Competitions SugarShanes's Lock of the Week.

Remove this Banner Ad

GAME 2 ROUND 19
SugarShane - Richmond (Haw, Geel, Carl, GC, WB, Adel, Coll, Ess, Syd, Melb, StK, Bris, Port, GWS)
Crowholder - Freo (Melbourne, GWS, Saints, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Gold Coast, Richmond, Carlton, Port, Geelong)

GAME 3 ROUND 19
Arrowman – Richmond (Geelong, Collingwood, Brisbane, Fremantle)
BrissyCrow - Richmond (Hawthorn, Geelong, Adelaide, Sydney)
SugarShane - Richmond (Hawthorn, Geelong, Port Adelaide, Sydney)
Crowholder - Richmond (Hawthorn, GWS, Adelaide, Sydney)
Dangarman - Richmond (Hawthorn, GWS, Carlton, GC)

cm_perfect - St Kilda (Collingwood, Geelong, Adelaide, Fremantle)

GreyCrow - Melbourne ( GC Suns , GWS, Adelaide, Collingwood)

Dirty Bird - Greater Western Sydney (Carlton, Richmond, Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast)

jello_bello - Western Bulldogs (Carlton, GWS, Brisbane, Sydney)

GAME 2 ROUND 19
SugarShane - Richmond (Haw, Geel, Carl, GC, WB, Adel, Coll, Ess, Syd, Melb, StK, Bris, Port, GWS)
Crowholder - Freo (Melbourne, GWS, Saints, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Gold Coast, Richmond, Carlton, Port, Geelong)

GAME 3 ROUND 19

Dirty Bird - Greater Western Sydney (Carlton, Richmond, Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast)

GAME 2 ROUND 19

GAME 3 ROUND 19

MatthewB - GWS (Collingwood Geelong Gold Coast, Adelaide)

Congratulations to SugarShane for winning Game 2. In recognition of this I have renamed the thread. Also notification of the win will be made on page 1 under the rules post. Also it took 15 selections to find a winner. This is the second best performance, just missing out by one selection to equal the best result. Congratulations to SugarShane and commiserations to crowholder

GAME 3 ROUND 19

RESULTS

MatthewB - GWS (Collingwood Geelong Gold Coast, Adelaide)

For the second week in a row everyone made it through. I assume those who selected Richmond were messing their pants. I know I was. Likewise with St Kilda and Melbourne's games. Lets do it all again next week end. And again congratulations to SugarShane for winning Game 2.

GAME 3 ROUND 20

Arrowman – Melbourne (Richmond, Geelong, Collingwood, Brisbane, Fremantle)

BrissyCrow - Brisbane (Richmond, Hawthorn, Geelong, Adelaide, Sydney)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BrissyCrow - In the event that this game is still being played come finals. What will we do?
If this game is still running come finals we will continue in some way shape or form. If this game finishes prior to the finals I want to run a fresh game just for the finals. Still figuring out the best way to do that. If you have a suggestion I am happy to listen to it.

Crowholder - Geelong (Richmond, Hawthorn, GWS, Adelaide, Sydney)

SugarShane - St Kilda (Richmond, Hawthorn, Geelong, Port Adelaide, Sydney)

Fwiw, I was going to select North Melbourne in game 2 in an attempt to tie the record.

If it not finished at the end of the minor round we will continue using the finals to try and get a winner. Lets get closer first. Perhaps there is a way we can run a finals only mini comp where you have to tip the winner of each game with the addition of a winning margin.
Advice given after the conclusion of the first week of Game 3.

I've been trying to pick teams that won't make the finals. We've played 5 already, 5 to go in the minor rounds, so if you nail it (and find a win for WC - yeah, nah...) you will have the 8 finalists (more likely 7) to select. Week 1 of the finals, if you're still in it, you will probably still have 5-7 teams you could select from the 8 teams playing. Next two weeks only 4 teams play, gets a bit trickier. GF is of course only 2 teams.

My proposal is that if required we continue into finals, if you don't have a team available to select, bad luck you're out. If one or more players manage to pick the premier in the GF they are declared the winner or joint winners - or whichever player(s) bow out last.

Plan carefully! To make it to the end you would need to pick the GF winner in week 4; in week 3 the eventual runner up; in week 2 one of the semi final winners that will go on to lose a prelim, and in week 1 pick one of the EF winners. (If you pick a QF winner in week 1, you will only have a team available to select in the GF if your selected QF winner loses their prelim.)

However, I am very aware that this proposal significantly disadvantages players that have already selected teams like Port, CWD, and Brisbane; and who probably would not have made those selections if this was was the declared system up front.

Last edited:
Time to play the WC joker card. Not really with any confidence, but I think my username looks better in bold.
Five players in so far, five different selections!

GAME 3 ROUND 20

Dangarman - North Melbourne (Richmond, Hawthorn, GWS, Carlton, GC)

I've been trying to pick teams that won't make the finals. We've played 5 already, 5 to go in the minor rounds, so if you nail it (and find a win for WC - yeah, nah...) you will have the 8 finalists (more likely 7) to select. Week 1 of the finals, if you're still in it, you will probably still have 5-7 teams you could select from the 8 teams playing. Next two weeks only 4 teams play, gets a bit trickier. GF is of course only 2 teams.

