Sturt to relocate to Mount Barker?

Aug 7, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
I was chatting to a bloke around the barbie on Australia Day (a friend of a friend) who grew up in Mount Barker. He reckons that the Barkeroos have outgrown the current facilities and a number of stakeholders from a number of interested parties are currently exploring a purpose built new facility adjacent to one of the new estates.

According to this fellow, Sturt is very keen on the idea too, as it's seemingly a way to shore up its financial future by establishing itself in one of the fastest growing areas of the state which also happens to be a well established area it is zoned to.

I can't see both the Barkeroos and Sturt actually sharing a facility, but perhaps the Barkeroos could utilise the facilities from time to time, including big matches against high-drawing opposition. The Hills Football League could also look to host premier games including big finals and the Grand Final, just as the Southern Football League does with South's oval.

I can see plenty of merit for the move, but I struggle to see where the money would come from to build a completely new oval. South Adelaide moved from Panther Park to Noarlunga in the mid 90s, so the concept isn't foreign. However, Noarlunga oval already existed, though, which is the big difference for mine.

Anyway, it was an interesting discussion and I'd be keen to hear if anyone else has heard about this as well?

Jul 27, 2001
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood AdelaideUtd
I was chatting to a bloke around the barbie on Australia Day (a friend of a friend) who grew up in Mount Barker. He reckons that the Barkeroos have outgrown the current facilities and a number of stakeholders from a number of interested parties are currently exploring a purpose built new facility adjacent to one of the new estates.

According to this fellow, Sturt is very keen on the idea too, as it's seemingly a way to shore up its financial future by establishing itself in one of the fastest growing areas of the state which also happens to be a well established area it is zoned to.

I can't see both the Barkeroos and Sturt actually sharing a facility, but perhaps the Barkeroos could utilise the facilities from time to time, including big matches against high-drawing opposition. The Hills Football League could also look to host premier games including big finals and the Grand Final, just as the Southern Football League does with South's oval.

I can see plenty of merit for the move, but I struggle to see where the money would come from to build a completely new oval. South Adelaide moved from Panther Park to Noarlunga in the mid 90s, so the concept isn't foreign. However, Noarlunga oval already existed, though, which is the big difference for mine.

Anyway, it was an interesting discussion and I'd be keen to hear if anyone else has heard about this as well?
I can’t see Sturt moving from Unley Oval given how hard they fought to get back there after their time away from their spiritual home and how much money they’ve invested in their facilities under the grandstand.

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
What Still Crowing said.
This rumour comes up every few years and while I think it was possibly considered when we almost folded I doubt it would be seriously considered now that we’ve just undergone redevelopments, posted a $500k profit and gone back to back recently.

Aug 7, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
If there's a new ground built in Mount Barker, I wonder if Sturt would 'sell' a home game or two and play up there? Kind of like what Melbourne have done up in Darwin - could Sturt benefit potentially from something like this?

If there's a new ground built in Mount Barker, I wonder if Sturt would 'sell' a home game or two and play up there? Kind of like what Melbourne have done up in Darwin - could Sturt benefit potentially from something like this?

Christ it'll be bloody cold in the depths of July up there

1550147048747.png

Aug 7, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
Christ it'll be bloody cold in the depths of July up there

View attachment 619608
Oh yeah, for sure!

I actually lived in Mount Barker for five years myself. It dropped to well below zero on most nights throughout winter, to the point where the reverse cycle heating would go into defrost mode.

I'd have to go outside, take off the extraction fan cover/grille and chip away the ice so the fan would run as the ice would jam it up!

Last edited:

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
silly question for sturt fans...
when is the best / easiest time to grab a sig from players? needing danyle pearces on a jumper
Probably at training. Ring Sue Dewing at the club and ask when is a good time.
Other than that we play Port at Alberton on June 8.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
What Still Crowing said.
This rumour comes up every few years and while I think it was possibly considered when we almost folded I doubt it would be seriously considered now that we’ve just undergone redevelopments, posted a $500k profit and gone back to back recently.
I was surprised Sturt Posted a 500k profit recently. Yes the back to back flags helped.

I remember back in 2014, Richard Tambling played for them that season and Sturt was in financial problems.

3-4 years ago, Glenelg was in financial trouble too. There were rumours they were going under. They were 2 million in debt. They borrowed 2 million a few years ago due to using that money to invest in pokies.

Back