Big Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

This does seem like a bit of a knee jerk reaction to the news that the story was about to go public.

From the sound of it I think they got it right at the time. If it was consensual banter between adults then give him a smack on the wrist and leave him to sort it out with Mrs Paine. Or leave her to throw him out on the kerb, that’s her business. But his playing career shouldn’t be affected.

Changing their mind about what the punishment should be, three years later, is just a terrible look.

If he's not captaining, time to find a new keeper, in my view.

Left field choice for captain - Usman Khawaja. Bat as an opener to allow Head to cement a position at 5, with a view to him eventually captaining.
Unfortunately Head it’s really up to test level barely cemented a spot in the team so can’t be in Mind to caption.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wade would be at least 3rd in line as a keeper after Carey and Inglis IMO.
Sure but he is already batting number 5 . He must be a better bat then those two. Just stick the gloves on him and add another batter better than carey or Inglis in at number 5 and wade slides in after green at 7 .

I don't think making Pat captain now means he has to do it forever. Just give him the role for the next 12 months by which time Carey or Head or the like are hopefully ready to take over.
When was the last time a bowler was captain ?
Its better to have a batsmen as captain so the bowlers can focus on bowling

For Australia it was Richie Benaud. But he was probably a bowling all rounder. For other countries there’s Bob Willis and Imran Kahn( could also bat well).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

For Australia it was Richie Benaud. But he was probably a bowling all rounder. For other countries there’s Bob Willis and Imran Kahn( could also bat well).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He was a spin bowler different kettle of fish to a fast bowler . Spin bowlers are far more tactical.

I think I read first fast bowler to captain Aus in 65 or 67 years

Smithy to captain .
Smith was a s**t captain anyway. No need to go back that route.

If Head can finally solidify a spot he is the best option we have for captaining the team, but he is not even a guarantee for the first test.

Can't see how Paine can stay in the team for the summer, if for no other reason than the fact that he is going to cop an absolute torrid time from the English Barmy Army. Personally, that's up to him to take, but I reckon it will seep into the other members of the team as well.

Inglis or Carey should come in. Very 50/50 call. Both are decent batsmen, but only average with the gloves. Inglis is younger and does have a slightly higher ceiling... Carey has a lot of international experience now, so I'd probably go for the latter in a lineball call. I think Carey is just a bit more of a known quantity right now. But if he hasn't nailed down that keeper spot by the end of next summer, I'd be more than happy to move to Inglis (assuming he is still on his current trajectory) who'd be 28 and approaching peak time for an Australian call up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back