subtle racist and sexist things you do and think

AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LAL-MMA-Victory-CFC-Eagles
Geezus was going to say Quiv... PS is a universally used term in pool.

/ok may not be universal. FWIW i hate using the thing, would rather contort my body into unusual positions than ever use it.
Haha. Yeah we had a pool table when I was growing up (I actually only just threw it out a couple of weeks ago after giving up on re-felting it) and I remember my brother copping it for using it because he was short.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shell

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Geelong
Haha. Yeah we had a pool table when I was growing up (I actually only just threw it out a couple of weeks ago after giving up on re-felting it) and I remember my brother copping it for using it because he was short.
:oops::oops::'(:huh:

Have you ever played on a full size table before? Legit have to use it every second shot, is just pointless really.

Shell

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Geelong
Honestly not sure if I have. Being reasonably tall I don't think it would be too much of an issue though.
Nah trust me, you'd need it, at least some of the time.

Ive played a few games on them- a few with my dad and somehow we managed to at least finish the games. Also on the table at Felt (Hotel Lindrum) each of those game i played on that table we gave up mid way thru.

AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LAL-MMA-Victory-CFC-Eagles
Nah trust me, you'd need it, at least some of the time.

Ive played a few games on them- a few with my dad and somehow we managed to at least finish the games. Also on the table at Felt (Hotel Lindrum) each of those game i played on that table we gave up mid way thru.
Now I am curious to find one and try.

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Devon Shields **** Yes
But what about the poof you put your feet on?
That's actually a pouffe so no problems.
What about the poofter stick you use in pool?
Yeah that's a homophobic slur because the assumption is you're a poofter for needing one. Up to you if you want to use it but I wouldn't (the term not the stick).

Scotland

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
West Coast
I'll call my first generation Sicilian mate a greasy wog but if some Italian bloke comes up to me and introduces himself I'm not going to him a wog. Same as a fat bloke or someone with a receding hairline or anything that people take the piss out of.

Context and familiarity. Offence is taken, not given. People who are familiar say all kinds of horrible shit that they don't say to strangers. If you want to eliminate all words that may offend someone in some circumstance then you're not going be left with much of a vocabulary.

The distinction with familiarity and banter etc. is something like a bunch of white people talking about 'coons' or 'terrorist muzzos' etc. in their absence. A bunch of people saying racist stuff to each other that they are OK with is still racist.

Jobe Watson

Brownlow Medalist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Same with homophobic slurs... Fag is a always a demeaning one, but poof is friendly.
Really? I reckon it's the opposite.

"Poof" is the word your homophobic granddad would use to describe someone he actually thinks is gay - "that ___ is such a bloody poofter". It's a word that people who are genuinely homophobic still use.

Fa***t and its derivatives have been used so extensively on the internet the past 15-20 years that the meaning of the word has been almost completely altered. Of course, saying that word to someone you know is gay and using it as a demeaning insult is still extremely offensive. But when I was a teen that word was just chucked around to describe all manner of things. Like if your mate wanted to hang out with his girlfriend instead of chilling with the boys, you'd say he's "being gay" or "what a fag" even though it's literally the opposite.

Of course, these are words you probably shouldn't use at all unless you're around people who you know won't be offended by them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scotland

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
West Coast
The choice of words you use mostly aren't that important relative to the intention. LG people of LGBTQI fame identify as lesbian or gay. But you can still use the words lesbian and gay in a derogatory manner. So as linguists we're pretty much ****** really.

edgie

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Really? I reckon it's the opposite.

"Poof" is the word your homophobic granddad would use to describe someone he actually thinks is gay - "that ___ is such a bloody poofter". It's a word that people who are genuinely homophobic still use.

Fa***t and its derivatives have been used so extensively on the internet the past 15-20 years that the meaning of the word has been almost completely altered. Of course, saying that word to someone you know is gay and using it as a demeaning insult is still extremely offensive. But when I was a teen that word was just chucked around to describe all manner of things. Like if your mate wanted to hang out with his girlfriend instead of chilling with the boys, you'd say he's "being gay" or "what a fag" even though it's literally the opposite.

Of course, these are words you probably shouldn't use at all unless you're around people who you know won't be offended by them.
My uncle throws around poof like its friendly banter but only ever uses fag in a demeaning way. He sees a dolled up guy like an AFL footballer for example and lets slip 'and they call us the ******s'.

My uncle is homosexual.

Sent from mTalk

AFL Club
Gold Coast
Probably when minorities stopped taking shit I guess.

Society hasn't changed because people had their feelings hurt and cried. It changed because they stood up and said, you know what? **** you.

Is that being precious?

Sent from mTalk
Fair call, but to me at least, it has gone way over the top of late. Being offended is a trend more than an emotion.

AFL Club
Gold Coast
Remember back then ppl didnt have social media to voice their outrage and offence.

Only had talk back radio and maybe the letter to the editor pages, and thats all.
They still have that remarkable human interaction of face to face communication though. I don't see this wide spread social media offence in day to day discourse.
Maybe it's where I live?
Maybe we are being played?

Top Bottom