Subi Lions Supporters Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Marquee Subiaco recruit Kyron Hayden will miss the 2023 WAFL season after scans confirmed he had torn his ACL in an innocuous training incident from the weekend.

Austin Robertson Jr has passed away today at the age of 80. Robertson Jr kicked 1,211 goals for Subiaco and is the WAFL's all-time leading goalkicker, having won the Bernie Naylor Medal eight times and leading Subiaco's goalkicking on 12 occasions. He also kicked 60 goals with South Melbourne in the VFL in 1966 and 44 goals playing for Western Australia over 10 matches.

All up, Robertson Jr kicked 1,315 career goals, the fifth highest ever in elite Australian rules football history. Robertson Jr played 279 matches overall (251 with Subiaco, 18 with South Melbourne and 10 for Western Australia) and played in one premiership which was Subiaco's drought breaking 1973 flag before retiring at the end of the 1974 season.

Robertson Jr also had a successful career post football, working for Kerry Packer and had a significant influence in the creation of World Series Cricket (WSC) before spending 30 years managing some of Australia's elite cricketers, including the late Shane Warne. Robertson Jr was then inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame in 2015.

A huge loss for WA football today with Robertson Jr's passing, hopefully we will see him inducted into the Hall of Fame as a Legend at some stage.

Was saddened to hear this. I never saw him play, bit before my time, but read and heard lots about him. Vale Austin Robertson Jnr.

I am in the latter stages of writing a book about the old AFC Night Series from 1979-1986 and need some assistance with some missing records for the section which will include an A-Z list of players who played in the competition.

Can anyone assist with the local club that the following players were recruited from:

Ken Bell 1980 (Northam – Federal or Railways?)
Tony Connolly 1979
Gerry Cotter 1979, 81 (Which Goldfields club?)
Mike Fitzpatrick
Mick Lee 1981 (Which Goldfields NFL club?)
Ken Marshall 1979-81 (Which Geraldton club?)
Alan Rose 1980
Mark Stewart 1979

Last edited:
Mike Fitzpatrick went to Churchlands High School. Try them

I am in the latter stages of writing a book about the old AFC Night Series from 1979-1986 and need some assistance with some missing records for the section which will include an A-Z list of players who played in the competition.

Can anyone assist with the local club that the following players were recruited from:

Ken Bell 1980 (Northam – Federal or Railways?)
Tony Connolly 1979
Gerry Cotter 1979, 81 (Which Goldfields club?)
Mike Fitzpatrick
Mick Lee 1981 (Which Goldfields NFL club?)
Ken Marshall 1979-81 (Which Geraldton club?)
Alan Rose 1980
Mark Stewart 1979
Alan Rose joined Subi from South Fremantle, but I'm unsure of his local club before becoming a Bulldog.
I suspect Mark Stewart joined the Lions from East Perth, given that he played 58 league games for the Royals between 1974 and 1978.
My records indicate that Stewart joined EP from St Kilda, but I'm unsure of his local club before the Saints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back