subtle racist and sexist things you do and think

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scotland

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
West Coast
Azns love to travel in massive groups, too. They'll try and check in 20 or 30 people at a time.

I got stuck behind a group like this in Amsterdam Schipol and the girl waved me through recognising what was about to unfold.

Bomberboyokay

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
West Ham, New York Rangers
The Beckham brand got to cash-in on what we now know was a temporary period where England and Britain were 'cool' to the rest of the world. He'd still make money playing now as a good looking guy but the Conservatives and Brexit have totally ****** the rest of it.

Bomberboyokay

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
West Ham, New York Rangers
Women's tennis players only get equal pay for a handful of tournaments. Those who think they should take a paycut are mean-spirited or using the whole subject as a vehicle for their shitty, anti-feminist views. Not a coincidence the males who complain about it every year are from the Northern Beaches and the North Shore (Tony Abbott land).

Last edited:

Scotland

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
West Coast
There's a bunch of words where the level of racism varies on context. Wog, Jew, Abo, Paki etc.

'strayans love a good abbreviation. Was completely normal in the 90s to call the touring Pakistan cricket team the Pakis but these days we've caught up with the UK and their meaning so it's no longer used. I've seen people (who live and work with Aboriginal people every day) use the term Abo in a friendly way. I've never heard someone say 'boong' or 'coon' without some kind of mean spirited intent.

Mofra

AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, The Exers
Moderator #911
There's a bunch of words where the level of racism varies on context. Wog, Jew, Abo, Paki etc.

'strayans love a good abbreviation. Was completely normal in the 90s to call the touring Pakistan cricket team the Pakis but these days we've caught up with the UK and their meaning so it's no longer used. I've seen people (who live and work with Aboriginal people every day) use the term Abo in a friendly way. I've never heard someone say 'boong' or 'coon' without some kind of mean spirited intent.
Wog is generally acceptable in Australia, but akin to the 'n' word in other parts of the world (as a reference to golliwogs rather than Mediterraneans).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scotland

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
West Coast
The Beckham brand got to cash-in on what we now know was a temporary period where England and Britain were 'cool' to the rest of the world. He'd still make money playing now as a good looking guy but the Conservatives and Brexit have totally ****** the rest of it.
He also played in the heyday of the English Premier League. In his time at MU the league went from a smattering of foreigners to 30-35% foreigners. These days it's about 70% even with the iffy HGP rules. The 1999 treble winning side had 10 non UK/Ireland players out of a squad of 38. Arsenal having a French manager and a couple of French players was exotic. These days I think they (MU) have about 7 or 8 UK/Ireland players only. The PL was flying, his team was flying, it was cool to be British, he was a gun, he was married to a Spice Girl and all the girls loved him (still do). Talk about hitting the jackpot.

Cruyff14

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
He also played in the heyday of the English Premier League. In his time at MU the league went from a smattering of foreigners to 30-35% foreigners. These days it's about 70% even with the iffy HGP rules. The 1999 treble winning side had 10 non UK/Ireland players out of a squad of 38. Arsenal having a French manager and a couple of French players was exotic. These days I think they (MU) have about 7 or 8 UK/Ireland players only. The PL was flying, his team was flying, it was cool to be British, he was a gun, he was married to a Spice Girl and all the girls loved him (still do). Talk about hitting the jackpot.
The core of the squad was from the UK/Ireland though.

Schmeichel, Stam, Yorke and Blomqvist and to a lesser extent (appearance wise - Solskjaer) the only real players who played a big part who were not British/UK.

edgie

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion

Wierd. I have the opposite experience. Abo is a mean word but boong or coon are used more lightly.

Same with homophobic slurs... Fag is a always a demeaning one, but poof is friendly.

Sent from mTalk

Scotland

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
West Coast
The core of the squad was from the UK/Ireland though.

Schmeichel, Stam, Yorke and Blomqvist and to a lesser extent (appearance wise - Solskjaer) the only real players who played a big part who were not British/UK.
That's the point I was making. It was a British comp and they were the top British team at the time when it was cool to be British. The PL has lost its identity these days. Manchester City is owned by an Emirati conglomerate and has a Spanish manager in charge of a team of players from all over the globe. Chelsea owned by a Russian billionaire and have an Italian doing likewise. It's just an international arms race now.

Beckham would still be a gun and Joe Handsome if he played today but no team gunning for PL/UCL honours is going to field a squad that is 70-80% British any more.

Cruyff14

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Of course not, but football players should be selected on their ability, not nationality. There aren't many English players lighting up the world now. Kane and Sterling aside. Then Rashford and Alli to a lesser extent.

Scotland

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
West Coast
They've created their own problems. The PL is a bit how the NBL/A-League would be if we didn't restrict foreign players as much as we do. There are heaps of non-UK players running around the PL who are no better than their UK counterparts which wasn't the case 15 years ago.

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Devon Shields **** Yes
Wierd. I have the opposite experience. Abo is a mean word but boong or coon are used more lightly.

Same with homophobic slurs... Fag is a always a demeaning one, but poof is friendly.

Sent from mTalk
As far as I'm aware all of those terms are not for use.

Shell

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Geelong
Actually never mind, I read that as in a pool, not in pool. Now I remember.
Geezus was going to say Quiv... PS is a universally used term in pool.

/ok may not be universal. FWIW i hate using the thing, would rather contort my body into unusual positions than ever use it.

Top Bottom