds after workout or else it was a waste of time, to emphasis the point i will stroll around the gym and shake my protein shake vigorously
brb i am sore so i must be overtrained
brb eating carbs after a certain time means it is stored as fat lolol
brb spiking insulin, despite maximal protein synthesis being capped at 15-30mU/l of insulin
brb insulin is causing me to defy thermodynamics
brb must drink "green shakes" whatever the hell that is
brb if you eat sugar you gon die!
don't squat/deadlift, too risky!

This is just 10% of what is going on at my gym lol, my gym is full of idiots.

Some well known and successul bodbuilders have subscribed to the theory of muscle confusion over the years. I think the term "muscle confusion' is misused however your not going to keep growing doing the same reps/weights over and over again..a very simple change in weight/reps will keep the hypertrophy going if they wanna term it "muscle confusion" so be it.

Some well known and successul bodbuilders have subscribed to the theory of muscle confusion over the years. I think the term "muscle confusion' is misused however your not going to keep growing doing the same reps/weights over and over again..a very simple change in weight/reps will keep the hypertrophy going if they wanna term it "muscle confusion" so be it.

They also subscribe to tren, danabol, and test etc lol, bodybuilders give the worst advice.
Change in weight/rep (an increase in load) would be progressive overload, muscle confusion is PTs having their clients doing a random set of cable crossovers out of the blue to "confuse the muscles", personally I just have my muscles do algebra.

"Most people don't have time to exercise"

(The average Australian watches 3.5 hours of television a day, before we take into account people who avoid incidental exercise)

This comes from one of the lads I know, when talking about drinking Coke Zero, Pepsi Max etc: "Don't drink those, they make you fat, drink water with a little bit of lemon in it, the acid from the lemon will burn away the fat".

When point out there are essentially 0 calories in those drinks: "So what, there has to be sugar in it, otherwise how else would they get the flavour".

When he finally couldn't convine me he was right: "Well, if you're not going to try the lemon, at least drink cordial in stead, it wont make you put on as much weight".

I've tried my hardest to explain the basics of energy in/out to this kid, but some people are just born to be *ed I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back