Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
I feel for Paine.

Been hung out to dry for a guy that made 1 silly mistake and his career is completely damaged over this.

He made a mistake entering a silly flirting situation where he and that girl from all reports was consensual conversation and the only reason it got out was because she got fired after? Then she goes and does it with his brother in law?

Good on Cricket Tasmainia going whack with their statement.

Handled terribly but I think there is a good argument for not taking and circulating pictures of your junk as a standing rule to live by.

Feel sorry for Tim as he seems to have owned it at the time and his wife forgave him and she's the only one who's opinion really matters on this issue.

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Such scuzzy behaviour by CA.

Paine is parachuted in at the nadir of Australian cricket and is saddled with the responsibility of restoring the reputation of the national team - whatever that means. He arguably achieves that about face and is largely seen as a respected player and front for Australian Cricket.

Then a few years later he's pushed out for a 'scandal' that CA was entirely aware of and indeed ticked off in the first place. Meanwhile a majority of the selectors and administrators and players that built up that toxic culture in the first instance remain in place.

Unless some truly damning revelations come out - that CA were somehow unaware of - this whole thing stinks of them not standing by their man because they view him as expendable. Pretty gross by CA after bringing him in in the first place.

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Oh boy:

'Renee Ferguson, 47, has revealed that she complained about sexual harassment in the office prior to her decision to resign from her job – but the prior complaint did not relate to Mr Paine or his brother-in-law but another man in the office.'

What the * is going on at Sterling Cooper Cricket Tasmania?

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Handled terribly but I think there is a good argument for not taking and circulating pictures of your junk as a standing rule to live by.

Feel sorry for Tim as he seems to have owned it at the time and his wife forgave him and she's the only one who's opinion really matters on this issue.
Would have played out so much differently had they just aired it all out when it happened. Of course, with the Cape Town debacle having only passed a couple of months prior (when the Paine sext became knowledge inside CA and CTas hallways) they were desperate to not have any more bad publicity.

They took a punt that they could keep it private - to protect Paine, CA and CTas... which was a pretty naïve punt in this day and age*. Now that is has inevitably come out, they gotta deal with the fall out twice. Most notably, Paine's wife has to deal with the fall out twice, which is particularly brutal given I'm sure she wants she has forgiven Paine the last thing she would've wanted was for this to get aired again three years later.

As usual there's more fall out from the cover up than the indiscretion. Combined with the fact with CA appointing him captain because he is one of the good guys and a cleanskin then you have a very combustible situation.

Had it been dealt with openly and transparently when it came to light in 2018, Paine probably loses the captaincy. He probably doesn't get suspended (there was no inclination CA were going to suspend him now, so why would they in 2018?). He probably takes a couple of months away from the game to help deal with his marriage as he has now and I imagine he did at the time, but given the next test wasn't for six months he likely doesn't miss any tests and continues his career knowing there is nothing in the closet that can come back to bite him (let's just assume this for now). The reason he is unlikely to play for Australia again is because he is having to deal with the public fallout two weeks short of his 37th birthday, rather than if it was fully dealt with at 33.

*How it's been leaked doesn't look good for the woman involved, who has a bit of a rapsheet with Cricket Tasmania, with court charges pending for stealing from her employer. Those are all separate issues though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back