subtle racist and sexist things you do and think

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
GWS
Thread starter #1
Today I was getting out of my car and went to lock it and at the same time saw a black man near by and then doubly made sure the car was locked. I immediately thought to myself I really shouldn't do that, even though it may have been something subconscious.

In terms of the subtle sexism, sometimes I find myself having positive regard for a woman when she adopts a stereotypical gender based role like staying home with the kids instead of working full time. I guess this what some may call benevolent sexism may encourage a perpetuation of women being household caregivers rather than equal participants in the wider workforce.

What are your subtle acts of racism and sexism?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RedmanWasHere

Rarely in kitchens at parties.
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Brisbane AFLW
Racist.
Every Sudanese person I think are gonna attack me.
Asians may sneakily haggle prices down to suit them.

Sexist.
Questioning women's roles in male dominated sports in particular their positions on sports boards.

Pretty lame stuff.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
GWS
Thread starter #7
Sexist.
Questioning women's roles in male dominated sports in particular their positions on sports boards.
Whenever I see or hear a female commentator talking about footy in the media I say to myself what exactly have you done to qualify to talk about this subject, not bothering to look into what she may actually have done to deserve her position. With males I just don't do this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

radiojake

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
i don't think staring at ladies' tits is sexist...

it can be creepy, disconcerting for the women concerned, can make someone uncomfortable, and certainly not something to make a habit out of (especially if you're not subtle)

but it's not sexist

radiojake

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
does anyone else subscribe to the idea that differentiating between essentialism and things like racism/sexism would be a lot more helpful ?

While they are somewhat related, and can sometimes definately lead into each other, they are not mutally inclusive and I think it's important to define between the two

radiojake

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Essentialism is the set of assumption one makes of someone based on arbritary characteristic (age/gender/race/nationality etc)

To assume an Indian Taxi driver is a cricket fan is essentialist...

But there's no malice inherently in that assumption...

Racism, in my opinion, if you were to then take something like 'All Indians like cricket, and I hate cricket, therefore I hate Indians' (ridiculous example used on purpose)

Battery about to die, continue this tommorow

Top Bottom