Club Legend
Mar 6, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Vikings, USC
Aussie T20 Squad:
Squad: Aaron Finch (c), Ashton Agar, Pat Cummins (vc), Josh Hazlewood, Josh Inglis, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Swepson, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Adam Zampa. Reserves: Dan Christian, Nathan Ellis, Daniel Sams.

If not Warner, then who should we open with alongside Finch? Wade, Smith, Stoinis maybe?

Inglis is way better suited in the middle order..

Aussie T20 Squad:
Squad: Aaron Finch (c), Ashton Agar, Pat Cummins (vc), Josh Hazlewood, Josh Inglis, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Swepson, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Adam Zampa. Reserves: Dan Christian, Nathan Ellis, Daniel Sams.

If not Warner, then who should we open with alongside Finch? Wade, Smith, Stoinis maybe?

Stoinis
Warner
Marsh
Maxwell
Finch
Wade
Inglis
Agar
Starc
Richardson/Swepson
Zampa

It's a very flawed team but I don't see how you can pick a team that isn't flawed from that squad.

Truckosaurus

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Stoinis has played his best cricket as an opener. Pair him with Finch, put Inglis in the first XI as part of a floating middle order. I know it's ridiculously right-hander heavy but I'd rather a right-hander in form than Warner out of form.

I also really hope the new selection panel has put a line through the "pick openers and play them in the middle order" strategy for future series. It's the cricketing equivalent of the All Australian selection strategy, except the cricket team actually has to play.

Stoinis
Warner
Marsh
Maxwell
Finch
Wade
Inglis
Agar
Starc
Richardson/Swepson
Zampa

It's a very flawed team but I don't see how you can pick a team that isn't flawed from that squad.

Somehow that manages to look like an extremely weak batting lineup but also bat down to 9.

Aussie T20 Squad:

You answered your own question. But wrongly ;)

If you think that teams weak, wait til the real team rolls out with Smith at 4, Maxwell at 6 and Agar at 7

As you said earlier, the problem stems from the lack of batters in the squad. What happened to our wealth of batting stars?

As you said earlier, the problem stems from the lack of batters in the squad. What happened to our wealth of batting stars?
In Aus best time to bat in T20s is up front, so we always end the BBL with 10 openers and 2 middle order players having played well, and the selectors then try to force those openers into different roles which almost never works. Plus Australian cricket hates Glenn Maxwell.

I can't wait for Stoinis to make 12 off 11 in our first game batting in a position he's literally never batted in the BBL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back