Success stories of 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Who are your success stories of 2018?

The first two that to mind for me are Jed Anderson and Mason Cox. Both went into the year ridiculed yet they have exceeded every expectation.
I'd say Jed is viewed as a success purely because he's been able to get on the park most weeks and has been good in the contest. Disposal though has been iffy.

I think Maj has been a bigger success for us this year. Was arguably on his last chance to find a spot on the park, and has been good in defense, while also kicking goals when swung forward to help Brown in the absence of Waite and Wood.

McKernan has been a bit of a success story (sadly cut short today with a bad hammy) but he was looking gone for all money but his consistent form since coming into the side has probably earned him another contract and he is a decent chance to start 2019 as our second key forward/relief ruck.

From other clubs you have to like the Mason Cox story. He also seems like a ripper bloke. Seeing him on tv a few times during the player takeover week and on AFL 360 the other day has left me thoroughly impressed with his character beyond just being an improving player.

I'd say Jed is viewed as a success purely because he's been able to get on the park most weeks and has been good in the contest. Disposal though has been iffy.

I think Maj has been a bigger success for us this year. Was arguably on his last chance to find a spot on the park, and has been good in defense, while also kicking goals when swung forward to help Brown in the absence of Waite and Wood.
Good point. I went to the game today and loved how good Majak was. He's gone from a player who barely played to one who most teams would gladly accept inside 50.

I'd love him at West Coast

On a personal level Devon Smith. Pushed from a forward/outside mid spot to a forward pocket in our team, it's pretty clear it's not what he wanted to do. He knuckled down and did what the team wanted, then when his contract offer was reduced he found a team that would let him play his preferred role. He's doing very well and being kept in the manner he wanted to become accustomed to.

Brody Mihocek.

Overlooked multiple times in years worth of drafts. Keeps trying and takes the VFL route then finally gets a chance at an AFL list spot at age 25.

Gets an AFL shot, and has not let the chance go so far. 7 games, 14 goals with 2 4 goal games.

Buckley said it yesterday, he gives it 110% at all times and is the perfect role player down at the club.

Wish him all the success he deserves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Brisbane Lions in general. Were playing well without getting the wins early in the year, as a club they seemed to have turned the corner and will be primed to rise up the ladder in 2019

Paul Ahern for North.

Elsewhere the form of Dayne Beams who was significantly affected by the loss of his dad and his ability to bounce back into just about career best form since reliquinishing the captaincy, Jaeger O`Meara playing more consistent, more dynamic footy and just being a regular on the field, Jayden Short going to another level to keep his spot in Richmonds side, and the Eagles young forwards of Waterman, Ryan and Rioli allowing them to rebuild a forward line while being a top 4 side...

The likes of Mason Cox, Josh Thomas, Shaun McKernan, Jed Anderson, Majak Daw, Tim Kelly, Brody Mihochek are all good nominations too.

Sam Reid (GWS) a worthy addition too. Has had more setbacks than most and the third longest time taken ever to get to 50 games, all the while managing diabetes.

On a personal level Devon Smith. Pushed from a forward/outside mid spot to a forward pocket in our team, it's pretty clear it's not what he wanted to do. He knuckled down and did what the team wanted, then when his contract offer was reduced he found a team that would let him play his preferred role. He's doing very well and being kept in the manner he wanted to become accustomed to.
Was going to mention.
Got back into the midfield and showed his tenaciousness in the role.

Kyle Langford as well. The afl.com.au article this week was a good insight into how professional this kid is.
Was asked by the coaches to try his hand as a midfielder. Gave up an AFL spot to go to the VFL and get it right. Last 6 games have shown what faith and hard work can do.
The club giving him the #4 pre-season just heaped the pressure on to him even further. Many of my fellow supporters made fools of themselves making an issue out of it.
I've been a fan since day 1 and can see a good future coming for him.

Outside of Essendon;
Mihocek and Cox have been impressive. Stepped up as the key forwards Collingwood drastically needed.
Le Cras. Has gone from being retired by the media to being talked up for 2019.
Jaeger. Its gone under the radar a bit, but the kid is back and he's been solid. May not be the pacey jet he was going to be, but he's still a weapon inside mid.

West Coast and Darling. Natanui was one but now a sad story yet again.

De Goey, Buckley, Cox and Collingwood's rising stars. Well done after most drew a line through them pre season.

North Melbourne's grit and the Hawks resolve.

And GWS ability to steer the ship after a disaster of a start. Could well beat Port today and rise even further. It will be a cracking match nonetheless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back