Big Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Agent93.

Unless Carey has a shocking tour, can't see him getting dropped.
All Inglis can do is keep making Shield/red ball cricket runs and keep well.

Thought all along that Carey was flakey with the gloves. Don’t mind him in the ODI and T20 set up because keeping isn’t as important and his batting is suited to the shorter formats.

Reckon a subcontinent Test tour may expose his keeping a bit more. All Inglis needs to do is keep himself in the frame as next cab off the rank.

No lets see how the sub continent tests go for carey

Inglis still in the frame

That's the thing, Carey's in the side plodding along at 20 whilst Inglis doesn't play. CA are very hesitant to swap players in and out when they're healthy (see also: Starc's horrible 5th test average), so Carey will be given a decent chance to lock down the spot because unlike Wade his glovework isn't complete garbage (that Woakes catch was a ripper).

Inglis will get a couple of BBL matches before the NZ ODIs, and won't play. Then presumably he'll be in the squad for Pakistan, and won't play. By the end of that the domestic season will be done (if it ever gets re-fixtured). He won't play any long form Cricket before the Sri Lanka series in June, where again he'll presumably be a backup and unable to play much county Cricket.

So he didn't get the job because he didn't get Shield batting time, and basically, there is very limited opportunity for Inglis to bat his way into the side until at least the WI tour in late November. He's still going to have to rely on the luck of next season's Shield fixtures, and Carey being actual garbage* for that to happen.

*Harris standard is 7 tests of garbage plus an injury/covid exclusion to an unrelated player before being dropped after close to your best three innings in the previous 2.5 years.

Last edited:
All Inglis needs to do is keep himself in the frame as next cab off the rank.
He's not really going to get a chance to do that though. You're going to have Peirson and Phillipe getting the gloves domestically, whilst Inglis gets to practice in the nets in the sub-continent.

It's a spectacularly bad set of circumstances unless CA realise he needs to play to develop his game.

What happened to laurie evans? Surely he is a better player than Hardie

My gut feeling on inglis was that he was seen as the Paine’s eventual replacement but after the scandal on the eve of a big series they kinda felt like blooding Carey in as he 1) he had played some cricket leading up to the Ashes and 2) had international cricket under his belt and had been handy at ODI level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Patterson always looks incredible until the 6th or 7th over then just keeps getting out kinda meekly

I hope Mitch plants him self as a mainstay in both white ball squads and performs. His brother was a huge unfulfilled talent internationally and I’d hate to see Mitch go down that path

This NSW boys club rubbish you go on with is just embarrassing. Our bowling attack may all be from NSW ( assuming all fit and Hazelwood in for Boland) but that's because they are the best bowlers in the county. Richo is very good, I'm a fan but he is not being left out because he is from WA.
How can you not see that batsmen all over the world are conspiring to give Starc, Hazlewood and Cummins much better records than they are otherwise entitled to.

And don't forget old mate McGrath. Gentle medium pacers picking up 550+ wickets at ~21.5... gotta be a NSW conspiracy.

How can you not see that batsmen all over the world are conspiring to give Starc, Hazlewood and Cummins much better records than they are otherwise entitled to.

And don't forget old mate McGrath. Gentle medium pacers picking up 550+ wickets at ~21.5... gotta be a NSW conspiracy.

To be fair when Mcgrath started in the Aussie team he could bowl 140+, he slowed down to 128-132 in the last few years of his career.

There is no way IMO Starc should of been picked for the first test the way he was bowling leading up to it and his form from the previous year and the form that Jhye was in....plus Starc should of been rested for the last test. Yes Starc bowled well on some of the best pitches seen for bowlers for years

Vaughnie stated that he had never seen Australian pitches with so much juice in them Starc took advantage but even then he could not bowl us to victory in sydney on the last day ,,,,jhye did with 5 wickets on the flattest pitch of the series Adelaide yes it was pink ball but it was flatter

Then Jhye gets a little niggle for the boxing day test...my mail is that he was "rested under the presumption of playing in hobart the next pink ball test" then boland comes along and bowls brilliantly which is fantastic but jhye was really duped and hard done by

Then the last test comes along and Cummins who is great mates with Starc wants to keep him in to stick it up loud mouth warney who gave it to him at the beginning of the series

Last year the selectors stated that the bowlers were tired and should of been rested.....so does this mean only bowlers who don't play for NSW get rotated?? Lyon didn't even bowl a ball in Hobart but still got picked

When Hazelwood is fit yes he will come back in because he is class for me the bowler under most pressure is Starc,,,last time Jhye bowled for Australia he took 5 wickets on the flattest wicket of the series the equivalent of making hundred for a bowler....Starc didn't take a 5 for all series

So yes there is a definite bias for the NSW boys club
Starc was preferred (I wanted Richo in for him at the start of the series) because he is a proven world class fast bowler and long time incumbent in the test team. Richo has played a few tests and had multiple injury concerns, ultimately what ruled him out of tests 3&4. That is why they went the way they did, not because of which state each game from.
I thought a rest for Starc was on the cards in game 5 but he is the best pink ball bowler in the world and he stood up again and repaid the selectors decision.
Your bed wetting cries of state based bias are unfounded and rather sad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back