Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Only one not looking in ripping shape (to my eyes) either pre Christmas break or post is Impey. Always been a bit of a struggle for him to shred up, but no excuses for mine.
Not sure why as you'd think he'd be absolutely fired up to claim this stage of his career after some disappointing time out of the game for injuries.
Reckon he's a bonus player this year if he can get himself cherry ripe, not so much first marker on the whiteboard.
You might want to check the most recent gallery photos. Impey is looking trim and fit.

Just replying to put the record straight and allay any doubts you had. Like you said injuries have also been cruel to Jarman and I hope he has a great 2022. Vital player.

Shiels is one of the most consistent and hardest workers on the list. He'll still be tough to displace from the team. But I don't expect him to improve on the last few years which have been a steady decline. If he doesn't suddenly recapture career best form then I would expect a few to overtake him.

Howe can still improve. I've said it before, Howe played career best footy in multiple games this year, the best of which were in the run home. If he plays that footy more often than not then he's easily best 22. He's also a big, mature body who can play in multiple positions. So even if it's just more of the same from him he's liable to play 15+ games and appear to be in the best 22.

Morrison can definitely still improve. He might not, but I wouldn't write him off just yet. The coaching change could help put him back on track to meet the early expectations this board had for him.

These three will be solid back-up options when (hopefully) our talented young core develop. We need the likes of the Duke, Ward, Maginess and Downie overtaking them quickly.

These three will be solid back-up options when (hopefully) our talented young core develop. We need the likes of the Duke, Ward, Maginess and Downie overtaking them quickly.
I'd say we've made massive progress if they're out a regular position by the end of the season.
With Shiels likely retiring and Howe and Morrison well and truly playing for their next contract, I'd say we'll see the best out of them, and hopefully our young bloods show enough signs to move them out of the list, even with their best performances on display.

That being said, I think Morrison is the most likely to earn himself another contract and stay on beyond this year. I still think he's an incredibly talented player, and I think last year more people would have this opinion if he hadn't have copped the injuries that he did.

O'Hara has spent a lot of time with Nash, so he will have a very good understanding of what lies ahead. Like Nash, he has played a fair bit of rugby and won't be too phased by the physical side of our game or the oval ball. He has also spent some time in Melbourne. I don't think we wil be expecting too much of him in 2022 but if he can have a bit of impact at BH.

Has been a first picked player when fit and available since 2017. Sam might have a very different assessment of his abilities mind you - but he has absolutely been a best 22 player for a while now.
He has, but we have been a poor side in that time

If we were genuinely gunning for a flag (hence better players) he would struggle to see game time

Craig Treleven was in our best side too back in the day, average player in a poor side gets games

I'd say we've made massive progress if they're out a regular position by the end of the season.
With Shiels likely retiring and Howe and Morrison well and truly playing for their next contract, I'd say we'll see the best out of them, and hopefully our young bloods show enough signs to move them out of the list, even with their best performances on display.

That being said, I think Morrison is the most likely to earn himself another contract and stay on beyond this year. I still think he's an incredibly talented player, and I think last year more people would have this opinion if he hadn't have copped the injuries that he did.

I think we will have to strongly disagree on the incredibly talented part.

Morrison is a decent player with above average skills. He has no real standout attributes that would make him incredibly talented, IMO, though he doesn't have any glaring weaknesses either. He's a solid squad option that doesn't excel in any one position.

He is regarded as one of the leaders of the young group though.

Consider this (relevant to Howe too), what is his best position? Who will he be competing with for that role, and how does the including of Sicily, Day, CJ, Impey, Moore and Gunston impact this? Or the talented draftees and youngsters that are impressing?

O'Hara has spent a lot of time with Nash, so he will have a very good understanding of what lies ahead. Like Nash, he has played a fair bit of rugby and won't be too phased by the physical side of our game or the oval ball. He has also spent some time in Melbourne. I don't think we wil be expecting too much of him in 2022 but if he can have a bit of impact at BH.
I’m not even sure he’ll play at Box Hill.

He won’t be ready for it.

Howe is firmly in our best 22, I was never a huge wrap for him when he played in the middle, often looked to slow and reactive.
Last season his role on the wing was brilliant tough and uncompromising. The amount of times he got back in defence or cut off a play on the wing was countless. We lack physicality on our team his a must, plays the k.Mcintosh/A.Brayshaw role to a tee. Howe,Bramble on the wings with Ward rotating!

W.Day has always been discussed and talked about to one day play up in the middle it will be interesting to see what Mitchell does. Day could be a brilliant hbf but we lack polish on the ball to deliver into the 50. J.Scrimshaw/C.Jiath are very solid intercept players with Sicily coming back, Dgb to slot in, where is he required ? Impey, Hardwick are also both good ball users it's a good problem to have.

Last edited:
Howe is firmly in our best 22, I was never a huge wrap for him when he played in the middle, often looked to slow and reactive.
Last season his role on the wing was brilliant tough and uncompromising. The amount of times he got back in defence or cut off a play on the wing was countless. We lack physicality on our team his a must, plays the k.Mcintosh/A.Brayshaw role to a tee. Howe,Bramble on the wings with Ward rotating!

W.Day has always been discussed and talked about to one day play up in the middle it will be interesting to see what Mitchell does. Day could be a brilliant hbf but we lack polish on the ball to deliver into the 50. J.Scrimshaw/C.Jiath are very solid intercept players with Sicily coming back, Dgb to slot in, where is he required ? Impey, Hardwick are also both good ball users it's a good problem to have.

I've always imagined Day behind or on the ball, but I wonder if he could be the mid-forward sides are using now that connects the midfield and forward line. Is smart, an excellent user and tough, though not as physical/developed as a couple of others who play that role.

