FTA-TV Succession

torq

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Why is Shiv seen(at least by herself) as a viable option to take over from Logan?

Almost by default. As Brian Cox said in the Variety cast interview posted on this thread, Logan's children are a disappointment to him.
None of them have all the attributes and/or experience required which explains Logan's reluctance to make the call and step aside.
Never read a biography of Rupert Murdoch but I wonder if his children were/are just as unreliable.

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
Almost by default. As Brian Cox said in the Variety cast interview posted on this thread, Logan's children are a disappointment to him.
None of them have all the attributes and/or experience required which explains Logan's reluctance to make the call and step aside.
Never read a biography of Rupert Murdoch but I wonder if his children were/are just as unreliable.

There might a bit of the Murdoch's in Shiv with Rupert's daughters being active in the media.

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
MacFayden is doing some incredible work this season. The Nero and Sporus scene is an all-timer. Buy into him working with the DOJ or planning to. Shiv has just fumbled that relationship at every opportunity.

Don't watch the show for the plot necessarily, but hope that with next week's episode (which seemingly will be the shareholder meeting) that we can move beyond this particular arc.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
MacFayden is doing some incredible work this season. The Nero and Sporus scene is an all-timer. Buy into him working with the DOJ or planning to. Shiv has just fumbled that relationship at every opportunity.

Don't watch the show for the plot necessarily, but hope that with next week's episode (which seemingly will be the shareholder meeting) that we can move beyond this particular arc.
Yeah, he was brilliant in that scene. The misplaced bravado and infantile teasing of Greg, with a few cracks showing his desperation and complete brokenness he feels about everything in his life. It was almost painful to watch.

Yeah, he was brilliant in that scene. The misplaced bravado and infantile teasing of Greg, with a few cracks showing his desperation and complete brokenness he feels about everything in his life. It was almost painful to watch.

There's something about his character I just feel odd about, his weird come-ons to Greg just seem too absurdist for me considering they keep being dismissed as 'come on I was just kidding around Greg'. Good portrayal but odd character.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
There's something about his character I just feel odd about, his weird come-ons to Greg just seem too absurdist for me considering they keep being dismissed as 'come on I was just kidding around Greg'. Good portrayal but odd character.
Oh yeah, undoubtedly odd. I was thinking that there's no way someone like Shiv would be attracted to him, but it's his obsequiousness (I googled it haha) that I think Shiv enjoys exploiting. But then he takes out his resentment of his perpetual emasculation on Greg. Fake flirting is not that unusual as a form of attempted emasculation i.e. intimating that the other person is gay and not as much of a man*. But his come-ons are also incredibly nasty and quite violent at times too, which makes them extra weird. And awkwardly hilarious!

* Which of course is bollocks and I don't actually believe this is true. Just saying what the thought process is behind the gesture.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
True but those things dont make him unlikable. If anything they make me feel a bit sympathetic towards him. They are a weakness.

and arent we all rooting for ken to overtbrow his terrible father and siblings? They have it coming.
Who cares if they're "likeable"? That's not the point of the show. These characters aren't meant to be "likeable".

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast

Agreed. That scene was amazing.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
He's deeply insecure about his position in the family and being subordinate to his wife, and that gets transferred onto his relationship with Cousin Greg.

He's deeply insecure about his position in the family and being subordinate to his wife, and that gets transferred onto his relationship with Cousin Greg.

Oh I get that, just saying I find it very unsettling, which is undoubtedly the intention.

Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
Kendall does come across as the most likely of the siblings to have the experience/capability but for all of the things he's done, he just comes across as a weak prick

I find it hard to imagine with the whole story line that this would even be happening in reality - Logan would either have an heir apparent that is experienced or he wouldn't - people like Shiv etc, would have no chance of having anything to do with seniority in the company given her lack of experience in it.

Bloody love it though and its sad to think there may only be one more season after this one!

Kendall does come across as the most likely of the siblings to have the experience/capability but for all of the things he's done, he just comes across as a weak prick

I find it hard to imagine with the whole story line that this would even be happening in reality - Logan would either have an heir apparent that is experienced or he wouldn't - people like Shiv etc, would have no chance of having anything to do with seniority in the company given her lack of experience in it.

Bloody love it though and its sad to think there may only be one more season after this one!

What makes you think that? Have they suggested it'd only run 4 seasons?

torq

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The first few episodes of season 3, including this one - mostly confined to one floor of a convention centre where the shareholders meeting is held - highlights the challenges and limitations Jesse Armstrong and his co-writers must have had making a show during Covid. Still a great watch though. Brian Cox was just superb.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Greg - "I was just wondering do you think it's possible to sue a grandparent, in a way that is like an affectionate way, that might like convey I love you and I'm glad your part of my life but I am taking legal action against you?"

:laughv1::laughv1::laughv1:

Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
What makes you think that? Have they suggested it'd only run 4 seasons?

Yeah I've read articles that state it has a shelf life and they don't want to draw it out too long

Greg - "I was just wondering do you think it's possible to sue a grandparent, in a way that is like an affectionate way, that might like convey I love you and I'm glad your part of my life but I am taking legal action against you?"

:laughv1::laughv1::laughv1:

This was hilarious - in fact it was funny reading through this thread people saying it has a comedy element to it - I laughed a fair bit in last nights episode.

I really am starting to dislike Shiv - she seems to behave so entitled when she hasn't really earned squat

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
It felt like a filler episode where the writers were trying to buy time just like the Waystar Royco execs were doing at the shareholders' meeting.

As usual Roman gets the best lines - calling Logan the "piss-mad King of England", Tom as “******* Hercule Poirot of ******* piss over here.” and referring to private jets as "PJs". It seems he's the only one who genuinely cares about his Dad. At least in this episode.

We should be aware of how the writing of the show makes these super rich assholes likable. They are not even aware of the shareholders outside the top room. They don't care about a guy who had KLR tattooed on his forehead apart from how they can use him. They don't care about murders and sexual assaults on the cruise ships apart from how they can avoid going to jail.

It felt like a filler episode where the writers were trying to buy time just like the Waystar Royco execs were doing at the shareholders' meeting.

As usual Roman gets the best lines - calling Logan the "piss-mad King of England", Tom as “******* Hercule Poirot of ******* piss over here.” and referring to private jets as "PJs". It seems he's the only one who genuinely cares about his Dad. At least in this episode.

We should be aware of how the writing of the show makes these super rich assholes likable. They are not even aware of the shareholders outside the top room. They don't care about a guy who had KLR tattooed on his forehead apart from how they can use him. They don't care about murders and sexual assaults on the cruise ships apart from how they can avoid going to jail.
Far from a filler ep. Some great lines from Tom. Showed how clueless Logan’s kids are, no one could make a decision. Kendall ill fitting speech.

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
Showed how clueless Logan’s kids are, no one could make a decision. Kendall ill fitting speech.

True, but really everyone in that room kinda sucks at their job in someway. Logan's surrounded himself with his kids and yes men. Was kinda wild to see them trying to Weekend at Bernie's the situation.

Also, you can really tell that Logan's parenting (or lack thereof) has really ****ed the kids. It's why they're the way they are. I don't know if the show is saying that Shiv's deal was a bad one, just that Logan didn't care for it. But it's telling that when Shiv asks him what he would have done he doesn't have an actual answer.

Back