Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Would vomit if Maddinson gets another crack

Yes I know he's churning out runs and probably deserves it but I hate that he got undeserved chances last time and that he was retained while Ferg was sent packing.

Plus there's the moustache

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
So what are people's expectations on the Ashes?

I know it's harsh, but I think Paine out actually helps Australia. Both Carey and Inglis can bat really well.

Smith, labuschagne, Green to a lesser extent are the only guys I have faith in making runs.

Hazelwood and Cummins are going to bowl well.

That's still 6 spots that I'm not confident will perform.

So what are people's expectations on the Ashes?

I know it's harsh, but I think Paine out actually helps Australia. Both Carey and Inglis can bat really well.

Smith, labuschagne, Green to a lesser extent are the only guys I have faith in making runs.

Hazelwood and Cummins are going to bowl well.

That's still 6 spots that I'm not confident will perform.

It's in Australia so Warner will end up making runs. Lyon if he can avoid any hand injuries will likely have a solid series as well.

3-1 Australia is probably where I'm sitting, especially with Archer ruled out.

Will Jhye Richardson play as 3rd quick ahead of Starc?
Selectors should seriously consider it.

They should be rotatiing the quicks at some stage as it was our undoing last Summer.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
FB_IMG_1638221649399.jpg

So if Usman and Trav switched states the Redbacks would be swimming in silverware and Queensland winning spoons

Cricket wisdom of Ed Cowan

Last edited:
May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Other pearls from Ed Cowan:

Allan Border was no good because Australia lost a lot of games even when he made runs

Muttiah Muralitharan was a crap bowler because Sri Lanka didn't win

Or maybe there are 10 other players in a team, Ed?

betterthanu

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 29, 2006
ADL
AFL Club
Adelaide
Will we hear about the final 11 before the toss of 1st test or is it always last minute? I cant remember when they've announced in the past.

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
Will we hear about the final 11 before the toss of 1st test or is it always last minute? I cant remember when they've announced in the past.
Yeah, we won't know who is favoured between Trav and Usman until the toss. They will play this curtain raiser warm up game first before the squad for the first test is finalised. Usually 13 players. We should have been told if Carey is the keeper by now though. My guess is they are waiting after the same game to justify his selection or non selection either way. Which is pretty disrespectful to Carey since he has been the air apparent for so long and would have been the test keeper. He is entitled to have a form slump with the bat like any player. He has had a sensational career for so long. Just because it's ahead of the test shouldn't be career defining. CA need to stop treating players so poorly.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Neither has nailed down a spot and boast solid records rather than good ones:
Khawaja averages 40.7 in test cricket
Head averages 39.8 in test cricket

However...
Khawaja is 34 years of age
Head is 27 years of age

C'mon selectors, don't make the wrong call.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Ed Cowan was the almost the most boring as bat sh*t batsmen we've almost ever seen.

He failed at test cricket and wasn't much better at FC level.
His record against the Redbacks was pretty good from memory haha!

Probably the biggest disadvantage South Australian players have to be honest

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Neither has nailed down a spot and boast solid records rather than good ones:
Khawaja averages 40.7 in test cricket
Head averages 39.8 in test cricket

However...
Khawaja is 34 years of age
Head is 27 years of age

C'mon selectors, don't make the wrong call.
The right call is to select neither of them.

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
His record against the Redbacks was pretty good from memory haha!

Probably the biggest disadvantage South Australian players have to be honest
The problem for SA cricket is our afl and sanfl obsession. If you are a natural sportsman and play both footy and cricket which most do, the current culture is for you to pull out of cricket and aim for afl and sanfl footy. After a few years, they go back to cricket if that path has closed. Not saying this is wrong but it would hinder SAs development pathways. I guess the reality is that it's easier to get a paying football gig than a cricket one.

The problem for SA cricket is our afl and sanfl obsession. If you are a natural sportsman and play both footy and cricket which most do, the current culture is for you to pull out of cricket and aim for afl and sanfl footy. After a few years, they go back to cricket if that path has closed. Not saying this is wrong but it would hinder SAs development pathways. I guess the reality is that it's easier to get a paying football gig than a cricket one.

That's a problem every state has to deal with. Cricket has, for the most part, played second fiddle to AFL/NRL.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Would be a bold call to go with 10
I didn't suggest going with 10, though that could be considered a better option than selecting Head or Khawaja.

Find another player, who isn't already a proven failure at Test level. Learn from the Mitch Marsh mistakes, and stop going back the same dry well - over & over & over again.

I didn't suggest going with 10, though that could be considered a better option than selecting Head or Khawaja.

Find another player, who isn't already a proven failure at Test level. Learn from the Mitch Marsh mistakes, and stop going back the same dry well - over & over & over again.
Who do you suggest?

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Who do you suggest?
I don't know, and that's the problem. Our production line of fast bowlers is working nicely - but our production line of Shield quality (let alone Test quality) batsmen has all but stopped. I do know that Head & Khawaja aren't the answer - if they are, then you're asking the wrong questions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back