If everyone is fit, who is missing out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If everyone is fit, who is missing out?

Everyone being fit is a silly hypothetical - particularly in a living with covid world. Have a look at the American sporting leagues this year, players are entering covid protocols all the bloody time.

Also there were games last year where the injury list wasn’t overly long and Howe was still in the 22 - in the game against GWS he played with Newcombe, Bramble, Phillips, CJ and Day.

I’ll be pretty ecstatic if Magginness, Downie, Ward, Butler and McDonald all surpass him this year - but if they don’t, particularly the first year players, people need to be realistic and stop cracking the sads. First and second year players have had covid impacted final seasons in their junior footy and the second year players had bugger all VFL last year. To say that if they’re not all crushing it in the seniors by the end of this season is bad news is just not in line with reality. Exciting training reports are awesome - but let’s just be patient with the kids and stop putting the red pen through 26 year old players coming off career best seasons who may not have hit their ceiling.

I've always imagined Day behind or on the ball, but I wonder if he could be the mid-forward sides are using now that connects the midfield and forward line. Is smart, an excellent user and tough, though not as physical/developed as a couple of others who play that role.
For about a year, I've been saying that he could be our Gunston replacement.

Everyone being fit is a silly hypothetical - particularly in a living with covid world. Have a look at the American sporting leagues this year, players are entering covid protocols all the bloody time.

Also there were games last year where the injury list wasn’t overly long and Howe was still in the 22 - in the game against GWS he played with Newcombe, Bramble, Phillips, CJ and Day.

I’ll be pretty ecstatic if Magginness, Downie, Ward, Butler and McDonald all surpass him this year - but if they don’t, particularly the first year players, people need to be realistic and stop cracking the sads. First and second year players have had covid impacted final seasons in their junior footy and the second year players had bugger all VFL last year. To say that if they’re not all crushing it in the seniors by the end of this season is bad news is just not in line with reality. Exciting training reports are awesome - but let’s just be patient with the kids and stop putting the red pen through 26 year old players coming off career best seasons who may not have hit their ceiling.
Can’t think of a game we’ve had since 2015 where we’ve been able to pick from our best 22 due to injuries. It just doesn’t happen.

Best 22 however is a good hypothetical discussion, but I don’t think even Sam would have much of a firm view at this point. In many ways you hope that best 22 now is vastly different to what it is later in the year.

Expect Howe and especially Morrison will up against it getting regular games in 2022. Lots of competition for hbf and wing spots and don’t really fit in with a more attacking game style.

Shiels is such a flexible and reliable mid. Wouldn’t be surprised if he plays a lot of games as with a potential new game plan having a guy to plug gaps will be useful and he’s far more flexible than our other mids. But really need to get a better sense of how midfield will be set up this year.

Can’t think of a game we’ve had since 2015 where we’ve been able to pick from our best 22 due to injuries. It just doesn’t happen.

Best 22 however is a good hypothetical discussion, but I don’t think even Sam would have much of a firm view at this point. In many ways you hope that best 22 now is vastly different to what it is later in the year.

I generally find 'list our best 22' conversations absolutely moot until after the praccy games - particularly with the sheer volume of youth in the side now. It is way too hard to assess the output of the draftees and overall improvement of the second year players until the pre-season is in full flight and there's been some actual footy played.

I generally find 'list our best 22' conversations absolutely moot until after the praccy games - particularly with the sheer volume of youth in the side now. It is way too hard to assess the output of the draftees and overall improvement of the second year players until the pre-season is in full flight and there's been some actual footy played.

I agree, the "Howe will be up against getting a game" type comments are strange - if he comes out in every pre-season hit outs and plays like he did against the Dogs and GWS last year they're not gonna drop him back to the VFL for no reason. Gotta give everyone a chance to show where they're at and not dismiss a player out of hand, because there'd be plenty (myself included) who thought players like Moore and CJ weren't going to be able to show consistency at the level.

I agree, the "Howe will be up against getting a game" type comments are strange - if he comes out in every pre-season hit outs and plays like he did against the Dogs and GWS last year they're not gonna drop him back to the VFL for no reason. Gotta give everyone a chance to show where they're at and not dismiss a player out of hand, because there'd be plenty (myself included) who thought players like Moore and CJ weren't going to be able to show consistency at the level.

Absolutely. This is why I continually argue for Howe's case on the fact that he has been a best 22 player for a long while now when not injured or suspended. To expect Ward, Butler and McDonald to just waltz in and take his spot isn't fair to Howe, who is coming off a career best year and in his prime years, nor is it fair to a bunch of kids who might need time to find their feet at senior level, especially when their last 2 years of junior footy were severely interrupted. Those saying it will be a disaster if Howe isn't supplanted by first or second year players are setting themselves up for the potential of really unnecessary disappointment.

Absolutely. This is why I continually argue for Howe's case on the fact that he has been a best 22 player for a long while now when not injured or suspended. To expect Ward, Butler and McDonald to just waltz in and take his spot isn't fair to Howe, who is coming off a career best year and in his prime years, nor is it fair to a bunch of kids who might need time to find their feet at senior level, especially when their last 2 years of junior footy were severely interrupted. Those saying it will be a disaster if Howe isn't supplanted by first or second year players are setting themselves up for the potential of really unnecessary disappointment.

That said, its always interesting to see the whipping boy baton handed over in real time. Howe and Hartigan, come on down!

That said, its always interesting to see the whipping boy baton handed over in real time. Howe and Hartigan, come on down!

Morrison has done his apprenticeship also - prime whipping boy time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back