Big Cricket Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapowie1

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Speaking of cricket, i'll do mine tonight but i'd love to see people doing a worldwide best 11 based only on players 1990 onwards.

Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting
Lara
Tendulkar
Kallis
Sangakkara
Steyn
Anderson
McGrath
Murali

12th and 13th
Warne Gilchrist

Could make an argument for Ambrose in for Steyn or anderson. Anderson gets in because of longevity and wickets and Steyn for his insane SR and great average.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting
Lara
Tendulkar
Kallis
Sangakkara
Steyn
Anderson
McGrath
Murali

12th and 13th
Warne Gilchrist

Could make an argument for Ambrose in for Steyn or anderson. Anderson gets in because of longevity and wickets and Steyn for his insane SR and great average.

I think realistically if Sangakarra was going to come out at 7, you'd pick Gilchrist ahead of him batting that low.

I'd pick Sanga at 3 ahead of Ponting as a pure batsman.

Kapowie1

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I think realistically if Sangakarra was going to come out at 7, you'd pick Gilchrist ahead of him batting that low.

I'd pick Sanga at 3 ahead of Ponting as a pure batsman.

I was never going to leave out Ponting but yes you are right he could definitely be at 3. I’m a punter fanboi. Swap kallis and sang, then play two spinners and leave out anderson

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting
Lara
Tendulkar
Kallis
Sangakkara
Steyn
Anderson
McGrath
Murali

12th and 13th
Warne Gilchrist

Murali instead of Warne.
Really?

Kapowie1

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Murali instead of Warne.
Really?

I loved Warne. Was amazing to watch all through my childhood. Murali had a better record in nearly every recordable stat. If anything you make room for the two of them

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
I loved Warne. Was amazing to watch all through my childhood. Murali had a better record in nearly every recordable stat. If anything you make room for the two of them

if it was for the Javelin throw Murali would be first picked for the Sri Lankan Olympic team. Cricket ? massive asterix and always will be.

Kapowie1

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
if it was for the Javelin throw Murali would be first picked for the Sri Lankan Olympic team. Cricket ? massive asterix and always will be.

Agree on the asterisk. Just as big as Warne’s for steroids (ahem diet pill from his mum)

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast

The entire team was based around setting Murali up to take wickets. Where as Warne was head to head with amazing Quicks on decks more suited to pace.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

Stats can lie.

Murali had the advantage of playing Zimbabwe and Bangladesh in 25 tests where he got 176 wickets to Warne's 3 tests for 17 wickets..

As good as Murali was, I reckon you'd be hard pressed to find a cricketer saying he was better than Warne.
In most of the books I've read, they pretty much all say Warney was the best.
Michael Atherton said he (Warne) was easily the best cricketer of his generation.

Last edited:

Kapowie1

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Stats can lie.

Murali had the advantage of playing Zimbabwe and Bangladesh in 25 tests where he got 176 wickets to Warne's 11 tests for 17 wickets.

As good as Murali was, I reckon you'd be hard pressed to find a cricketer saying he was better than Warne.
In most of the books I've read, they pretty much all say Warney was the best.
Michael Atherton said he (Warne) was easily the best cricketer of his generation.

Yep it’s definitely an argument to be had.
I should have had Warne in the 11 in place of anderson playing two spinners

Only cos they bent (lol) the rules for him.

Funniest ever comment I saw was a Sri Lankan fan complaining about Gilchrist's knock in the 2007 world cup. (Gilchrist had used a half a squash ball inside his batting glove to stop the bat from slipping in his grip, not illegal under cricket's laws).

They were having a whinge saying that the ICC changed the rules to allow Gilchrist's tactic to be legal, and an Aussie fan retorted that are Sri Lankan's really in a position to criticize the ICC for changing the laws to make something legal

Kapowie1

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I can think of quite a few I would have before Anderson in a test line up, let alone a limited overs focussed listing.

I thought it was test format. ?? Obviously will be very different if it’s limited overs

Jul 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, West Perth
20211123_125911.jpg

Gaggin doesn't want to take it lying down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back