Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

He was never lightening quick at u/18s though. He broke lines... but never streaked.

The probability he is a medium paced outside player is high.
Perhaps. We may find this year that his U18 style of play doesn't translate to VFL/AFL footy and he's more Shiels than Smith as a winger. I'm just providing some additional info that helps explain why it wasn't really going to be seen in 2021.

Perhaps. We may find this year that his U18 style of play doesn't translate to VFL/AFL footy and he's more Shiels than Smith as a winger. I'm just providing some additional info that helps explain why it wasn't really going to be seen in 2021.
I get that.

He is so likeable that we all want him to find a niche. 100% behind him.

Howe is slow and he showed that you don't necessarily need to be lightning quick to be a wingman. Downie has a lethal boot that really no one bar Sicily can match. He's a nice size and at worst is reasonably quick. There are enough tools there for him to develop into a good player IMO.
Hey J2S, thanks for your report. Was Connor Smash in the match sim? If so, did he line up in the middle?

Hey J2S, thanks for your report. Was Connor Smash in the match sim? If so, did he line up in the middle?

Yeah saw him in the middle for a few passages of play. Got by a would-be tackler at one point with ease. Not sure where he lined up outside of those few passages though, he may have been off? TFP may have had a better look from where he was watching.

He looked absolutely gassed in the last whole lap run-through to finish the session. He was running in quicksand. I think it was his first big session since returning from Ireland though.

Yeah saw him in the middle for a few passages of play. Got by a would-be tackler at one point with ease. Not sure where he lined up outside of those few passages though, he may have been off? TFP may have had a better look from where he was watching.

He looked absolutely gassed in the last whole lap run-through to finish the session. He was running in quicksand. I think it was his first big session since returning from Ireland though.

The simple fact he hasn't trained with the main group this pre-season has me thinking he might not play in Round 1. That's a lot of competitive football he's missed.

Last edited:
Curious how Serrong is going for anyone who has been at training?

He looks like another hard worker to.

Outside of Ward and McDonald last Monday’s training he was probably the next in-line out of our drafted recruits that impressed me.
There was one drill where he really gave me the feeling he may end up being a potential replacement for Gunners?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The simple fact he hasn't trained with the main group this pre-season has me thinking he might not play in Round 1. That's a lot of competitive football he's missed.

He’s been in Ireland and just returned to scorching heat. He’ll be acclimatised and match ready by Round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have heard a lot about Ward, McDonald, Finn etc but how is Jai tracking? After his impressive run of games last year was a feeling with a big preseason to lean up and improve his tank he could push himself into the 22. Is he training well but not really standing out?

Have heard a lot about Ward, McDonald, Finn etc but how is Jai tracking? After his impressive run of games last year was a feeling with a big preseason to lean up and improve his tank he could push himself into the 22. Is he training well but not really standing out?

Was about to ask exactly the same thing about Newcombe - must be flying under the radar. Still as long as he isn't injured and has done most of the work we should see him up another level from last year which is exciting

Damien Mascitti and David Mackay are doing the backs, Clinton Young is midfield and Cam Howat is forwards. Andy Ottens is Senior Assistant and Clint Proctor Senior Coach.
Right so i heard from the horses mouth that mascitti was helping out the forwards while Hale was out. Hale is back today. Mascitti's role at box hill is in defense

Was about to ask exactly the same thing about Newcombe - must be flying under the radar. Still as long as he isn't injured and has done most of the work we should see him up another level from last year which is exciting
I reckon he'll make himself best 22 whether he gets talked up or not.

He seems to have something above and beyond most of the rest, even if athletically he's not a standout.

He strikes me as a natural footballer with a bucket load of toughness and will to win any contest.

Sent from my SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anyone else get the feeling Tom Mitchell is in for a really, really big year in 2022 😍
I reckon. Won the Brownlow in 2018. Broke his leg pre-season 2019 and misses the year. Steadily returns to form over 2020 and first half of 2021 seasons. Back half of last season he was seemingly back to that 2018 form, at least in terms of his Brownlow polling rate.

Hopefully after a full preseason he's completely back to his best and pushing to be even better than 2018.

I reckon he'll make himself best 22 whether he gets talked up or not.

He seems to have something above and beyond most of the rest, even if athletically he's not a standout.

He strikes me as a natural footballer with a bucket load of toughness and will to win any contest.

Sent from my SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Didn't we sign him on a 4yr Rookie Deal or similar?

He's seemingly got the intent & has plenty of time - I think he'll make it as a player as well, but won't be put off if it isn't straight away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back