Cricket Thread: Bring on the Kiwis

Remove this Banner Ad

Unlikely. He didn't play at all between 2012-2016, and 2020 & 2021 were almost completely wiped out due to COVID.

Cummins age is currently 28 yrs 322 days. I can't say that he won't play until he's 35... but history says that few fast bowlers last that long. Yes, Courtney Walsh & Jimmy Anderson did it, but there are a hell of a lot more that were long retired by then.
McGrath was 37 when he retired. I know where you are coming from and historical stats enable the position you are taking. What you aren't taking into account though is Cummins does not rely on express pace for his wickets, in fact it is rare to see him bowl a ball in the high 140s when he can reach the 150s. His guile, his ability to use seam and swing to take his wickets in the 130s says to me that his career will not finish when he is 32, with Green slowly coming on and his workloads increasing, I believe this will help to prolong Cummins potency.

I guess time will tell but I believe the pointy end has him in the 500 wickets secured by careers end

McGrath was 37 when he retired. I know where you are coming from and historical stats enable the position you are taking. What you aren't taking into account though is Cummins does not rely on express pace for his wickets, in fact it is rare to see him bowl a ball in the high 140s when he can reach the 150s. His guile, his ability to use seam and swing to take his wickets in the 130s says to me that his career will not finish when he is 32, with Green slowly coming on and his workloads increasing, I believe this will help to prolong Cummins potency.

I guess time will tell but I believe the pointy end has him in the 500 wickets secured by careers end
Yep... and in McGrath's last 6 seasons he had 49, 8, 47, 62, 18, and 6 wickets - an average of 31.7 per year. Pattinson is still 366 wickets behind McGrath. It's possible that Pattinson will catch him - but it's a really, really big ask.

My guess is that Pattinson will end up with 400-450 wickets. That would still a magnificent career, and his strike rates & averages will be comparable with the greats - but his final wicket tally will not be. This is no reflection on his abilities - it simply reflects the number of years he has lost to COVID & injury.

Yep... and in McGrath's last 6 seasons he had 49, 8, 47, 62, 18, and 6 wickets - an average of 31.7 per year. Pattinson is still 366 wickets behind McGrath. It's possible that Pattinson will catch him - but it's a really, really big ask.

My guess is that Pattinson will end up with 400-450 wickets. That would still a magnificent career, and his strike rates & averages will be comparable with the greats - but his final wicket tally will not be. This is no reflection on his abilities - it simply reflects the number of years he has lost to COVID & injury.
Pattinson?

He has retired...

What a terrible post. This is a historically bad post made by the worst poster the world has ever seen.

We will be taking about this post for centuries.

It made me laugh at the ridiculousness so it wasn't all bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Dux to Dunce, Travis Head's form certainly had a dramatic reversal - from the highs of the Ashes, where he was rightly named Player of the Series, to the lows of Pakistan, where he could only manage a pitiful 68 runs from 4 innings, at an average of 22.66. His total for the series was less than half that of any other Australian batsman, with only the bowlers scoring fewer runs.

This is the point I was making earlier - about his lack of consistency.

Right now, I'm wondering if he's just a flat track bully. He's had 2 outstanding series, both of which were against historically bad teams - Sri Lanka 2018/19 and England 2021/22. Against teams which are historically bad, he's struggled consistently. Is he capable of being more than just a flat track bully, flogging historically bad teams at home? Is he capable of performing against decent teams, or away from the comforts of home?

From Dux to Dunce, Travis Head's form certainly had a dramatic reversal - from the highs of the Ashes, where he was rightly named Player of the Series, to the lows of Pakistan, where he could only manage a pitiful 68 runs from 4 innings, at an average of 22.66. His total for the series was less than half that of any other Australian batsman, with only the bowlers scoring fewer runs.

This is the point I was making earlier - about his lack of consistency.

Right now, I'm wondering if he's just a flat track bully. He's had 2 outstanding series, both of which were against historically bad teams - Sri Lanka 2018/19 and England 2021/22. Against teams which are historically bad, he's struggled consistently. Is he capable of being more than just a flat track bully, flogging historically bad teams at home? Is he capable of performing against decent teams, or away from the comforts of home?
Disagree here, the English bowlers we’re generally very good through the series and none of the wickets could be considered roads especially in Hobart where he played a fantastic counter attacking innings.

He will be a frustrating and inconsistent player to a degree because he’ll almost always attack and take the game on, when it comes off he’ll be great when it doesn’t his place will be questioned.

I think the batting line up is currently strong enough to have a player of his type as he can change or even win a match for you with his approach but he won’t do it every game.

He’s an icing player for me not the cake.

Disagree here, the English bowlers we’re generally very good through the series and none of the wickets could be considered roads especially in Hobart where he played a fantastic counter attacking innings.

He will be a frustrating and inconsistent player to a degree because he’ll almost always attack and take the game on, when it comes off he’ll be great when it doesn’t his place will be questioned.

I think the batting line up is currently strong enough to have a player of his type as he can change or even win a match for you with his approach but he won’t do it every game.

He’s an icing player for me not the cake.
Agreed. He hasn't got a Test temperament that covers all situations.
Paradoxically, he has been of most value when wickets are falling rapidly around him and he waltzes in and attacks, getting away with it. When everything is fine, and he comes in at 3 for 300, he seems exposed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back