My proposal is that if required we continue into finals, if you don't have a team available to select, bad luck you're out. If one or more players manage to pick the premier in the GF they are declared the winner or joint winners - or whichever player(s) bow out last.

Plan carefully! To make it to the end you would need to pick the GF winner in week 4; in week 3 the eventual runner up; in week 2 one of the semi final winners that will go on to lose a prelim, and in week 1 pick one of the EF winners. (If you pick a QF winner in week 1, you will only have a team available to select in the GF if your selected QF winner loses their prelim.)

However, I am very aware that this proposal significantly disadvantages players that have already selected teams like Port, CWD, and Brisbane; and who probably would not have made those selections if this was was the declared system up front.
If we use the finals to decide a winner we will get one. If there are five people still in the hunt and its grand final we will introduce nominating the winning margin. No one will be able to have the same winning margin so you will need to get in first which isnt a good thing because most people will leave their selection until late. But we will see. The only people will be those who are still in the comp.

However I am keen on having a separate comp just for the finals. There will only be four rounds so I need to figure out the best way to ensure people are eliminated. Again still need to get my act together to come up with a doable method. Maybe just run with the current methodology and rely on the grand final using the winning margin idea Would be great if we could a prize or maybe a badge to award the winner. Need to talk to the powers to be.

This is why I'm asking.

If we continue into finals, I will try and pick between Hawthorn/St Kilda, West Coast/North Melbourne or Essendon/Sydney
But if we aren't I'd pick someone like Geelong or Port Adelaide

Thus far I've been trying to avoid finalists for your exact reasoning. But I fear if I go that route this week, I think there's a good chance of elimination.

TBH - I want a definitive answer before I make my tip. It has major implications on me this week.

Also BC - I was thinking of perhaps making a rule going forward - Turning the WC rule (And wasn't it also the Adelaide rule a few years back) into more black and white.

Ie. You can not make more than 1 tip per game against any team sub 60%

I'm just looking at 2021
1 - Free
2-11 - North Melbourne
12-23 - Free

1 - Free
2 - Essendon
3-7 - Free
8-20 - North Melbourne and West Coast
21-23 - North Melbourne

1 - Free
2 - Brisbane, Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast and Hawthorn
3 - Western Bulldogs and Hawthorn
4 - Free
5-6 - Hawthorn
7-10 - Free
11-20 - West Coast

Say Rd 1 this year you select Essendon (To beat Hawthorn), but no one was sub 60% so you're fine. Rd 2 you decide to go Sydney vs Hawthorn. But this becomes your 1 instance you can go against a team sub 60% (as they entered the rd Sub 60%) In Rd 3 you can't tip Brisbane (over Bulldogs) or North Melbourne (over Hawthorn) - Lucky too as they both lost. But as both teams jumped over 60%, in Rd 4 you're free to go Geelong (over Hawthorn), however, now that they're under 60% again, you can't go GWS to beat Hawthorn in Rd 5.

You know what I mean? I just kinda like making rules black and white, rather than deciding when a game starts. Oh, it's s**t when this team sucks. So you can only go against West Coast once in this game. Making it black and white takes out the ambiguity, sure, early on in the year it can be a minefield (But isn't it already), but I feel it's fine.

It sounds confusing. But with the bolding you're doing it'd probably be easy to keep up to date with, and at the opening of each week, you could probably indicate if your name is bolded, you can't tip x y or z.

GAME 3 ROUND 20

GreyCrow - Geelong (Melbourne , GC Suns , GWS, Adelaide, Collingwood)

Last edited:
This is why I'm asking.

If we continue into finals, I will try and pick between Hawthorn/St Kilda, West Coast/North Melbourne or Essendon/Sydney
But if we aren't I'd pick someone like Geelong or Port Adelaide

Thus far I've been trying to avoid finalists for your exact reasoning. But I fear if I go that route this week, I think there's a good chance of elimination.

TBH - I want a definitive answer before I make my tip. It has major implications on me this week.
I think I have given you an answer. If the game isnt decided before finals it will continue using the finals Only the players remaining will continue and previous selections will not be allowed. I think thats reasonable. I also think that as the rule will apply to all players you need to plan as best as you can. Hell the game could be over before finals. As for the rules from yesteryear you need to remember that I took this on to help Drugs out. So some of the adjustments I have made have been on the run. Next year there maybe some changes but thats next year. For all I know Drugs Are Bad Mackay? might want to come back and take charge. So for me I will keep it simple for the remainder of this year and then see what will happen in 2024. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Time to play the WC joker card. Not really with any confidence

GAME 3 ROUND 20

Dirty Bird - West Coast (Greater Western Sydney, Carlton, Richmond, Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast)

GAME 3 ROUND 20

MatthewB - Melbourne (GWS Collingwood Geelong Gold Coast, Adelaide)

Dirty Bird - West Coast (Greater Western Sydney, Carlton, Richmond, Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back