Cricket Thread: Bring on the Kiwis

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
I didn't suggest going with 10, though that could be considered a better option than selecting Head or Khawaja.

Find another player, who isn't already a proven failure at Test level. Learn from the Mitch Marsh mistakes, and stop going back the same dry well - over & over & over again.

Head isn't a proven failure at all.

I didn't suggest going with 10, though that could be considered a better option than selecting Head or Khawaja.

Find another player, who isn't already a proven failure at Test level. Learn from the Mitch Marsh mistakes, and stop going back the same dry well - over & over & over again.

Head and Khawaja are hardly in the Mitch Marsh sphere of useless. Both are effectively 40 average batters at test level, which is really test standard (and not a thing more).

For reference - England only has one batter they have selected in the last two years with a higher career average than these two. They're still selecting the likes of Jos Butler, and Rory Burns in their squads, and a whole lot of youngsters who have had very unremarkable starts to their careers (being Mitch Marsh level, performance-wise).

Last edited:
May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Who knew winning titles was as easy as driving a dump truck full of cash to Khawaja.
Younis Khan and Andy Flower couldn't get it done

But Usman Khawaja is head and shoulders above those chumps

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

I'm all ears

I'm all ears

The name that interests me with the 2021 Sheffield shield season is Josh Phillipe. Seems a bit of a shock that a 24-year-old who has scored 434 at 54.25 couldn't get a look in with our A's squad (though it is just 1 century and a couple of 50s).

betterthanu

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 29, 2006
ADL
AFL Club
Adelaide

Head who averaged 51 at test level at one point in 2019?

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

Another pearler from you

Neither has nailed down a spot and boast solid records rather than good ones:
Khawaja averages 40.7 in test cricket
Head averages 39.8 in test cricket

However...
Khawaja is 34 years of age
Head is 27 years of age

C'mon selectors, don't make the wrong call.
If Khawaja plays, it should be as the 2nd opener as a stop gap, not keeping Head out.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
If Khawaja plays, it should be as the 2nd opener as a stop gap, not keeping Head out.
Yeah I'd be happy for this

I don't think Marcus Harris is good enough at that level

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
When there's not an obvious next player up that's when the selectors earn their keep.

They are the experts. Who is the one they've identified who may not have put years of dominant performances on the board yet but they believe has the technique and temperament to succeed at test level?

They did it with Marnus Labuschagne. Was averaging low 30s in Shield cricket. No one was calling for his inclusion. They saw something in him they liked though, were vindicated and now he's our 2nd best batsman.

Likewise Healy, Warne, McGrath were all identified by selectors before their talent was obvious to us grandstand observers.

So selectors... come on down. Do your job.

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
When there's not an obvious next player up that's when the selectors earn their keep.

They are the experts. Who is the one they've identified who may not have put years of dominant performances on the board yet but they believe has the technique and temperament to succeed at test level?

They did it with Marnus Labuschagne. Was averaging low 30s in Shield cricket. No one was calling for his inclusion. They saw something in him they liked though, were vindicated and now he's our 2nd best batsman.

Likewise Healy, Warne, McGrath were all identified by selectors before their talent was obvious to us grandstand observers.

So selectors... come on down. Do your job.

I still think Renshaw had the right temperament at test level.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I still think Renshaw had the right temperament at test level.
Yeah I was really disappointed to see him discarded

After a decent start to his test career he came back with three horror Shield games to kick off the next season and didn't get picked for the first test of the summer

I maintain that if he'd tweaked a hamstring and missed those three Shield games he'd be our locked in test opener now

Yeah I was really disappointed to see him discarded

After a decent start to his test career he came back with three horror Shield games to kick off the next season and didn't get picked for the first test of the summer

I maintain that if he'd tweaked a hamstring and missed those three Shield games he'd be our locked in test opener now
Yes, they should have given him at least 2 tests & if he was still out form, then discard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
That's a problem every state has to deal with. Cricket has, for the most part, played second fiddle to AFL/NRL.
There's a theory that AFL takes athletes who are also suited to cricket which affects the Aussie Rules states

Whereas the big gronks who are suited to rugby are less likely to also be highly skilled cricketers lost to the game

Hence NSW and Qld produce more national cricketers per capita than other states. And Victoria produces bugger all despite their size

Last edited:
May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Carey apparently given the nod for the 1st test.
There was an interview with Inglis recently with him talking with his Pommie accent. It just rubbed me the wrong way. This is the Ashes! We're not England

There was an interview with Inglis recently with him talking with his Pommie accent. It just rubbed me the wrong way. This is the Ashes! We're not England
Born in Yorkshire.... I don't mind the accent as same as my grandfather.

Best English cricketers usually come from Yorkshire.

Also, WA may lose their test to Melbourne.

Boycott? Root?
Vaughan whilst not born in Yorkshire, spent all his cricketing days there.

Bairstow also from the current side.

Also, many great older players like Trueman, Hutton, Ilingworth, Sutcliffe, Hurst, Rhodes.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Born in Yorkshire.... I don't mind the accent as same as my grandfather.

Best English cricketers usually come from Yorkshire.

Also, WA may lose their test to Melbourne.
Hobart also lobbying hard to get the 5th test, if it's taken off Perth.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Cricket Australia is like AFC

They pick their favourites early and it's near impossible to get dropped once you are in the starting line up.

They also wait until a non preferred rookies form is past its peak to get them a match, so can give the optimum opportunity of failure allowing them to re pick a favourite or senior player with little push back.

Or am I too cynical?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back