Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Bottom line is we have too many limited inside mids who have shown minimal ability to damage on the outside or go forward and kick goals.

TOM, JOM, Worps, Sheils and now Nash, Finn and Newcomb. Add Morrison and Howe on the wings and there is low to no hurt factor.

Day, Bramble, Ward, McDonald and Butler are crucial to our re build.
No hurt factor with Nash and Newcombe? Maybe you should talk with the players they tackled.

No point being good at hitting targets if you cant get the ball

sure but being tall, fast and strong doesn't really impact that as much on a wing

footy smarts, reading the play and good positioning will get u the ball way more on the outside than any physical attribute

sure but being tall, fast and strong doesn't really impact that as much on a wing

footy smarts, reading the play and good positioning will get u the ball way more on the outside than any physical attribute
I’d disagree on speed being important as a winger. Morrison has the endurance to play wing. But without the speed he can’t run and open up the opposition either with the ball or in order to create space for our fellow midfielders and forwards.

Something Phillips and Howe both suffer from as well. They can find the ball but when we have an already slow midfield their hurt factor and ability to improve the teams hurt factor is limited.

Compare that to Langdon who doesn’t have much but speed but he opens the ground up so much for the dees.

who gives a fu** if he can hit targets inside 50

For mine it's always been about leg speed for Morrison. When he first came in for the seniors he was good at finding space and both recieving and promoting the footy, but never really eating up the ground to create unequal numbers that hurts the opposition. Also meant that a loose footy on the wing was tough for him to get to before the oppositon. That didn't change for mine over the proceeding couple years. Also not a big or crafty mark to play forward, not strong enough or quick off the mark to play back, he was definitely struggling to have enough qualities to overcome his deficiencies.
Always thought he was more than tough enough in the tackle, kid does not lack ticker.
Bit by bit it looks as though he's built up his body and if he can read the play exceptionally well he can counter pure foot speed by heading to the contest or getting some free space by going a step or two earlier than the oppostion.

Biggest problem though will always be when were out of possession. It's all well and good having a nice kick into the 50, but if the opposition is flying the other way 65% of the time because he doesn't have the toe to play through the middle of the ground and hold up play, we are farked.

Love 4P's optimism though, so I'll be pulling that he can be one of those players who improves just enough each year to become a solid 22 player.

Don't be surprised if players who we all thought had weaknesses suddenly look like they have more strengths under Sam.

This is pretty much the underlying mantra of his methodology and what made him such a phenomenal player, to build on strengths and not be dictated to by weaknesses.

The transformation of Nash alone makes me excited about what he can find within others on the list.

Don't be surprised if players who we all thought had weaknesses suddenly look like they have more strengths under Sam.

This is pretty much the underlying mantra of his methodology and what made him such a phenomenal player, to build on strengths and not be dictated to by weaknesses.

The transformation of Nash alone makes me excited about what he can find within others on the list.
needs to be more meta

I’d disagree on speed being important as a winger. Morrison has the endurance to play wing. But without the speed he can’t run and open up the opposition either with the ball or in order to create space for our fellow midfielders and forwards.

Something Phillips and Howe both suffer from as well. They can find the ball but when we have an already slow midfield their hurt factor and ability to improve the teams hurt factor is limited.

Compare that to Langdon who doesn’t have much but speed but he opens the ground up so much for the dees.

Wingman need to have some pace to be especially damaging. Howe and Morrison both played pretty well last season on the wing, but neither are damaging players. Morrison is tidy, and Howe was very solid. Phillips works extremely hard. But no team is going to worry about sitting a man on them - as they aren't going to cut you up in transition on the counter.

Guys like Bramble and Day couple (more) pace with skill. CJ has blistering pace and athleticism. These guys would give opposition coaches headaches. Hopefully Downie, who is a bit quicker and has a huge boot, will develop into one too.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that wasn't what i was arguing though, speed is definitely important as a winger

I was saying it doesn't really impact your ability to win the ball

For mine it's always been about leg speed for Morrison. When he first came in for the seniors he was good at finding space and both recieving and promoting the footy, but never really eating up the ground to create unequal numbers that hurts the opposition. Also meant that a loose footy on the wing was tough for him to get to before the oppositon. That didn't change for mine over the proceeding couple years. Also not a big or crafty mark to play forward, not strong enough or quick off the mark to play back, he was definitely struggling to have enough qualities to overcome his deficiencies.
Always thought he was more than tough enough in the tackle, kid does not lack ticker.
Bit by bit it looks as though he's built up his body and if he can read the play exceptionally well he can counter pure foot speed by heading to the contest or getting some free space by going a step or two earlier than the oppostion.

Biggest problem though will always be when were out of possession. It's all well and good having a nice kick into the 50, but if the opposition is flying the other way 65% of the time because he doesn't have the toe to play through the middle of the ground and hold up play, we are farked.

Love 4P's optimism though, so I'll be pulling that he can be one of those players who improves just enough each year to become a solid 22 player.
I get the sense that Morrison was/is being groomed to take Shiels role as the gut running, link up player. Have a rewatch of the R23 game against the Tuggers and you'll see how effective he can be. I have a feeling we will all be pleased with Morrison's 2023 season (barring injury).

I get the sense that Morrison was/is being groomed to take Shiels role as the gut running, link up player. Have a rewatch of the R23 game against the Tuggers and you'll see how effective he can be. I have a feeling we will all be pleased with Morrison's 2023 season (barring injury).

He will need to get much more ball thrn IMO.

He was definitely better last season, but he only topped 20 touches four times (three of which were 20, and the other was a season high of 22), on his way to averaging 16.5 touches for the season. So that's an area that he will really need to improve.

I like that he was able to lose his man and sneak forward and kick several goals (7 in 14 games).

Effective slow outside players that lack athleticism are quite rare. Best case scenario would see him develop into someone like Lachie Hunter, or Caleb Daniel.

Thanks AD. Shame that the Dooch does not have his fitness up to standard. I reckon that is the only thing stopping him from getting a shot. Ideally, he will get a run at some full-time training now and maybe a chance for a mid-season call up.
Yeah it seems the be the only thing stopping him, in his short stint in the match sim he showed what he does at VFL level which is a smart agile player with balance and closing speed. It's actually shocking from watching him in general play, he looks fitter than he is

I love this take. Morrison also takes a good overhead mark. Just like Shiels could be rotated into forward and back pockets, Morrison is a perfect player for the same thing

Morrison is not quick and needs to get more involved but he does have some attributes that are not given enough recognition. He reads the game very well and he is a good decision-maker with ball in hand. He rarely seems rushed. He is a handy player to have on the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back