Cricket Thread: Bring on the Kiwis

Remove this Banner Ad

the english batter had no advantage other than her bat left the crease as she expected the ball to be bowled. that has no place in cricket. nothing wrong with how the game is played now. allowing mankad in this fashion is ridiculous.
You can hardly tell them you’re not going to bowl the ball.
Don’t leave your crease until you see the ball.
Pretty easy I would have thought.

the english batter had no advantage other than her bat left the crease as she expected the ball to be bowled. that has no place in cricket. nothing wrong with how the game is played now. allowing mankad in this fashion is ridiculous.
Umm... no. She wouldn't have been out if she'd left when the ball was expected to be bowled. She left early. Not as early as many other batsmen, but still early.

There has to be a finite point, where the Mankad is or isn't legal - otherwise we end up with the ridiculous situation of having batsmen being half-way down the pitch before the ball has even been bowled. The English batter was only a fraction early, but she was still early. She jumped the gun, and was given out as a result.

It's no different to a batter being given out while trying to steal a base, or a swimmer leaving the blocks before the starter's gun. Go early, and you should expect to pay the price.

Cricket is a game of milliseconds. A player is runout if they get their bat across the line 1 TV frame after the bails are dislodged. Similarly, it doesn't matter if the non-striker leaves the crease 5 seconds before the ball is delivered, or 0.1 seconds - if they leave early, they can be dismissed in this manner.

... and that's exactly the way it should be.

Last edited:
In the case of the English batter, the 3rd Umpire was asked to review whether she had left the crease before the bowler's front foot landed. I don't know about you - but my point of release always occurred after I planted my front foot.

The video review showed that the batter had left her crease before the front foot landed. She was thus out of her ground before the bowler's expected ball release, and was thus given out.

Umm... no. She wouldn't have been out if she'd left when the ball was expected to be bowled. She left early. Not as early as many other batsmen, but still early.

There has to be a finite point, where the Mankad is or isn't legal - otherwise we end up with the ridiculous situation of having batsmen being half-way down the pitch before the ball has even been bowled. The English batter was only a fraction early, but she was still early. She jumped the gun, and was given out as a result.

It's no different to a batter being given out while trying to steal a base, or a swimmer leaving the blocks before the starter's gun. Go early, and you should expect to pay the price.

Cricket is a game of milliseconds. A player is runout if they get their bat across the line 1 TV frame after the bails are dislodged. Similarly, it doesn't matter if the non-striker leaves the crease 5 seconds before the ball is delivered, or 0.1 seconds - if they leave early, they can be dismissed in this manner.

... and that's exactly the way it should be.

my argument isnt and never has been with the decision. my beef is with the existence. that dismissal offers nothing to the game.

my argument isnt and never has been with the decision. my beef is with the existence. that dismissal offers nothing to the game.
I don't understand why you want the non-striker to be allowed to cheat with impunity. Why are you so insistent that they should have an unfair advantage, which the fielding side would have no means to combat?

If the non-striker wants to start half way down the pitch, they can go and play indoor cricket.

I think it's absolutely nonsensical to suggest that Mankad shouldn't exist.

The non striker is trying to get an advantage by leaving their crease. The fielding team has a right to try and prevent that.

Don't f*ck around and you won't find out - if you don't want to be mankadded, make sure you're behind the crease until the ball is released.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And we are all out for 230.

Another year.....
Lol at Blewett claiming we will be better this year with more depth, yet hardly anyone outside Head or Carey made any runs.

How good are we going to be when they are both on national duties...

Lol at Blewett claiming we will be better this year with more depth, yet hardly anyone outside Head or Carey made any runs.

How good are we going to be when they are both on national duties...
Heading for disaster, pardon the pun.

The change in district cricket might help when it kicks in next year I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back