Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Covid has NOTHING to do with this thread, unless...

a) players or coaches miss training because of Covid

b) training times/arrangements get changed because of Covid

It has nothing to do with any other threads on this forum unless

a) another club loses players to Covid

b) the AFL changes plans/ announces something due to Covid

Is it time to give people days off? I'm tired of wiping Covid posts off every ******* thread.

celebrate d&d GIF by Hyper RPG

Yeah but that’s a fairly important monitoring role you have.

Who would take your place in performing that task if you, say, went down with COVID?
Love it.

That depends on where he lines up. Hasn’t been seen much in stoppage drills.
That's good imo. I thought the centre square functioned much better when he started off the HFF and just played as a mid after. I think this is the best strategy for him because he seemed to just get found out for a lack of pace and explosiveness in the centre square.

No doubt. I'm sure all the older guys are respected. I think what was meant was that Mitchell appears to be friends with the younger group to the level that he is part of group trips and hangs outside the club.
Just started late last season he started hanging with the guys. Because before that Moore, Day, CJ & Scrim would be seen together so much, even my time at the Hawks that was the case & even knowing these lads you kinda find out the social groups at the club. Phillips & Mitchell joining. Magginess, Worpel, Lewis also make appearances amongst them. Jackson Ross was amongst that group for awhile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm telling you now we are going to surprise alot of teams and media experts cough If the midfield clicks.

All the s.mitchell knockers will go very quiet

I don’t actually think such an outcome is that fanciful. But we’ll enjoy it unfolding

Any news on J.Gunston is he training with the main group ?
Doing his own program away from the main drills with the 'limited' group.

Monday morning training started with some drills and I'd love to say I got a good scan of everyone but I couldn't take my eyes off Finn.

I won't go into too much detail because we've heard plenty about him and his preseason already, but man. Watching Box Hill my main knock on Finn that I saw as the root cause of a few of his weaknesses is that he didn't have a feral gear he could switch to, mongrel. But from what I have now seen, he's looks to have harnessed some anger and it's paying dividends.

Especially during drills it's hard not to watch the midfeild group, their drills are so much faster and more fluid than the forwards/defenders, especially the key positions. But upon watching a few variations of marking drills I was blown away by Callow, the contrast in what he shows from last year is insane. He's always been strong but he was giving Hartigan a very hard time under the ball.

Similarly blown away by Lewis, but I reserved my judgement for the match sim. Mitch has made a believer and a doubter of me before so I thought I'd contain my excitement. But not long into the match sim the lid was well and truly off. In one quarter he clunked 2 on great leads, put one through and lowered the eyes with another. Shortly after he worked up the ground as the opposing brown team was starting to rebound, and cut off a risky kick into the corridor.

Speaking of intercept marks, after Callow impressing in the drills against Hartigan, in the match sim Denver was one step ahead of him seemingly at every turn. I see this as wraps to DGB and not a knock on Callow. Coming out of the back half I was shocked to see how involved Morrison was in the yellow teams ball movement.

Worpel was excellent, arrogant and as well as breaking packs and clearing the ball - kicking gutsy low darts and running latterly to find a better target. A maturing footballer.

Ned Reeves was a huge standout for me in the match sim, he was winning some taps against Big Boy and Lynch but more importantly his presence was felt in the game in general play, outside of ruck contests. Often floating to his side's defensive 50 after a contest.

Connor MacDonald was probably the next noticeable to be after the aforementioned. He was playing an outside role but was very vigilantly working into space and planting himself a good distance from stoppages, and he was rewarded.

Blanck and Rule looked very comfortable, Blanck with a Gibson style flying fist spoil in the match sim and Rule seemingly drilling with midfeilders and running nicely. Aducci had great moments in match sim but looks behind fitness wise. Greene and Ed Phillips had more to say than a lot of Hawthorn players in the match sim as well.

Quite a few uninjured players missing, not sure what was up with that. Maybe I had heat stroke but didn't spot Ward, Day, Impey or Sicily. I did however see the rehab group taking Fionn through some skills which was nice to watch.

Duke popped up throughout the day, but in the drills following match sim he stood with Sammy and had a big chat. Looks like Mitchell is really invested in him which I'm very happy to see.

I was quite distracted at Bunjil Bagora so I've really had to draw out my recollections into a full report but I hope it's been enjoyable

Monday morning training started with some drills and I'd love to say I got a good scan of everyone but I couldn't take my eyes off Finn.

I won't go into too much detail because we've heard plenty about him and his preseason already, but man. Watching Box Hill my main knock on Finn that I saw as the root cause of a few of his weaknesses is that he didn't have a feral gear he could switch to, mongrel. But from what I have now seen, he's looks to have harnessed some anger and it's paying dividends.

Especially during drills it's hard not to watch the midfeild group, their drills are so much faster and more fluid than the forwards/defenders, especially the key positions. But upon watching a few variations of marking drills I was blown away by Callow, the contrast in what he shows from last year is insane. He's always been strong but he was giving Hartigan a very hard time under the ball.

Similarly blown away by Lewis, but I reserved my judgement for the match sim. Mitch has made a believer and a doubter of me before so I thought I'd contain my excitement. But not long into the match sim the lid was well and truly off. In one quarter he clunked 2 on great leads, put one through and lowered the eyes with another. Shortly after he worked up the ground as the opposing brown team was starting to rebound, and cut off a risky kick into the corridor.

Speaking of intercept marks, after Callow impressing in the drills against Hartigan, in the match sim Denver was one step ahead of him seemingly at every turn. I see this as wraps to DGB and not a knock on Callow. Coming out of the back half I was shocked to see how involved Morrison was in the yellow teams ball movement.

Worpel was excellent, arrogant and as well as breaking packs and clearing the ball - kicking gutsy low darts and running latterly to find a better target. A maturing footballer.

Ned Reeves was a huge standout for me in the match sim, he was winning some taps against Big Boy and Lynch but more importantly his presence was felt in the game in general play, outside of ruck contests. Often floating to his side's defensive 50 after a contest.

Connor MacDonald was probably the next noticeable to be after the aforementioned. He was playing an outside role but was very vigilantly working into space and planting himself a good distance from stoppages, and he was rewarded.

Blanck and Rule looked very comfortable, Blanck with a Gibson style flying fist spoil in the match sim and Rule seemingly drilling with midfeilders and running nicely. Aducci had great moments in match sim but looks behind fitness wise. Greene and Ed Phillips had more to say than a lot of Hawthorn players in the match sim as well.

Quite a few uninjured players missing, not sure what was up with that. Maybe I had heat stroke but didn't spot Ward, Day, Impey or Sicily. I did however see the rehab group taking Fionn through some skills which was nice to watch.

Duke popped up throughout the day, but in the drills following match sim he stood with Sammy and had a big chat. Looks like Mitchell is really invested in him which I'm very happy to see.

I was quite distracted at Bunjil Bagora so I've really had to draw out my recollections into a full report but I hope it's been enjoyable
Cheers Applause GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back