Competition Suburban Football League 2021 - Preseason Thread - FINAL LOCATION VOTE

Vote for your favourite location in each match to progress

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Suburban Footy is BACK in 2021!

But it's not in Melbourne anymore.

I was absolutely thrilled with the interest and effort that people put in last year. People really embraced the suburban spirit of the competition and I had plenty of resubmits throughout the season to keep things really fresh and interesting.

The format of the competition will remain identical (unless I get a huge influx of entries, in which case there will likely be a 2nd division). A single round robin league season, where entrants will design and submit 1 football uniform for their created club, and submit 2 images, one with coloured shorts for home games and one with white shorts for away games. The twist, again, is that you can completely change everything about your entry apart from location, nickname and colours and resubmit every round.

Why move from Melbourne, you ask? Well there are 2 reasons. Firstly to share the love around a bit. Secondly because of the resubmission feature, which means a lot of people have already submitted a series of designs for their club and might want to do something new. I'm not ruling Melbourne out forever, but i'd at least like to get through the major capitals if this competition continues to run long term.

Where to?

That's what this thread is for. Make your argument for different cities and in a couple of weeks i'll put up a poll to decide. It'll likely be a choice between Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth and Sydney unless someone can convince me that I should include another city.

I'm aiming to have this poll finalised by the end of February, with March then for people to come up with teams and design, and the league kicking off at the beginning of April. It's a bit earlier than last year but i'd rather not clash as hard with Can-Am as we did.

Also feel free to post any feedback or ideas for the competition you might have so it can be improved. I did think about enforcing local brands (or at least fake brands in a local style, like car yards and pubs) for sponsors just to keep things a bit more on theme, but I don't want to infringe on people's creativity too much.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Suburban Footy is BACK in 2021!

But it's not in Melbourne anymore.

I was absolutely thrilled with the interest and effort that people put in last year. People really embraced the suburban spirit of the competition and I had plenty of resubmits throughout the season to keep things really fresh and interesting.

The format of the competition will remain identical (unless I get a huge influx of entries, in which case there will likely be a 2nd division). A single round robin league season, where entrants will design and submit 1 football uniform for their created club, and submit 2 images, one with coloured shorts for home games and one with white shorts for away games. The twist, again, is that you can completely change everything about your entry apart from location, nickname and colours and resubmit every round.

Why move from Melbourne, you ask? Well there are 2 reasons. Firstly to share the love around a bit. Secondly because of the resubmission feature, which means a lot of people have already submitted a series of designs for their club and might want to do something new. I'm not ruling Melbourne out forever, but i'd at least like to get through the major capitals if this competition continues to run long term.

Where to?

That's what this thread is for. Make your argument for different cities and in a couple of weeks i'll put up a poll to decide. It'll likely be a choice between Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth and Sydney unless someone can convince me that I should include another city.

I'm aiming to have this poll finalised by the end of February, with March then for people to come up with teams and design, and the league kicking off at the beginning of April. It's a bit earlier than last year but i'd rather not clash as hard with Can-Am as we did.

Also feel free to post any feedback or ideas for the competition you might have so it can be improved. I did think about enforcing local brands (or at least fake brands in a local style, like car yards and pubs) for sponsors just to keep things a bit more on theme, but I don't want to infringe on people's creativity too much.
What's interesting about this is that the new VFL is still called VFL even if it has the Aspley Hornets (North Brisbane), Lions, Swans etc in it. You could honestly just have it along a coastline if you wanted to mirror the VFL

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
What's interesting about this is that the new VFL is still called VFL even if it has the Aspley Hornets (North Brisbane), Lions, Swans etc in it. You could honestly just have it along a coastline if you wanted to mirror the VFL

I think i'm going for more of an ammo type comp than a state level comp. I'd have the same restriction as last time where a club can't be named after a location where an existing state league or AFL team is based.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC

A strong argument there, but there really is just one choice,

giphy.gif

To be honest a Tassie comp be neat
It would be cool (possibly split into two leagues in Hobart and Launceston), not sure it should be the second iteration of the comp though tbh.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I'd definitely prefer Adelaide for obvious reasons. This thread is really about swaying the Victorian based guys in the right direction 😂

Looks like Perth might lure FT out of retirement, which is a double edged sword because while it's always nice to have the goat participating, goats gonna goat, so he'll immediately be the favourite.

In summary to give yourself a chance at winning vote Adelaide 😂

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
I'd definitely prefer Adelaide for obvious reasons. This thread is really about swaying the Victorian based guys in the right direction 😂

Looks like Perth might lure FT out of retirement, which is a double edged sword because while it's always nice to have the goat participating, goats gonna goat, so he'll immediately be the favourite.

In summary to give yourself a chance at winning vote Sydney 😂

EFA

nah sydney suburbs vibe sucks

Sydney has the widest variety of suburb selections of any city in the country, there is massively different aesthetics that could be chosen within the Sydney basin, so much so that two entries could literally be from next door suburbs and be the complete opposite when it comes to the teams look based purely on the locations history and current culture.

Also Sydney has the largest area and biggest choice of suburbs to select from, so the chance that people would be stepping on each others toes is far less than what Adelaide and Perth could ever offer.

EFA

Sydney has the widest variety of suburb selections of any city in the country, there is massively different aesthetics that could be chosen within the Sydney basin, so much so that two entries could literally be from next door suburbs and be the complete opposite when it comes to the teams look based purely on the locations history and current culture.

Also Sydney has the largest area and biggest choice of suburbs to select from, so the chance that people would be stepping on each others toes is far less than what Adelaide and Perth could ever offer.
I agree that we in Sydney got the best suburbs and a lot of diverse suburbs with cool histories but I was just saying the vibe kinda sucks in some suburbs but in ones like Newtown or mt druit, it's on.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
I agree that we in Sydney got the best suburbs and a lot of diverse suburbs with cool histories but I was just saying the vibe kinda sucks in some suburbs but in ones like Newtown or mt druit, it's on.

Oh of course, but what is a couple of sucky suburbs compared to sucky cities as a whole like Adelaide and Perth.

Back