Howe, JOM, Downie, DGB

Box Hill
Blanck, Parsons, Adduci, Mascitti

Academy
Zane Duursma and (Can't remember his name) really short guy

Seamus didn't didn't do much and went up real early

Saunders involved in running on the far side

Wingard hasn't done much since spraining his ankle last week

CJ, Day and Gunston are of course on their own program. Gunston extensively involved in coaching the forwards covering the loss of Hale who has been missing because of Covid

Howe and JOM and Downie did most of the training they were involved in the intra but didn't do all of it Howe finishing up first followed by JOM and Downie who ended doing laps. DGB was on light duties again today and did a lot of running. He is still behind the 8 ball as far as his aerobic fitness is concerned will need a couple more preseasons before

Training was all about the same transition drills on the wing keepings off from a stoppage then getting it out to a runner who delivers into 50
Hand ball and kicking drills.

They also had some Forwards V defenders with a kicker kicking the ball deep into the forward line. Sic marked the ball both times to end the drill. Great to have him back. He was involved in the drill twice before being forced to sit out the rest so that they could actually get others involved. He has put on some size its going to be hard to shift him from the ball once he has his eyes on it.

We then had the intra. 2 10 minute qtrs and a 4 minute 3rd qtr. The numbers were vastly reduced to a 14 a side in the last qtr

The highlights of the intra already alluded to in here was Ward kicking a goal from the center from a tap and JOM handball out while being tackled right into Ward's hands streaming inside 50 without breaking stride poetry in motion.

Bramble involved off half back give and go getting it back running on egged on by his team mated to kick the goal nailed it from 45.

Maginness with stiff arm fend off playing on Worpel i had some real reservations about the boy prior to this pre season but he really is one to watch coming into the season. Confidence is sky high and he demands the ball a great pre season so far looking forward to seeing him against Richmond

Callow also had a good day out the benefit of blocking frees. Lewis took a great hanger over poor old Scrimshaw as the play of the day. He also kicked the goal from 35

The boys started to tire and we had a pretty haphazard 3qtr where our skills degraded. Luckily that ended quickly to avoid me talking about it any further

One other thing i have noticed is that JOM's ball drop when he is kicking it has changed. He looks to have worked on his kicking over the summer.

The boys then ran 200m interval / shuttle training runs as i left to go to the beach with the family

Till next time
My money’s on the really short guy.

Jut got back from beach so traning today

Beautiful day down at Waverley and it was a long session

No Shows
Brockman, Morris

Rehab
Gunston, Seamus, Saunders, Wingard, CJ and Day

Limited program
Howe, JOM, Downie, DGB

Box Hill

Academy

CJ, Day and Gunston are of course on their own program. Gunston extensively involved in coaching the forwards covering the loss of Hale who has been missing because of Covid

Howe and JOM and Downie did most of the training they were involved in the intra but didn't do all of it Howe finishing up first followed by JOM and Downie who ended doing laps. DGB was on light duties again today and did a lot of running. He is still behind the 8 ball as far as his aerobic fitness is concerned will need a couple more preseasons before

Training was all about the same transition drills on the wing keepings off from a stoppage then getting it out to a runner who delivers into 50

They also had some Forwards V defenders with a kicker kicking the ball deep into the forward line. Sic marked the ball both times to end the drill. Great to have him back. He was involved in the drill twice before being forced to sit out the rest so that they could actually get others involved. He has put on some size its going to be hard to shift him from the ball once he has his eyes on it.

We then had the intra. 2 10 minute qtrs and a 4 minute 3rd qtr. The numbers were vastly reduced to a 14 a side in the last qtr

The highlights of the intra already alluded to in here was Ward kicking a goal from the center from a tap and JOM handball out while being tackled right into Ward's hands streaming inside 50 without breaking stride poetry in motion.

Bramble involved off half back give and go getting it back running on egged on by his team mated to kick the goal nailed it from 45.

Maginness with stiff arm fend off playing on Worpel i had some real reservations about the boy prior to this pre season but he really is one to watch coming into the season. Confidence is sky high and he demands the ball a great pre season so far looking forward to seeing him against Richmond

Callow also had a good day out the benefit of blocking frees. Lewis took a great hanger over poor old Scrimshaw as the play of the day. He also kicked the goal from 35

The boys started to tire and we had a pretty haphazard 3qtr where our skills degraded. Luckily that ended quickly to avoid me talking about it any further

One other thing i have noticed is that JOM's ball drop when he is kicking it has changed. He looks to have worked on his kicking over the summer.

The boys then ran 200m interval / shuttle training runs as i left to go to the beach with the family

Till next time
Thanks TFP.

So bramble still playing backline huh?!

Who could have guessed it 🤪🤪🤪

I was the kid who was told

“Shut up its not funny …if you don’t shut up I’ll bash you.”

😢

I kept going anyway. fu** em
I feel like this was how things played out for you 🤔
monty python misc films GIF

I'll preface all of this by saying - it's hard to watch everyone when there are generally three separate drills going on at any one time. Never mind the fact the sun was unforgiving. I also tended to look for the younger guys when I could.

So here are a few things that stood out to me:

Lewis - competed strongly in a 1v1 drill against Lynch, Big Boy and Noodle. Six coloured cones were set out as an area for the contest, Monkey would call out two colours and the players would have to run to the corresponding cones and then run back to contest in the air for the ball. I liked his use of his body, he competed really hard (mind you they all did).

He also took a massive mark in the match simulation (2 x 10 minute halves), and he also crumbed a nice goal.

Callow - seemed to get the best of Hartigan a few times in contests, which seemed to frustrate Hartigan. He also blew right past Ward in one of the half-lap run throughs that they were doing near the end of the session. Having said that Ward had already done a few of these and I think that was the first one Callow was involved in.

Ward - man, he looked like he's a seasoned pro, just all class. He stood out in every drill he was involved in. Quick, clean hands in the handball/pressure drill. He was running hard and being a link up option when the handball/pressure drill was extended to include a break and kick deep forward.

In one passage of play he was running toward the 50 and it looked like he was going to have a ping at the goals, but in the last moment the readjusted and finessed a beautiful 25/30m pass to (I think) Lewis on the lead. The kick was just over the head of one defender and into space, between another defender.

In the full match-sim he was heavily involved, he was everywhere. He laid a really nice tackle (not sure on who), he was linking up and being an option in multiple possession chains. He kicked a nice goal on the run after running hard to be an option.

He also nailed three set-shot goals on an angle, about 40 out, on the wrong side for a leftie. One of which was from the boundary.

Then after all the drills they did run-throughs, some from between the 50 arcs, and some around the boundary. Ward was dominant in the boundary run throughs (bar the one where Callow flew by him). He was leading everyone by 10m. However in the very last whole-lap run through he was soundly beaten by Phillips, Maginess, Moore and a few others. But I think that was largely because he did more half-lap run through than others.

Maginess - stood out athletically as you would expect. He was leading in ever run-through and ended up being overtaken by Phillips at the death in the final full-lap run.

In the match-sim he was winning the ball and dishing it out, and then pushing off and running hard. Had a nice passage of play against Worpel too, giving him the Ol' Dusty don't argue. He looked impressive and seems to have found his feet.

MacDonald - looked extremely clean in the handball/pressure drill. Moved smoothly through traffic and has a burst of pace that will allow him to get some separation from opponents.

In the full match-sim he was playing mostly at HFF. During one passage of play he tried a risky handball that Worpel picked off, only for MacDonald to absolutely hammer him in a tackle.

Based on what other more regular watchers have said he seems to have been at least as much of a stand out as Ward so far, and is a good chance to play early. Not sure how we are going to fit everyone in.

Downie - kicking is sublime and he has a rocket. For a fair while early on he was practicing kicking with his opposite, which seemed to be decent. Seems like something he can rely on in games.

In one of the ball-movement drills (handballing/contest on a wing, then break and deliver it forward) he was able to position himself to be a option for the dish-off and moved the ball forward. He seemed to find that space each time.

Also - Sicily was going head to head with Maginess in run-throughs between the 50 arcs. He looked bigger too. I was surprised to see that he had that much toe, it took a few run throughs to work out who it was. Very encouraging to see him running like that.

He was also launching balls in typical Sicily fashion, and took an excellent contested mark in the match-sim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 quality young mids showing plenty so far this pre season is our dreams coming true. If Ward, McDonald and McGuinness turn into A graders then our re build will be coming along nicely. Add a star key forward and its game on.

The only down side is the quality of players on light duties. But we just need to keep finding 3 or 4 players each year and our long term prospects will look a lot brighter.

3 quality young mids showing plenty so far this pre season is our dreams coming true. If Ward, McDonald and McGuinness turn into A graders then our re build will be coming along nicely. Add a star key forward and its game on.

The only down side is the quality of players on light duties. But we just need to keep finding 3 or 4 players each year and our long term prospects will look a lot brighter.
I can’t wait until we finally push back into contending again which will no doubt coincide with Geelong falling off the cliff.

Oh and another player who I think can make a nice leap forward this season is Downie. Got a feeling he’ll surprise a few at some point this season.

Jut got back from beach so traning today

Beautiful day down at Waverley and it was a long session

No Shows
Brockman, Morris

Rehab
Gunston, Seamus, Saunders, Wingard, CJ and Day

Limited program
Howe, JOM, Downie, DGB

Box Hill

Academy

Till next time
How is CJ coming along with his program? Same with Gunston and Day.

It seems like Mitchell and his crew have been a real breath of fresh air for the club.

The intensity of the session was unlike any I'd watched when Clarko was at the helm - granted I obviously I didn't go to every session, so I could have simply missed the harder sessions.

There was real aggression with tackling, chase-downs and competing in the air. Quite risky TBH, but it was great to see.

Lewis's comments regarding the ball movement echo what we have wanted - faster ball movement that gives forwards the best chance of having an impact, which means no more slow football that we saw under Clarko these last few years.

It seems that the group is tighter than it has been in the past too.

The 2 16 year olds training with us atm, some info from my PoV.

Nick Watson - Eastern Ranges - 168cm, could go top 5 in 2023 if he gets to around 175-180cm, kid dominated in the u17's, playing really well in mid and then going forward to kick i believe if i remember correctly 5 goals in a game, talented kid, but very short atm, good speed, nice skills, good goal kicking and pressure, just has a desire to win a contest.

Zane Duursma - Gippsland Power - 185cm, didnt see as much of him, but he is the brother of Xavier at Port and seems to be a decent talent, at this early stage maybe a 2nd rounder? i need to see more of him, but is likely to get drafted at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back